Sign in to follow this  
Andy @ Allerton

Creeping Americanization and English er ation..

Your point implied the US use of car was a recent phenomena, it was making its way over there, when the truth is it's been in general usage for years. No one is denying that language is mutable they are denying the example you've used is in anyway recent.

In the context of the original post, my point was I'd heard it in some 80s and 90s films and that I haven't noticed it being used recently.

But Automobile is just one of the words noticed.

It's interesting that was the one picked up, however, as that was away from the original post that hasn't transferred. I doubt Automobile will ever become generally used in the UK - but I suspect that some other American words would be

Edited by Andy @ Allerton

In the context of the original post, my point was I'd heard it in some 80s and 90s films and that I haven't noticed it being used recently.

hmm

This still is going on and I've noticed not just one way - there are some English words (cars for instance) that are making their way over there. You might argue that some Americans have used 'Car' to denote an 'Automobile' for years but usually when mentioned I heard Automobile or Auto used.

And, as mentioned, I've heard Car used more in American series' where a decade back you wouldn't hear it (or I didn't notice it)

Over here, use of car- automobile- vehicle can be a little regional.

In Nebraska, a lot of people (mostly older) use vehicle, pronounced vee-hickle, to describe their mode of transport. Some African Americans will use automobile, especially if describing a particular car.

Ride and lift are interchangeable. For years over here, you would ask for a ride to the bar, now lift is used as often.

Maybe it's down to what people watch on Tv and in movies.

You'd never hear the term "no worries" here but now it is commonplace.

"Flat" is used a bit more than it used to be but "apartment" is still prevalent.

"W*nker" is used a bit more now but just as a bit of a smart-*rse comment without really knowing the actual meaning of it.

"Car" has always been used and NR has given a good description of how "automobile" is used. Honestly, its too much of a mouthful.

"Sidewalk" is always used, and never "pavement", although the latter is sometimes used to describe a road surface.

"Petrol" is never used here. That makes the use of the word "gas" a bit confusing.

English is a live & evolving language. 'Creeping Americanism' suggests something at best - bad - at worst malevolent.

I've always thought that there is a snobbishness about it to be honest.