By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Moyes is technically deficient and gambled with RVP's fitness

Maldini

Renowned fitness coach Raymond Verheijen tells Off The Ball how Robin Van Persie's pre-season has had his fitness ruined by "prehistoric" methods

Listen to the full interview via the podcast.

In July, fitness coach Raymond Verheijen described David Moyes as a "dinosaur" for the way he and his staff over-trained Robin Van Persie during Man United's pre-season tour to the Far East and Australia.

At the time, Moyes had publicly admitted that he was over-training his player and Verheijen predicted that his fellow Dutchman would suffer injury problems this season. Significantly, Van Persie has suffered a host of fitness issues this season and is currently out for a month with a thigh strain.

The Dutchman, who served as Wales assistant manager under the late Gary Speed, spoke to Ger on Off The Ball tonight and accused Moyes of "gambling" with Van Persie's fitness.

Verheijen witnessed first hand how David Moyes' coaches "gambled" with Van Persie's fitness on the pre-season tour and he was horrified by what he saw.

"Coincidentally when United was in Sydney last July, I was there as well. I went to the training sessions and I could see what they were doing with Robin Van Persie. He had to do a lot of running work and sometimes he even had to do it twice a day. You have to keep in mind that he missed the first week of pre-season so his fitness level was lower than the rest of the team. That already means you have to be careful," said Verheijen who lambasted the standard of fitness coaching in the UK.

"[Van Persie] had also just travelled for 30 hours and he had a nine hour time difference. Normally the body takes a week to recover from that. And still, despite these difficulties , they immediately over-trained him because they want him to catch up on the rest of the team. Moyes literally said it in the media. You don't have to be Einstein to understand that is gambling!"

Verheijen, also explained how Moyes got it so wrong in the Newcastle game which aggravated Van Persie's fitness and told Ger that he was highly critical of Moyes and his credentials in both fitness coaching and tactics.

"If you look at the track record of Moyes at Everton, in the nine pre-seasons that he did, he had seven or eight times an injury crisis in pre-season followed by a slow start to the season. Clearly that pattern repeated itself at United."

30485_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.jpg

"The planning and conditioning part in his coaching is prehistoric. The second problem of David Moyes is his technical awareness. If I look at the Man United games, I don't think he's technically the best coach in the world to say it in a polite way. Finally, if you are a coach and haven't won anything in your life or haven't even played a Champions League game, and you have to coach a team which is expected to win the Champions League and you are coaching players who have almost won everything, that is a very tricky combination."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was he saying this when he was out for months at a time for Arsenal?

Yeah, I have no problem with Moyes being called out, but Van Persie has always been a very injury prone footballer. The 2 most recent seasons (where he stayed fit for most of the season are out of the ordinary)...He started more than half the league games in only in 2 out of 8 seasons for Arsenal.

Edited by Zoob

Yeah, I have no problem with Moyes being called out, but Van Persie has always been a very injury prone footballer. The 2 most recent seasons (where he stayed fit for most of the season are out of the ordinary)...He started more than half the league games in only in 2 out of 8 seasons for Arsenal.

nor me, but Verheijen does seem to have been getting more and more vocal since he left the Wales job. And if he was so concerned why didn't he raise the issue when he was present at the sessions ?

It seems they had found solutions for him beyond just luck. We've mostly managed to do it with Gerrard

May as well stick this in here too:

Manchester United's Danny Welbeck questions call for extra training

• 'I have been doing that ever since I have been at United'

• Welbeck has struggled for regular place under David Moyes

Jamie Jackson

theguardian.com, Friday 20 December 2013 11.11 GMT

Danny Welbeck has denied David Moyes's claims that he needs to do extra training sessions at Manchester United.

Welbeck has struggled to find a regular berth as a striker under the manager, though the 23-year-old scored twice in Sunday's 3-0 win at Aston Villa when starting in the position. This took his season's total to five for the club, with Moyes saying he spoke to Welbeck around a month ago, informing him he should follow the example of Wayne Rooney, who stays on for extra finishing practice at United's Carrington training base.

But Welbeck said: "I have been doing that ever since I have been at United. Obviously I have been injured this season so maybe the manager has not seen me on the training pitch as much. Maybe, I haven't seen what he has said. Obviously, at Manchester United, I want to be working hard and I have been doing that ever since I was a young kid. I just want to keep on getting better and improving. Those extra hours on the training pitch, whether it be with the boys or individually, I am just looking to improve.

"I want some more goals, I can tell you that, I want some more goals. I have got a figure in my mind, I want to score plenty more goals. Obviously it is not my decision about where my play. As I have said plenty of times before, I am happy to play for Manchester United in any of the attacking positions. Unfortunately, Robin [van Persie] has got injured. I might have a chance up front so I am looking to score some goals for Manchester United whilst playing as a centre-forward."

Earlier this week Moyes admitted surprise he needed to speak to Welbeck, and said: "I've got to say we had a word with him about a month ago and we said that he needs to be the last off the training field. Wayne's out there practising his finishing each day, whether it's taking free-kicks, shooting from tight angles or bending them in, whatever it may be Wayne's practising. I said: 'Danny, you need to be out there every day finishing, even if it's 15 minutes at the end.'"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/20/manchester-united-danny-welbeck-extra-training

Sounds like all is well over there...

This Verhiejen cat is one bad, bad bellend.

why shoot the messenger ? He can be a bellend messenger , so what . He only calling it out as it looks to him from outside about Moyes. Will be interesting if any serious world class player would go to MUFC under Moyes.

why shoot the messenger ? He can be a bellend messenger , so what . He only calling it out as it looks to him from outside about Moyes. Will be interesting if any serious world class player would go to MUFC under Moyes.

No idea. I just fancied calling him a bellend.

Which he is.

Who does he work for again?

No idea. I just fancied calling him a bellend.

Which he is.

Who does he work for again?

I think he mostly works as a consultant. He had a full time gig with Wales when Speed was there and he worked with Bellamy when he was with us and Robben since he went to Bayern.

Is there more on this today ? Haven't heard anymore since Lawrenson said it about a month ago.

Think he's said it again to the BBC. I was hoping someone in here could corroborate as I have some last-morning-of-me-holiers Facebook trolling to do.

The influential Manchester United fanzine Red Issue have called for David Moyes to stamp out the diving culture at Old Trafford - or leave the club.

In a series of passionate postings on Twitter, the fanzine hit out at the recent spate of simulation from Manchester United players.

And Sportsmail understands that the fanzine is set to campaign heavily on this issue in their next publication.

'ckin funny that for mancs