Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Disorderly

General Election

Feel really sorry for the LibDems here. They proved that a coalition government can work (ignoring whether or not we like the outcomes/whether they should have gone in with Labour) and for that will a) be blamed for all that's bad from the last 5 years, b) get hammered for not doing more to rein in the Tories and c) disappear into oblivion

Which is a shame as I still think they are among the more sane among them. Sniffer is likely right as to what happens in May and that makes me wonder about the "divisiveness" for the UK of a party who clearly wants stuff all to do with the UK/England having a massive say in it.

the electoral sysytem needs overhauled. this whoever gets the most votes in the constituancy thing is b******s. far too many MPs sitting in parliament that the majority of their constituants didnt vote for. they need to bring in a transferable vote system. I've always voted Labour when i have been in England, (except once when i voted lib dem in protest over the Iraq war), and i live in an area where a chimp could stand for labour and likely win (Liverpool Wavertree), but this time around im voting for the Green Party

Same constituency and I think Berger may well have been a good constituency MP and will certainly get in again but I'll be voting Green too.

Labour still polls well in the key marginal per Ashcroft. I'd like a Labour/Green/Plaid Cymru coalition with SNP ad hoc support if that's still a minority.

Feel really sorry for the LibDems here. They proved that a coalition government can work (ignoring whether or not we like the outcomes/whether they should have gone in with Labour) and for that will a) be blamed for all that's bad from the last 5 years, b) get hammered for not doing more to rein in the Tories and c) disappear into oblivion

Which is a shame as I still think they are among the more sane among them. Sniffer is likely right as to what happens in May and that makes me wonder about the "divisiveness" for the UK of a party who clearly wants stuff all to do with the UK/England having a massive say in it.

The Lib Dems can f*** off after how they betrayed practically everyone who voted for them and enabled the Tories to inflict all the damage they have done. Hopefully they will be f***ing annihilated in May.

I don't feel for them, they paid the price for systematically deceiving the electorate seat by seat, pretending to be an absolute alternative to whomever out of red or blue was challenging. You can play that game when you've no responsibility to follow through on what you say.

Having said that, I've got no sympathy for anyone who fell for it, I also think tuition fees have little bearing on where the Lib Dems find themselves now, those who voted for and then abandoned them in disgust were not listening to what Clegg was saying re coalition

If the opinion polls are to be believed they will feck labour up big time up here. Could prompt another referendum very quickly of they hold the balance of power. Can't see them going into any coalition without that being a prerequisite.

:pltbt:

The Lib Dems can f*** off after how they betrayed practically everyone who voted for them and enabled the Tories to inflict all the damage they have done. Hopefully they will be f***ing annihilated in May.

:applause:

I think the Tories will win with a small majority

They could very well get the most seats, but there is more or less zero chance of them getting a majority without a massive swing in their favour.

They're already what, 22 seats short of a majority. How are they getting those 22 extra seats whilst at the same time not losing any to Labour or UKIP?

If the opinion polls are to be believed they will feck labour up big time up here. Could prompt another referendum very quickly of they hold the balance of power. Can't see them going into any coalition without that being a prerequisite.

There is no appetite in Scotland for another campaign amongst the general pop. SNP supporters making a lot of noise but it has been put to bed for the foreseeable future.

Is that so ?

Doesn't seem right, but politics generally never fails to disappoint, so you are probably right.

Do you think the people who voted Lib Dem have been appropriately represented during the lifetime of this parliament? If so how do you explain the hordes that have abandoned them.

They could very well get the most seats, but there is more or less zero chance of them getting a majority without a massive swing in their favour.

They're already what, 22 seats short of a majority. How are they getting those 22 extra seats whilst at the same time not losing any to Labour or UKIP?

There is no appetite in Scotland for another campaign amongst the general pop. SNP supporters making a lot of noise but it has been put to bed for the foreseeable future.

Tories don't need a massive swing from 2010, it was 36% they got right? 37% likely does it. Question is what hope do they have of getting there from polls of 32/33 unless it's a late drift from UKIP and others that no survey suggests happens. Turnout looks like being a big factor, if the dissenters stay solid and the semi-loyal don't bother, it gets fun

Tories don't need a massive swing from 2010, it was 36% they got right? 37% likely does it. Question is what hope do they have of getting there from polls of 32/33 unless it's a late drift from UKIP and others that no survey suggests happens. Turnout looks like being a big factor, if the dissenters stay solid and the semi-loyal don't bother, it gets fun

Only if Labour don't gain. They got 29.6% in the last one. They only need to get up to 32/33% and it will mean the Tories need circa 39%.

The lib dems campaigned for a change, had it as a manifesto pledge, got themselves in government with the Tories and then managed to do nothing about it. It needs to change but the main parties keep things the way it works best for them.

Well, they did get their referendum on the voting system like. Turnout was a poor and those who did vote in it voted overwhelmingly to keep the system as it is. No chance of it being raised seriously again for a generation or more.

Do you think the people who voted Lib Dem have been appropriately represented during the lifetime of this parliament? If so how do you explain the hordes that have abandoned them.

Did you reply to the right post there, SR ?

Well, they did get their referendum on the voting system like. Turnout was a poor and those who did vote in it voted overwhelmingly to keep the system as it is. No chance of it being raised seriously again for a generation or more.

f***, I'd completely blanked out that referendum. It did happen, I voted for some form of PR. It was a poor turnout as you say and nobody apart from the lib dems and greens and minor parties are going to argue a case for reform. Their resources for campaigning are tiny compared to the main parties and the media sitting on their hands.

Did you reply to the right post there, SR ?

Yeah. My point is that transferable voting systems more often lead to coalitions. Coalitions don't guarantee more representative governments. There are lots of ways a government can fail to adequately represent it's people, they aren't restricted to first past the post electoral systems.

re.

By getting more votes

Yeah. My point is that transferable voting systems more often lead to coalitions. Coalitions don't guarantee more representative governments. There are lots of ways a government can fail to adequately represent it's people, they aren't restricted to first past the post electoral systems.

I guess from my perspective, from an anti Tory point of view, it looks like this government has been less representative, but perhaps from the point of view of the regular Liberal voters they will feel like being in government has got them the what they had campaigned for.

I mean, we were never going to get a lib dem majority, so this for their voters is pretty good. For labour voters, failing to get a labour majority or part of a coalition themselves, would probably prefer a Tory government to at least have the ameliorating effect of the lib dems.

I'd be arguing for transferable voting, on the basis that they set up governments with the right number of MPs with the right badge on. I want to see green MPs in greater numbers, and despite the way they have worked with the Tories, I'd still prefer a lib dem voice in the government.

What have Lib Dem voters got?

Yeah this is my point. If the their voters had got what they campaigned for it is unlikely the Lib Dems would be as unpopular with that vote. This is the most representative government since 1945 with the majority of voters parties represented in Government.

Can't see them getting THAT many more than 2010.

A swing that big would be clear from the polls already.

There's a way to go yet

They've got to be in government, like when Everton were in the Champions league.

There may be a few who care about that.

Most won't, if the party isn't promoting their values.

There's a way to go yet

There is yes, but a swing that large with no evidence in the polls at this distance would surely be unprecedented.

There may be a few who care about that.

Most won't, if the party isn't promoting their values.

There is yes, but a swing that large with no evidence in the polls at this distance would surely be unprecedented.

Where would Major have been early in 92?

There was not a swing to the Tories between 87 and 92.

Quite the reverse.

Not the point.

Opinion polls had a Labour win/hung parliament.

It was a Tory hammering. Labour gains in the main made at the expense of Lib Dem votes.

I'm just not convinced the GB public has the appetite to oust this Government at the moment.