By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Using Wrong Sort Code when transferring Cash

Bootser

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think they charge for the first 25 cases though so unlikely a one man band would have that many go to FOS

Also the fee is £550 now

Not what my network told me, and good to see it's gone up with inflation, Barstards...

Sorry for the suspense - I just wanted to know if the bump would work earlier or if I needed to ask for it to be reactivated.

Quick version of Boots Jnr's efforts to date :

Call 1 - "We are investigating and will reply within the 21 day deadline" (This is the Payments Council Code of Practice)

Call 2, 3 - as above

Call 4 about a week ago - Told that from the relevant screens it didn't seem like any action had been taken to date! Was told it would be escalated by a senior complaints manager and would receive a call within 5 working days

Call 1 from Satan Der Sen Comp Manager - we have tried to contact other customer but he has not responded and that's that.... sorry. You can seek legal advice or write to the Fin Ombudsman's Office.

Call 5 (after he had spoken to me) He asked when was other customer first contacted, how often and by which method? He was told that an initial letter had been followed up by two reminders. When he asked when did the first letter issue they person he was speaking to became rather vague. Paul pointed out that a week ago he had been told no action had begun and if all three letters had been issued within a week. More vagueness followed by we will refer back to Sen Comp Manager. Oh and they credited his account by £45 because of him having to do the phoning etc [That was the position up to this morning]

Call 2 from Santander today. Decent bloke - according to Boots Jnr. He tells him that he really shouldn't be doing this and then goes on to name the company the £1k inadvertently went to. A very large company who produce store credit cards - a clue is you wake up to one every morning & NO it's not a hard on! He proceeded to give him the contact details for the company.

I'm now wondering what step to take next? Phone accounts Department? Write to the CEO or similar in company? I know that under the Data Protection Act the guy in Santander was taking a hell of a risk in telling us this so I don't want to land him in it.

Over to you guys .....

I know that under the Data Protection Act the guy in Santander was taking a hell of a risk in telling us this so I don't want to land him in it.

Why not ?

You have an excellent bargaining tool now. You can contact both companies at a high level. In two cases with Ebay and Sky, i bypassed their customer support and contacted their execs and their support staff. All info readily available online.

In both cases it was resolved in my favour in a matter of days.

Edited by Earl Hafler

I've a mortgage client at the moment...

he changed his mind after the Application was submitted and wanted to downgrade his homebuyers survey to a basic. No problem as the survey hadn't even been booked, never mind taken place. The Mtge Provider said, fine. They'd already taken the payment for the homebuyers (£400+) so took another £200 for the basic valuation and said the £400+ one would be refunded in 3-5 working days.

The client banks with the Mtge Provider.

12 working days later the Company still hasn't paid him back. Phoned them yesterday. They had no explanation as to why it hadn't already been done other than to point out it could take up to 10 working days. I pointed out we were already at 12. So a manager, who didn't have the balls to speak to me directly, was going to look into it....

4 hours later no-one had called me back.

So, I rang hem up again - asked to speak to the manager, he wouldn't. Was told someone, maybe him, would call me back by the end of the day, which did happen @5.30

It wasn't the manager but some lady who said that she had authorised the payment that afternoon.

So - I presumed - as the client banked with the Company the money would be instantly in his account? Nope. May take up to 10 days to appear.

Why was this I enquired - surely they were able to pay it in instantly. Nope. Not possible.

They'd made the payment by BACS, so the money had 'left' the company and couldn't be called back. Where had the money gone, I wondered? No answer.

All they were prepared to do was call the client at some point next week to see if he'd got his money.

Utter c*nts.

Contact the CEOs - mention that you intend to copy in the consumer complaints people at The Daily Telegraph and The Daily Mail (they are the two publications that most CEOs are paranoid about getting bad press from) unless you get immediate satisfaction. Jessica Gorst-Williams might be the lady at The Telegraph who you need to threaten to contact (check first).

CEOs typically have a team of lackies who complaints get handed to - and they get sorted far quicker than through the usual channels.

Also, very important, write to the Financial Ombudsman as well - you must do this!

I've a mortgage client at the moment...

he changed his mind after the Application was submitted and wanted to downgrade his homebuyers survey to a basic. No problem as the survey hadn't even been booked, never mind taken place. The Mtge Provider said, fine. They'd already taken the payment for the homebuyers (£400+) so took another £200 for the basic valuation and said the £400+ one would be refunded in 3-5 working days.

The client banks with the Mtge Provider.

12 working days later the Company still hasn't paid him back. Phoned them yesterday. They had no explanation as to why it hadn't already been done other than to point out it could take up to 10 working days. I pointed out we were already at 12. So a manager, who didn't have the balls to speak to me directly, was going to look into it....

4 hours later no-one had called me back.

So, I rang hem up again - asked to speak to the manager, he wouldn't. Was told someone, maybe him, would call me back by the end of the day, which did happen @5.30

It wasn't the manager but some lady who said that she had authorised the payment that afternoon.

So - I presumed - as the client banked with the Company the money would be instantly in his account? Nope. May take up to 10 days to appear.

Why was this I enquired - surely they were able to pay it in instantly. Nope. Not possible.

They'd made the payment by BACS, so the money had 'left' the company and couldn't be called back. Where had the money gone, I wondered? No answer.

All they were prepared to do was call the client at some point next week to see if he'd got his money.

Utter c*nts.

TCF? Go get 'em Mr Client., they s*** their pants if you quote TCF, even if it doesn't strictly come under the rules.

Edited by Murphman

New Day were excellent but sadly they say it is not one of their accounts.

They phoned the day after I sent the email and talked me through what had happened. Said they would investigate and hopefully get the matter resolved urgently. Called the following day and the same lady I had spoken to was really apologetic and genuinely upset that the account was not one of theirs. I told her that it was an employee of Santander who had told us that it was a New Day account. She said that she would continue trying to resolve and said that it might be useful to get Santander to call her to discuss. Followed up by, surprisingly, a non standard letter telling me what they had done and again offering to speak to Santander.

In contrast to how the bank handled this, I was really pleased with the effort New Day put into trying to sort this out. Back to Santander later.

• 2 weeks later...