By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The rugby

Cobs

10 minutes ago, New York Red said:

Can’t stand League as a sport, but they do have some cracking athletes who I’d love to see in Union.

Ponga is a serious talent.

It's rare to find League players with the tactical ability to succeed in Union. Those that do tend to be Southern Hemisphere players who've at least had some experience of playing Union at junior levels.

Just now, Hightown Phil said:

How would it work short of 14 men? Isn’t quite as simple as when Bath played Wigan is it?

One flanker per side & imbalanced scrums that rotate so fast they look like they're on a merry-go-round. 

8 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

How would it work short of 14 men? Isn’t quite as simple as when Bath played Wigan is it?

Not seen the details of proposed rules or scoring system - but it’s an interesting idea

23 minutes ago, Gethin said:

It's rare to find League players with the tactical ability to succeed in Union. Those that do tend to be Southern Hemisphere players who've at least had some experience of playing Union at junior levels.

Very true. The technical aspects of Union are really difficult for League guys to grasp. As you said, the Southern Hemisphere guys have a bit more cross-code exposure so it makes it an easier transition. I can’t think of anyone who has made the transition from League to Union who has become a forward. Their physiques are very different. They give it a go with Sam Burgess I suppose, and we know how that worked out.

19 minutes ago, New York Red said:

Very true. The technical aspects of Union are really difficult for League guys to grasp. As you said, the Southern Hemisphere guys have a bit more cross-code exposure so it makes it an easier transition. I can’t think of anyone who has made the transition from League to Union who has become a forward. Their physiques are very different. They give it a go with Sam Burgess I suppose, and we know how that worked out.

He’s the last one I can think of and they couldn’t decide if they thought he was a centre or flanker.

1 minute ago, muleskinner said:

League players aren't tactically thick.

Not within the context of playing league, but union is a very different game and it’s more complex tactically.

Unless you’ve got some grounding in union as a junior you’ll struggle to convert. It’s why it doesn’t happen very often 

1 minute ago, Gethin said:

Not within the context of playing league, but union is a very different game and it’s more complex tactically.

Unless you’ve got some grounding in union as a junior you’ll struggle to convert. It’s why it doesn’t happen very often 

They aren't superior tho, which is how it gets thrown about. 

1 minute ago, muleskinner said:

I would still say that, with the exception of front row players, most union players would take to league easier than vice versa. 

League is a simpler game to learn tactically and there’s less difference between the positions than Union. That’s not disparaging League as a game it’s just the way it is. 

3 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

I think with the professionalism now in both codes the Bath/Wigan thing done now and this proposal of a combined format could be great

9 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Union types aren't half snobby towards League types.

Used to be the other way around of course when it League had all the money.

What's not true though?

The only attraction for Union players going to League back in the day was money. Now that's not a factor, it's extremely rare for anyone still wanted in Union to do it. Fairly telling.

Not massively more in Union for the top players. Certainly no (or few) players on £1m a year

13 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Lads from South Wales on the M5 in their droves

Given the state of the Welsh economy at the time and that Union wasn't professional, it's hardly surprising.

5 minutes ago, Gethin said:

Not massively more in Union for the top players. Certainly no (or few) players on £1m a year

Given the state of the Welsh economy at the time and that Union wasn't professional, it's hardly surprising.

Boom time in the North West man ffs

They were part time pros outside of a handful. Union lads were getting "expenses" that dwarfed it.

Edited by muleskinner

6 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

What are the wages like in Union? Super League isn’t gonna be able to compete but I’d assume NRL could? Cameron Smith is on about £500k a year and I think he’s top earner, where’s he fitting in in Union?

Top Union players are earning way more than that

5 hours ago, muleskinner said:

Lads from South Wales on the M5 in their droves

They did. The Northern scouts were always scouring the place for talent. There were some cracking Welsh players who could have been legends in Union. Billy Boston, John Bevan, Dai Watkins and Gerald Cordle come to mind.