By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Coin tossing, probability and some logic, kinda

Swan Red

I'd say she only 'knows' its Red if she can measure the frequency of the light, or maybe more sophisticated, the physical response of the Rods and Cones in her Retina; or even deeper down, the rate and range of firing of her neurons in the visual cortex. But none of that physical/physiological info can tell her what the mental, cognitive experience of 'Red' is going to be, I believe. So I don't think - prepared to be convinced though - that she can associate that aspect of her newly experienced mental state with 'Red' without the sophisticated measurements.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the Telly was showing an Open University Physics programme? (followed by a Biology one)

And maybe, and maybe...

" and exactly how this produces via the central nervous system the contraction of the vocal chords and expulsion of air from the lungs that results in the uttering of the sentence ‘The sky is blue " implies she's not experienced it herself.

Like i said, i think the premise is flawed so not for me. It might not be but if she's never seen red before she's not recognising a red piece of paper.