By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Welcome Javier Manquillo

David Hodgson

Yeah, I wonder what the details of the loan are. It'd be a shame if he had a great season and they were able to take him back.

Just reading that it's quite complicated and linked to Atletico's qualification to the CL at the end of the coming season. If they qualify they can buy him back if the player agrees in 2015. If that doesn't happen then we can buy him in 2016 for a higher fee. Not sure how accurate this is though.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading that it's quite complicated and linked to Atletico's qualification to the CL at the end of the coming season. If they qualify they can buy him back if the player agrees in 2015. If that doesn't happen then we can buy him in 2016 for a higher fee. Not sure how accurate this is though.

Seems fair enough

I'd have guessed at something like that. They key is the player's will. I'd hope that if he was established in the LFC team and offered decent money that he'd tell Atletico thanks but no thanks. They probably think the opposite will happen.

We'll just have to make him love Liverpool then.

Based on his performance today I hope AM implode this season then. The lad looks like he's got the right stuff.

From September last year

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/76960/barcelona-holds-right-of-first-refusal-on-atleticos-manquillo-and-saul/

Barcelona holds right of first refusal on Atlético’s Manquillo and Saul

by Tom Conn | Posted on Thursday, September 5th, 2013

Barcelona vice president, Josep Maria Bartomeu recently admitted that as part of the transfer of David Villa to Atletico Madrid, the Blaugrana retain the right of first refusal to two unnamed youth players.

manquilloIn a recent statement from Bartomeu, he stated that the deal was in place, but refused to name the particular players.

“Atlético’s bid was the most convincing. The amount was €5.1 million, with a preferential option over two young Atlético players.

“I would have liked to sell him for more, but we were made an offer and believed it best to accept it. Every transfer has its pros and cons.”

While Bartomeu refused to name the players, Spanish sports daily, Marca believes the two players are Javier Manquillo and Saul Nunez, not Koke and Oliver Torres as previously believed.

Barcelona do not retain any partial rights or entitled to future sales, but have the option of being offered the players first if Atletico decides to sell them one day.

Would be good to know exactly what the different states and options there are on this lad... before the hand-wringing and foaming at the mouth starts... (of which I'd no doubt join in)

There's this from the Guardian :

The 20-year-old defender underwent a medical on Merseyside earlier this week and has finalised a transfer from the Spanish champions that may allow Liverpool to make the deal permanent, for a fee of around £5m, should he settle in English football. Atlético can break the loan arrangement and recall Manquillo for a fee next summer while Liverpool have an option to buy the player outright in 2016.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/06/liverpool-sign-javier-manquillo-loan-atletico-madrid

Couldn't find anything on the offal relating to the clauses.

What's all this about Barca?

Edited by Billy Talbot

he's going to have to go some to match the efforts of Brendon's previous loan signings - Moses, Cisshoko and Sahin. They've set a high bar.

There's a Venn diagram for this.

Sahin didn't want to be here, Moses didn't want to be here and is crap, Cisshoko is crap.

Manquillo so far doesn't fit in either set.

Thought he did well, particularly impressed with how on several occasions he read the danger and covered behind the centre backs, booking seemed harsh different end of pitch to where I was but Southampton had got away with several late ones, and our first was a yellow card?

Thought he was a bit hit and miss. Looked good at times but then a bit Degen at others where he'd randomly pop up at RW

Only watched it on telly, but there were a couple of occasions where he didn't seem to be offering himself as an option when he should have been.

StevieH would have been livid.

Only watched it on telly, but there were a couple of occasions where he didn't seem to be offering himself as an option when he should have been.

StevieH would have been livid.

i was. was showing his youthful naivety there the lad. he's young though, he can have it coached into him.

I'm a bit non-plussed with all these defenders being signed after Flanagan was so good last season. What are BR's plans for him?

I suppose the thinking is that we could do with Flanno not being our only decent full back...