By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Using Wrong Sort Code when transferring Cash

Bootser

yeah that's the weird thing there really especially if was her entire months wages. I don't reckon the Guardian are being particularly careful in their reporting tbh.

This is from last years story

The fact she correctly entered her surname as the intended recipient at Nationwide, alongside the correct sort code, counted for nothing. When banks transfer money, they use only the sort code and account number – it turns out that account names are irrelevant.

She must be still really unlucky to have picked an account number that belongs to the same sort code but it explains why the name doesn't matter.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the issues about her not noticing £1000 a month going missing from her account - that's mental. It does seem like the finacial institutionss take too little responsibility in all this though

“We investigated this claim at the time she made it [in 2012], and could not find any evidence of her having alerted us. If she had, it would have triggered a process that would return the payment to the sending bank,” the society told us.

It's like a video game you can only win if you press the buttons in the right order.

Last year I had an unknown direct debit leave my account.

So i ring Santander and they tell me it was to the AA. Which was surprising as I had neither an AA subscription or authorised any direct debits.

So they put a hold on the money and advise me to ring the AA, which I do. Turns out some woman in Halifax had entered her details wrong and by chance they happened to be mine (I'm still not sure i believe this)

So i then ring Santander back and play hell that they allowed this to happen and they give me the grand total of £5 compensation as a goodwill gesture towards my phone bill.

f*** off Santander

Agree with the issues about her not noticing £1000 a month going missing from her account - that's mental. It does seem like the finacial institutionss take too little responsibility in all this though

It's like a video game you can only win if you press the buttons in the right order.

yeah they should make it harder to f*** up

however once it's f***ed it's harder to unf*** it you can only retrieve payments that have been made but not cleared and once it's withdrawn I don't know the bank should be liable.

So i ring Santander and they tell me it was to the AA. Which was surprising as I had neither an AA subscription or authorised any direct debits.

So they put a hold on the money and advise me to ring the AA, which I do. Turns out some woman in Halifax had entered her details wrong and by chance they happened to be mine (I'm still not sure i believe this)

So i then ring Santander back and play hell that they allowed this to happen and they give me the grand total of £5 compensation as a goodwill gesture towards my phone bill.

f*** off Santander

so when I subscribe to something, I could put any account number/ sort code for the direct debit and no one will check the details? crazy

so when I subscribe to something, I could put any account number/ sort code for the direct debit and no one will check the details? crazy

well assuming that you don't get an account number that belongs to that branch your first DD will be returned and whoever you have the subscription with will be on to you pretty sharpish.

Online they check that the address matches, and there's the security code on the back of your card. The AA thing was probably done in a supermarket carpark or somewhere though.

yeah they should make it harder to f*** up

however once it's f***ed it's harder to unf*** it you can only retrieve payments that have been made but not cleared and once it's withdrawn I don't know the bank should be liable.

I don't think they're liable, but I do think they should do more to help their customers get the money back.

In a completely facetious argument, I bet they'd find a way to help Vodafone retrieve an erroneous payment of a few hundred grand.

Edited by cymrococh

I don't think they're liable, but I do think they should do more to help their customers get the money back.

In a completely facetious argument, I bet they'd find a way to help Vodafone retrieve an erroneous payment of a few hundred grand.

They also have a duty of care to the recipient hence needing some legal grounds to share the identity and while they may try harder to have Vodafone retrieve a couple of hundred grand but if the recipient doesn't have the money there's not a lot they can do.

I just think this is one of those spots where we are likely to consider it much easier for the bank to do something when in fact it's actually pretty tough.

I emailed the CEO of Santander UK and provided a chronology of events. I received a personal reply from some Complaints Senior Executive and two calls over the following two days. I have the name and phone number of the lady who is dealing with it. I may not get anything back but at least I'll know that someone has proactively tried to sort it out.

I am 100% certain that if the money had gone to New Day they would have repaid.

Re comments above. It is astonishingly easy to make this type of error. Although not visually impaired I am myopic in my left eye and long sighted in the other. The silver has worn off the numbers on my Santander card and the rest is history. There must be a better and more fool/Bootser proof way to do this. If I had gone into the Branch, as I did when I transferred the money to Boots Jnr, the cashier confirms verbally that you want this to go to Mr X. Given the profit driven trend to shut branches the likelihood of this happening to more of us increases by the day.

f*** off Santander

Pretty sure that Clarkson was being a smart a*** about something and posted his account and sort code in one of his column and someone set up a DD to charities on his behalf.

It doesn't seem the most secure system.

Pretty sure that Clarkson was being a smart a*** about something and posted his account and sort code in one of his column and someone set up a DD to charities on his behalf.

It doesn't seem the most secure system.

Really isn't. We have an account for customers to pay into - someone used the details to set up a phone contract and various other things. We spotted quickly and got the money back from the bank but they admitted no-one checks the instructions. This was despite a) us never having had any such direct debits or standing orders going out of the account and b) if anyone from the organisation wants to do anything with the account it has to be a named signatory.

Also had an issue where a customer gave us incorrect payment details - seemingly an old savings account in her name (rather than her current a/c) but one that can't accept BACS deposits. Her grand is still missing 13 months later. Bootser's done well here.