Sign in to follow this  
David Hodgson

Welcome Rickie Lambert

3 hours ago, Cam said:

That's always been my shout about him. For a few weeks he was 9 or 10 out of 10 every single week. It was almost at like Suarez levels. Thank feck I found someone who agrees with me at last! 

We need to do an XI of players we've had who were the best in the world for a short time:

Paul Jones for one gane. Babbel for one season. McAllister for 6 weeks. Anelka for 45 minutes. 

Etc.

Cheryou for his game against Lazio

10 minutes ago, Benzo-13 said:

Dirk was one of my favs. His last game for Feyenoord was a super way to sign off.

At 36 years old, and with Bead Jones in goal, he still led them to the championship, one of my favourite players of all time 

15 minutes ago, Benzo-13 said:

Dirk was one of my favs. His last game for Feyenoord was a super way to sign off.

I watched that before after reading this thread. Made me sad to be honest. Same as that maradona doc when Napoli won the league. The scenes.

4 hours ago, sammy & a said:

From someone who was frustrated with him sometimes, I really have to agree. 

Yeah I actively disliked him for a while, but I look back on him with fondness.

3 hours ago, Cam said:

That's always been my shout about him. For a few weeks he was 9 or 10 out of 10 every single week. It was almost at like Suarez levels. Thank feck I found someone who agrees with me at last! 

We need to do an XI of players we've had who were the best in the world for a short time:

Paul Jones for one gane. Babbel for one season. McAllister for 6 weeks. Anelka for 45 minutes.

Damien Plessis v Arsenal as the 6.

I reckon Klopp would love Kuyt.

We've had loads of better players, not sure we've had too many better lads.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

I watched that before after reading this thread. Made me sad to be honest. Same as that maradona doc when Napoli won the league. The scenes.

That we won’t get the big release? Yeah.. I think we’ll do it somehow though. 

On 15/05/2020 at 10:13, Conrad said:

Rafa was keen on him wasn't he.

Alternatively or in addition, you get the attacking width from Dani Alves at FB. He'd have been a great signing.

On 15/05/2020 at 10:14, Hightown Phil said:

Yeah was really in to him summer of 07 and he went to Chelsea I think. Scored 25 league goals in the two seasons under Ancelotti where Chelsea weren't a mess. 

Malouda was definitely that player. He was also a player Rafa seemingly had lined up only Hicks and Gillette didn’t get the finger out... leading to an outburst after a night of wandering the streets of Athens. Although the bigger question he should have reflected in that night was probably ‘Pennant ahead of Crouch... what was I thinking?’

On 14/05/2020 at 00:27, Earl Hafler said:

I think it was to switch to 4-3-3 but it wasn't the defining factor. Keane just didn't play well enough or score enough and something must have occurred in private for him to be sold at a considerable loss just six months later. Perhaps the pressure / boyhood Red aspect was too much. 

He was a signing that the Irish reds on here were at best, lukewarm about, as IIRC, most didn’t see how he’d fit in. One point I’ve not seen mentioned in this thread is that he was incredibly lazy, extremely selective about what runs he would make, who he’d close down etc. I don’t think he would have gotten many games under Klopp like.

Keane was also meant to have been second choice that summer. When you consider the top target was Tevez, I’m not really sure what Rafa was thinking in terms of those two being alternates. Tevez would have been a fantastic foil/ alternative for Torres and in those days was quite the workhorse too. 

Just now, kop205 said:

Pennant was one of our better players on the night.

Plenty of ball, didn’t do much with it. I still reckon our ‘normal’ team at the time wins that game pretty comfortably. We were a lot stronger just lacked a focal point.

I get the Crouch point about that game but I can’t but feel Bellamy’s pace would have been a bigger asset. They had a 38 year old centre back ffs

1 minute ago, Hightown Phil said:

I get the Crouch point about that game but I can’t but feel Bellamy’s pace would have been a bigger asset. They had a 38 year old centre back ffs

Fair. There was an argument for playing Bellamy, but I’d have had him in as second striker with Gerrard wide right then. 

2 minutes ago, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

Can’t believe Fowler wasn’t on the bench.

That got at me most on the night. In a night of utter frustration.
The referee was utter balls too.

8 hours ago, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

Can’t believe Fowler wasn’t on the bench.

Haven't been on the forum since Friday and I was thinking about just this yesterday.

One of my biggest footy regrets; Robbie winning the EC would have been perfection

8 hours ago, Benzo-13 said:

That got at me most on the night. In a night of utter frustration.
The referee was utter balls too.

From my - haven't watched it again and was very drunk the one time I did watch it - the first goal was surely handball? Like Greenhoff in the 77 Cup Final