By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Using Wrong Sort Code when transferring Cash

Bootser

That's what i'm curious about... in theory, what could they do if I said i'd spent it, or simply refused to give it back. Can a bank force the issue or even the company who made the payment? A few years ago one of my admin made a payment in error, but we were lucky enough to get it back. But if the person refused... i'm sure there's nothing I could've done.

Champs?... i don't drink. Got half a dozen bottles of whiskey lying around in the office a client gave me a few years back. What a waste!

You would be prosecuted if you didnt pay it back. Pleading ignorance is no help.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we all know that don't we...

But, what I would do is say nothing and wait. Leave it there and see how it feels after a couple of years have passed. If they contact you in the meantime, then you will have the money and you can pay it back.

They will contact him, no question. And when they do, he'll be pissed right off the longer he's held it. t** all earnings on a couple of k anyway so just get it sorted.

Don't just leave it with them to try and get round to it though - use the official complaint channels asap. As quickly as you can get to threaten to go to the Financial Ombudsman, the better - as soon as you register a complaint with the Ombudsman, Santander will have to pay them £500 ... so it should help someone concentrate on the issue and get it resolved.

Don't just leave it with them to try and get round to it though - use the official complaint channels asap. As quickly as you can get to threaten to go to the Financial Ombudsman, the better - as soon as you register a complaint with the Ombudsman, Santander will have to pay them £500 ... so it should help someone concentrate on the issue and get it resolved.

Is that true ? Hope so. I recently took Santander to the Ombudsman. I lost like but it will give some small satisfaction to know that it cost Santander 500 notes anyway.

Is that true ? Hope so. I recently took Santander to the Ombudsman. I lost like but it will give some small satisfaction to know that it cost Santander 500 notes anyway.

Yeah, it's definitely true.

It's in a bank's interest to settle any complaint of less than £500 - if it goes to the Ombudsman, that's the minimum charge they have to pay and they also have all the associated paperwork.

It's in a bank's interest to settle any complaint of less than £500 - if it goes to the Ombudsman, that's the minimum charge they have to pay and they also have all the associated paperwork.

Sound. Unfortunately it's gonna cost me a damned sight more than 500 cos the b******s have me by the balls but hey ho.

Santander are not at the level of twattery that Woolwich/Barclays have reached

year ago I had ten grand land in my bank account. which was nice but it wasn't mine. I obviously noticed it and called Barclays. after a few days they moved the money back out. and left me with a charge of 50 quid for transferring it....... we had words.

year ago I had ten grand land in my bank account. which was nice but it wasn't mine. I obviously noticed it and called Barclays. after a few days they moved the money back out. and left me with a charge of 50 quid for transferring it....... we had words.

That's fantastic, it's so outrageous I probably would have swallowed the £50 for the story alone.

I was looking at my account a few months back and there was £600 put in. I had no idea who it was and where it had come from.

I contact HSBC and told them I didn't know who it was from and why.

So, I put it to one side to ensure I can give it back to whoever gave it me.

2 weeks later, I got a message from YNWA's very own Andy Mac. That daft t*** had transferred it to me.

I asked Boots Jnr for update.

He told me that Santander have closed the case at their end. He will get a letter documenting what's went on and it can take 21 days from this point before he might get any money back but there is no guarantee. Apparently they were able to confirm that the money went into a Santander business account. They said that they could not give a guarantee that he would get the money back.

I asked Boots Jnr for update.

He told me that Santander have closed the case at their end. He will get a letter documenting what's went on and it can take 21 days from this point before he might get any money back but there is no guarantee. Apparently they were able to confirm that the money went into a Santander business account. They said that they could not give a guarantee that he would get the money back.

Well, that sounds like a load of bullhooks. Two people are down £1,000. I'd demand £1,000 each for their ineptitude and inconvenience caused.

Well, that sounds like a load of bullhooks. Two people are down £1,000. I'd demand £1,000 each for their ineptitude and inconvenience caused.

HSBC told me that once you recognise it isnt yours, you legally can't spend it.

If you plead ignorance then its fine.

Well it would be. They would need to prove dishonesty. This thread wouldn't help of course!

Might work if its a small amount but if you usually have circa 500 quid in your account and get 10k randomly I think you'd have a hard time saying you didnt notice a discrepancy. At best you could propose payimg back 20 quid a month and hope they take it, at worst you've been willfully dishonest and will be prosecuted.

My mate showed me his payslip for the month and some plank in wages missed the decimal point and payed him and the rest of the team £53000 bonus on top of his wages . Some girl from his team is on holiday in Spain , imagine the shock she will get when she goes to the bank machine

:lol: brilliant

They are such c****

Just a quick heads up on this - it applies to any financial institution governed by the FOS. Banks, Insurance, Loans, Store cards, Catalogue companies etc etc.

You have to give the company involved sufficient time to respond to a complaint (8 weeks) and for them to give what they'd call a final response. From there you can then involve the FOS who immediately charge the company involved £500, whether it's their fault or not.

Just a quick heads up on this - it applies to any financial institution governed by the FOS. Banks, Insurance, Loans, Store cards, Catalogue companies etc etc.

You have to give the company involved sufficient time to respond to a complaint (8 weeks) and for them to give what they'd call a final response. From there you can then involve the FOS who immediately charge the company involved £500, whether it's their fault or not.

Which is complete boll*cks when you consider a one man band has to pay the same as Barclays.

I think recovery depends on the other person giving them go-ahead to take the money out of their account as the bank cannot move money from an account wily-nily. If they don't give permission then the bank may opt to refund you. For an amount of £1k I would expect them to do this as to them it's small potatoes.

My mate showed me his payslip for the month and some plank in wages missed the decimal point and payed him and the rest of the team £53000 bonus on top of his wages . Some girl from his team is on holiday in Spain , imagine the shock she will get when she goes to the bank machine

She'll be in f***ing Bali by now.

Hence the suggestion to get into the official complaint process as soon a possible - get the clock ticking.