By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Kenny

honourablegeorge

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2018/02/taw-moments-time-kenny-dalglish-leaves-liverpool/

When he resigned, I was in the sixth form playing Tecmo World Cup 1990 and i think it was the first item on Newsbeat. Stunned. Didn’t speak for several minutes.

I came home and me dad and my brother, both Evertonians, had stuck the front page of the echo up above the fireplace. As I walked in, they both pointed at it - 'Kenny Resigns' I think it said. I just said 'No he hasn't' and took my coat and shoes off, made a cup of tea and sat back down again. My dad kept saying 'It's true - he's resigned.' And I kept saying 'Don't be soft, course he hasn't.' Think it took quite a while for it to sink in and a lot longer to come to terms with what had happened. Yeah, Kenny was, is and always will be my hero. 

I kind of always hoped he'd done a John Cleese, several times

Will divide opinion but as recognition for the charity work he and Marina have done, as well as his legendary football career, i am sure it’s a decision they’ll both be comfortable with.

I kind of always hoped he'd done a John Cleese, several times

Perhaps he'd always said he wouldn't accept one until the Hillsborough victims got justice and now he feels like they have? 

Edited by Gethin

This is how they get you to support the regime.

I remember talking to someone about this years ago, and what they said something that stuck with me. If you want to make changes in the world, a knighthood makes a certain type of person sit up and take note. You can use it for positive ends. The British public still lap this stuff up. So do the media. And then globally, America, Asia and beyond they still see it as a huge honour, and wrong or right, they'll listen to you. 

We all know what kind of human being Kenny is. Whatever he's decided is ok by us. 

I hope he uses it to prod and poke them. 

What a dilemma. I love that he's recognized for the truly great man that he is.

I hate that the recognition is this filthy trinket.

For once it seems we agree. 

We love him in a way no one else does. He's been my hero as long as I can remember and he always will be. And I think he'd hate that as well. 

They get to show him some respect at long last and it doesn't sit right. They can f*** off. He'll be who he always was.  Always will be.

It'll be absurd. I hope to see video of it. It won't be degrading Kenny it'll be a giant pisstake on the whole Empire.

Fair enough. Can't really reconcile him accepting it when the establishment went all out to f*co the city

He's earned the right to do what he wants, regardless of what I or others think of the honours system.

If he's happy then I'm happy for him and I don't doubt that he won't have considered all the reasons for declining it as well. I'd have been even more delighted if he had come out and publicly declined but as I said, he can do what he wants.

The honours system is a pile of piss reallly, but - at the same time - am very happy Kenny has been recognised (finally) as worthy of such a title.

I agree. Kenny is clearly happy with it, that's good enough for me.