Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Disorderly

Brendan Rodgers, Our ex-Manager

By whom ?

Given that FSG gave Rodgers permission to sack staff ( at a cost ) and also a new cheque book - in fact, that they even appointed him in the first place...

Who's next ?

I'd much rather Rodgers got his act together and we improved, it's crazy talking about sacking a manager five games in - but he's floundering at the moment. He needs to show some balls and do it quickly, it's all quite pathetic.

Really for me though everything comes down to what Klopp is doing - he did say he wanted 6 months off. He may not be available until Christmas, which may be a factor.

Edited by Leo No.8

I do. One of the last to leave (when the police turned up). Cried my eyes out, then went & got hammered & woke up in Garston, of all places.

I was 24. Sigh.

did you go the Garston hotel?

we used to own that pub

then we knocked the f***er down

or did you just 'wake up with some bird' from Garston

it's crazy talking about sacking a manager five games in

This is doing my head in. It's not about 5 games, it's about the fact that even with a completely new front line he's persisting with the tactics that worked so abysmally last season.

To paraphrase a waiter I once knew - He asked for a table, and he got a table, but he's set it on fire to light the room.

I'd much rather Rodgers got his act together and we improved, it's crazy talking about sacking a manager five games in - but he's floundering at the moment. He needs to show some balls and do it quickly, it's all quite pathetic.

Really for me though everything comes down to what Klopp is doing - he did say he wanted 6 months off. He may not be available until Christmas, which may be a factor.

That's the thing tho, it's not just 5 games. We have been a club shellshocked since Stevie slipped and that's been 500 odd days ago! No one can say we rushed it if we got rid. (well, tabloids might use it as a headline and Paul Merson will say it)

This is doing my head in. It's not about 5 games, it's about the fact that even with a completely new front line he's persisting with the tactics that worked so abysmally last season.

To paraphrase a waiter I once knew - He asked for a table, and he got a table, but he's set it on fire to light the room.

spot on

did you go the Garston hotel?

we used to own that pub

then we knocked the f***** down

or did you just 'wake up with some bird' from Garston

One of the lads from Liverpool that we used to drink with was from Garston, late in the evening we went back there, there was a lock in somewhere - might have been the football club. Or the rugby club. Some kind of club anyway. Its all a bit blurry. 20 odd years hasn't helped either.

Yes there was a bird. I was 24, it was all so easy then. Not that she was anything special. Mind you, the state I was in, nor was I.

We could still achieve something this season but we need a change

Potentially. But even if 'all' we achieve is 5th place and a whole lotta hope for next season it's a lot better than finishing 8th, no January spend, a season of dull & insipid football, infighting amongst us fans, p***-taking from other clubs and praying he'll be sacked as soon as possible in May rather than July.

It is ridiculous to let him go now. But even madder to let him stay.

He knows he's on borrowed time. He's had 'that look' since getting no money to spend last January. He must have been as stunned as us to be given a stay of execution. He probably thought he could get rid of that 'dead man walking' aura with a summer break & some brave talk but it's still there. Even if the purchases, injuries, coaches, tactics, selections, support etc were all aligned perfectly for him he wouldn't be able to turn it around because he looks beaten over & above all else. It would be kinder to put him out of his misery.

There are other options available other than Klopp you know

Agree with all of this. Had my doubts and concerns before, but the Villa semi was like the Everton match under RFH. It became beyond doubt that it wasn't going to work.

On the TAW point, it would be ridiculous to sack him now after backing him in the summer, but the part that is ridiculous is the backing him, firing him just exposes that decision for what it was. The longer this goes on, the more ridiculous that decision (or lack of decision) looks.

If we sack him in 2 matches, or 2 months, it will not only look ridiculous to have backed him in the summer, it will look ridiculous to have written off an entire season to try to avoid looking silly.

FSG pretty much got a pass when they wrote off 2010/11 by letting RFH linger well beyond the obvious, I'm not sure they'll be forgiven again, specially if they lose out on the obvious replacements by doing so.

completely agree

time for FSG to be decisive and do the obvious thing for once

There's still a s***-load of tickets available for this on the official ticket site. Shows the level of apathy and disillusionment around at the moment.

If that continues and the results remain poor, he'll be out the door. That will be the motivation that FSG need

Yeah It's not 5 games. It's his 4th season

Well Firmino is more Klopp than Rodgers. Benteke, too.

Football kerplunk.

The assessment that led FSG to back Rodgers in the summer would have inevitably included the scenario that things didn't just turn round immediately. I would personally have sacked him in the summer, but I would not expect, nor do I believe it right, to reverse the initial support after just 5 subsequent games, which have not all been conclusive - albeit not far off.

The way last season ended does of course come into consideration at some point, and I wouldn't expect him to last beyond Christmas if things don't improve significantly, so it was not exactly a clean slate, but it was a fresh start and as such flip-flopping after 5 games looks like knee jerk rather than strong management to me.

Of course, if you were always committed to him going its easy to just restate that position and point to those 5 games and the prior ones as conclusive evidence that you were still right, but the management made a conscious decision, and they are, imo, still justified in sticking with it at this point.

I've just checked

I actually hoped there would be loads so that FSG would f*** off but there only seems to be about 15 left

It fluctuates as Season Ticket holders put back in their tickets for re-sale. Been a while since there was a selection available on the Wednesday before a game though.

The problem we have though is this: even his biggest fans on here would likely say they don't listen to or take any notice of what he says when he talks about the football. At best it is described as irrelevant. At worst it is self serving gibberish. Nobody but nobody takes him seriously as a manager, all anyone can do is project an image of what he should be like on to him, and what his football could be like if he was a better manager. So we are in a better place as supporters if we turn down the sound (or even better switch off coz he looks up the wall). That's us. The owners though do listen to him. His stuff sounds good to them. He won the job with his talking. He kept his job with his talking. They think his crap is good enough. It isn't though. It is bang average.

Edited by smithdown

His stuff sounds good to them. He won the job with his talking. He kept his job with his talking

He had the team playing out of their skins for a year with his talking too. It wasn't just Suarez - the entire team bought into what he was saying.

That kind of motivation though - I think once people doubt you, or you doubt yourself, then projecting that kind of confidence and motivating people with it becomes impossible.

And recovering it - that's the million dollar question - but I think you struggle to ever get it back.

He had the team playing out of their skins for a year with his talking too. It wasn't just Suarez - the entire team bought into what he was saying.

That kind of motivation though - I think once people doubt you, or you doubt yourself, then projecting that kind of confidence and motivating people with it becomes impossible.

And recovering it - that's the million dollar question - but I think you struggle to ever get it back.

i think there's a tipping point for any manager that relies on having minimum 3 or 4 really top players, and at least two of them up the pitch. suarez/gerrard alone wasn't enough to make us consistently good. you add sturridge and coutinho to the mix and you start to get a momentum that pulls others along. we've obviously had better managers than rodgers, even in recent years, who've won cups, but in terms of getting momentum you need to challenge a league title i think it's the simple fact of the number of quality players that's the biggest ingredient.