By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Welcome Divock Origi

sutty

it's not a panic buy. we literally left him at his club for a year. it'd be a panic sale/loan now though. who buys a kid and expects them to impact a struggling side straightaway and loses faith if they don't?

Rodgers appears to have lost faith and I expect that's based on seeing him in training every day and hearing reports on him last season

same way I wrote off Aspas before he put on a red shirt and Lambert in pre-season (and Wayne wrote off the keeper in the warm up) - when you've watched enough footy, you know what you're watching

having said that, I have no opinion on Origi yet

I'm not a tactical genius or an expert player-spotter like you, maybe because I lack the gift or maybe because I can't ever, ever be arsed to go to live football matches (they're expensive, they're often cold, they're sometimes boring, most of the ones I might care about are far away from my comfortable home, lots of the people who do go are terrible dicks etc).

So what I don't get is why you can see this stuff a mile off, but the people who are paid to make these signings (and who also presumably go the match? Pretty sure Rodgers goes; it looks like that on the telly but could be camera trickery I suppose) can't.

I'm not a tactical genius or an expert player-spotter like you, maybe because I lack the gift or maybe because I can't ever, ever be arsed to go to live football matches (they're expensive, they're often cold, they're sometimes boring, most of the ones I might care about are far away from my comfortable home, lots of the people who do go are terrible dicks etc).

So what I don't get is why you can see this stuff a mile off, but the people who are paid to make these signings (and who also presumably go the match? Pretty sure Rodgers goes; it looks like that on the telly but could be camera trickery I suppose) can't.

Football is a lie.

you always say this but if a player looks inherently s*** then there isn't much to be done with formation changes or playing himself in

Wayne said his touch is like the side of his house

1 start, 2 sub appearances in a side where Coutinho is looking s*** in the last few games

1 start, 2 sub appearances in a side where Coutinho is looking s*** in the last few games

I have not written him off, was just quoting Wayne

I wasn't there on Weds and din't see the game on telly either

because I am a better judge of a player than they are, I guess

it wouldn't have occurred to me that I am but when you put it like that, Ocam's Razor leads us to that very conclusion

it happens; maybe they are better at property development than I am, yet all hands are managing to spoof their way through life

Yes I get that, it follows logically.

But that also suggests that your statement is wrong: "if you watch a lot of footy you know what you're seeing."

It's not just about watching, it's also about having a special ability.

So not everyone who goes has an impeccable opinion like yours - some can be there every week and tell themselves they know what they're seeing but they really don't.

Still likely to have a better idea than me, granted.

Yes I get that, it follows logically.

But that also suggests that your statement is wrong: "if you watch a lot of footy you know what you're seeing."

It's not just about watching, it's also about having a special ability.

So not everyone who goes has an impeccable opinion like yours - some can be there every week and tell themselves they know what they're seeing but they really don't.

Still likely to have a better idea than me, granted.

the bit you quote was a kind of dual-purpose phrase:

1 to deflect attention away from my abilities, as I seek neither adulation for my gift, nor persecution because it makes people angry.....a bit like Jesus

2 to encourage other potential footy-watchers to take up this wonderful pastime, perhaps even taking their coaching badges and forging a career in the game

Gotcha.

It was nonsense with a purpose.

Will remember that next time.

if you'd like to learn more about this kind of seemingly-amazing stuff, read up about the comparative advantage theory (or not, if you studied economics and were paying attention that day)

it explains why and how nations trade with each other and the premise allows me to be a better scout than our scouts (should think so too) but not actually do it full time for a living as I can earn more money in property (in theory)

I really can't fathom where this impulse comes from some people to actively deride a young player who has barely been given a chance at the club. What's the point?

yeah, passive derision is the way

f***ing active deriders :rant:

I really can't fathom where this impulse comes from some people to actively deride a young player who has barely been given a chance at the club. What's the point?

Part of it is uncontrolable miserablism at the state of the club, the rest is the desire to look like a great judge of a footballer by being the first to write him off.

Part of it is uncontrolable miserablism at the state of the club, the rest is the desire to look like a great judge of a footballer by being the first to write him off.

you seem very sure of yourself

a bit too sure, some might say

do you have great insight in to the ways of men?

its not that at all. i watched him in the world cup, didnt think he was all that, watched him a few times on tv last yeasr and i just couldnt see why we bought him, and when i watched him the other night i thought he had a shocker, although to be fair he wasnt on his own. Its not about being the first to write someone off, its merely stating my opinion on a player, which is what we all do on here. sometimes you make a right t** out of yourself as well by praising a player who turns out to be utter w***, or critising a player who turns out to be great.

its not that at all. i watched him in the world cup, didnt think he was all that, watched him a few times on tv last yeasr and i just couldnt see why we bought him, and when i watched him the other night i thought he had a shocker, although to be fair he wasnt on his own. Its not about being the first to write someone off, its merely stating my opinion on a player, which is what we all do on here. sometimes you make a right t** out of yourself as well by praising a player who turns out to be utter w***, or critising a player who turns out to be great.

Not sure Sion was talking about you. :)

I know a huge amount of ability is down to the mental state of a player, even stuff like appearing to have a terrible first touch. My brother was a young player at Chelsea, on his debut Premiership match the Chelsea fans sang "who the f*** are you" to welcome him onto the field - at the time I thought, obviously, yeah well they're class less t***s so that's what you'd expect and sure, some players would have the "well I'll show you" type attitude, but not all. My brother was wobbled by it. Fortunately he had a career elsewhere but I do feel a lot of sympathy for young players looking to establish themselves and, in this case, when you're brought to a club where there is no direction, no belief or vision, and asked to play up top on your own, and every touch counts, I think a bit of leeway is the least we can offer the lad.

I know a huge amount of ability is down to the mental state of a player, even stuff like appearing to have a terrible first touch. My brother was a young player at Chelsea, on his debut Premiership match the Chelsea fans sang "who the f*** are you" to welcome him onto the field - at the time I thought, obviously, yeah well they're class less t***s so that's what you'd expect and sure, some players would have the "well I'll show you" type attitude, but not all. My brother was wobbled by it. Fortunately he had a career elsewhere but I do feel a lot of sympathy for young players looking to establish themselves and, in this case, when you're brought to a club where there is no direction, no belief or vision, and asked to play up top on your own, and every touch counts, I think a bit of leeway is the least we can offer the lad.

oof that's annoying

I was SO looking forward to booing him tomorrow- Boooooooo!!!!!........

oh well, if I can't I can't