By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Wifi Router Issue

Tommok

I've messed up the router at my parent's place again trying to get my Nexus to connect to it. This time I knew the password was OK but my Nexus wouldn't connect, it just said "Obtaining IP Address" for ages but then gave up and said something like disconnected due to weak connection.

So I boldly reset the router by poking a pin in the hole at the back but rather than doing a soft reset and just clearing any conflicts etc, it's seemingly reset fully and is now an "open connection" not password protected.

Trouble is I can't connect to Internet now via my mum's laptop (to do anything, including access router settings) because laptop says it is set to only connect to that router via a "secure connection" and it's not secure anymore - any ideas how to change that setting on the laptop and free up internet connection and change passwords?

Weird thing is that altho it's technically an open connection I still can't access it via my Nexus either - it says it's "connected" but I can't access anything :(

Cheers in advance.

Edited by TommoK

You need the IP address of the router. What model is it?

Try 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 and admin as user and password to log in.

Also, delete or edit old connection settings to the router on the laptop.

Edited by £440,000

You need the IP address of the router. What model is it?

Try 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 and admin as user and password to log in.

Also, delete or edit old connection settings to the router on the laptop.

It's a very old Belkin.

I think I have the IP address somewhere. What do I need to do with it - stick it in IE browser? When I tried that IE just said it couldn't open page.

How do I delete any old connection settings to the router on the laptop?

Sorry, I'm a div when it comes to this sort of thing :(

Cheers.

With the ethernet cable?

Can't find the bloody thing!!

What Ibby says or try via Wifi. Should be able to edit the connection clicking on connection in bottom right of screen.

On mobile, so can't do screenshot or anything more to help.

A related issue I'm having...

I have a Wi-Fi router downstairs (where it must stay - don't ask), meaning my (what I think is a non-Wi-Fi-enabled) PC upstairs can't connect to the web. To try to get the PC online, I connected it to an old modem via the upstairs phone line but couldn't get an ADSL reading. I then took my downstairs router upstairs and connected it to the PC - again no joy. So I bought a new modem, installed the software fine but, again, no connection. A phone when connected works - so the line is OK. Any suggestions?

Edited by Hieronymus Bosch

I have a Wi-Fi router downstairs (where it must stay - don't ask), meaning my (what I think is a non-Wi-Fi-enabled) PC upstairs can't connect to the web. To try to get the PC online, I connected it to an old modem via the upstairs phone line but couldn't get an ADSL reading. I then took my downstairs router upstairs and connected it to the PC - again no joy. So I bought a new modem, installed the software fine but, again, no connection. A phone when connected works - so the line is OK. Any suggestions?

Get a wi-fi adapter for your PC?

If you want to plug into a phone line and use a modem with your PC, you need a ADSL filter (or splitter) on the phone line and your modem is plugged into the ASDL part. But more simpler is kop205's suggestion and just get a usb wifi adapter and plug that into the PC - they come in different speeds and types, to get the optimal connection you need to match the adaptor to wifi router's type ("a", b"", g", "n")

To the OP, you can find out the address of the router like this:

1) Connect to the Wi-Fi network with a Windows PC. You very likely won't be able to get onto the internet.

2) Hold down the windows key on your keyboard and press R. This should bring up the "Run" box.

3) Type "cmd" without the quotes and press enter.

4) In the black box which comes up, type "route print" without the quotes and press enter. You should get a print out a bit like this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\*your username*>route print
===========================================================================
Interface List
10...28 18 78 b6 3d aa ......Surface Ethernet Adapter
 8...2a 18 78 55 b0 30 ......Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
 7...28 18 78 55 b0 32 ......Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
 5...28 18 78 55 b0 31 ......Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller
 1...........................Software Loopback Interface 1
 9...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

IPv4 Route Table
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
         0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0     192.168.0.29    192.168.0.68     20
         0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.0.2     192.168.0.68     20
       127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
       127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
 127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
     192.168.0.0    255.255.255.0         On-link      192.168.0.68    276
    192.168.0.68  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.0.68    276
   192.168.0.255  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.0.68    276
       224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
       224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link      192.168.0.68    276
 255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
 255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.0.68    276
Persistent Routes:
 None

IPv6 Route Table
Active Routes:
If Metric Network Destination      Gateway
10    276 ::/0                     fe80::217:c5ff:fe44:17a0
 1    306 ::1/128                  On-link
10    276 fe80::/64                On-link
10    276 fe80::7420:9561:6583:2d11/128
                                   On-link
 1    306 ff00::/8                 On-link
10    276 ff00::/8                 On-link
Persistent Routes:
 None

C:\Users\*your username*>

In the section entitled IPv4 Route Table, you should have five columns: Network Destination, Netmask, Gateway, Interface, and metric. At the top of this list, there should be a line where the first two columns both say 0.0.0.0 in them. The IP address listed in the "gateway" column should be your router's IP address. My tablet has gateways, which is why there are two lines like that in my copy and paste above.

Now open your web browser and type "http://*router's IP address*" in and it should give you a login screen for the router. Belkin routers all have blank admin passwords by default I think and the username is either "admin" or also blank.

Thanks, guys. Doesn't work with a splitter. Will try a Wi-Fi adapter.

Or your other option, which is admittedly a bit inconvenient is to run an Ethernet cable from your PC down to the router.

Thanks chaps.

Finally got it sorted by finding the ethernet cable and getting online that way and then resetting the router settings in the Belkin page and then changing settings in the wireless network tab on laptop.

As well as getting the connection back on laptop, my Nexus will now connect too :)

Cheers again.

Thanks chaps.

Finally got it sorted by finding the ethernet cable and getting online that way and then resetting the router settings in the Belkin page and then changing settings in the wireless network tab on laptop.

As well as getting the connection back on laptop, my Nexus will now connect too :)/>

Cheers again.

Good to hear the genny came to the rescue!