Brendan Rodgers, Our ex-Manager

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny how defensive people get about someone trying to make a positive point about a side/manager that gave us the best title challenge in a generation a few months ago.

yes we're not scoring goals at the moment, but then i don't suspect so many are contesting his ability to produce sides that do that. the defensive concerns have been more prolonged.

i think there is consolation in the fact that we're not conceding nearly as often at home. as i think it makes the problem more specific and therefore slightly easier to address. benitez had a similar if not so profound issue away from home in the league the summer before he bought sissoko and crouch.

Edited by yellow jumper

we've got the third best defence in the league at home. think we had the fourth or fifth best last season. it was a characteristic of his swansea side too. even in the championship.

What are they best at, out of interest...?

EDIT: That's not to be be sneery, by the way; I mean by what measure are you getting that as I see stats on whoscored that has our defence 11th overall and 10th at home

Edited by Mr Kite

I remember when Rodgers came here, he talked a lot about defending with the ball, and how the other team can't score if they don't have it.

Defending with the ball sounds fine, but our shape when we don't have it is what needs the most work. A lot of small teams don't attack us at anfield like they do at their own grounds which I think partly explains the improved home defence. We have to learn to defend as a unit and not leave huge gaps for teams to exploit.

funny how defensive people get about someone trying to make a positive point about a side/manager that gave us the best title challenge in a generation a few months ago.

yes we're not scoring goals at the moment, but then i don't suspect so many are contesting his ability to produce sides that do that. the defensive concerns have been more prolonged.

i think there is consolation in the fact that we're not conceding nearly as often at home. as i think it makes the problem more specific and therefore slightly easier to address. benitez had a similar if not so profound issue away from home in the league the summer before he bought sissoko and crouch.

Sorry for being condescending about LFC's glorious Bronze medal win in the 2014 home defending championship.

I'm doing it again aren't i...

I don't think you can really say we're any good at defending though. Teams don't come to Anfield and have much of a go, and when they do, they usually score. The stats in this case, are contradicted by loads of real life stuff.

Edited by Jarg Armani

Home defending championship 2014/15

Sorry for being condescending about LFC's glorious Bronze medal win in the 2014 home defending championship.

I'm doing it again aren't i...

I don't think you can really say we're any good at defending though. Teams don't come to Anfield and have much of a go, and when they do, they usually score. The stats in this case, are contradicted by loads of real life stuff.

i know there's an element of shade here, that might be tough to grasp... but i'm not sure i've claimed anywhere that we're a very good side at defending. it was merely of interest (to me at least) that the difference in home and away numbers is quite so stark in comparison to most other sides. it was also a characteristic of his swansea team.

i'm generally of the belief that in his time here our best defensive performances have coincided with our best attacking performances. obviously the forwards important in that, but also think the physical effort and balance in midfield too.

of course the back 4 or 5 come into stark focus when we're playing and defending as badly as we are at the moment. it's slightly missing the point though, in my view. i don't think it's how he views the game, rightly or wrongly.

Edited by yellow jumper

Given that Times story last week, not so sure.

Agree - tis odd, when I first read I thought the same i.e. its not a recent thing

I expect the mention in the times was from our good friend Duncan Castles - he's a t*** of the highest order, but he does have links to Mourinho who AVB used to work for.

TBH when we were first linked to AVB - I was keen, he's a good coach with a reasonable record. He suffered at Chelsea because he tried to ship out the old guard too quickly. As for Spurs he got a shed load of players he didnt want - but he isnt known for his people skills!

Some of the stories that came out of Chelsea post getting sacked were pretty bad - but they did come from pro chavski journalists.

i know there's an element of shade here, that might be tough to grasp... but i'm not sure i've claimed anywhere that we're a very good side at defending. it was merely of interest (to me at least) that the difference in home and away numbers is quite so stark in comparison to most other sides. it was also a characteristic of his swansea team.

Where are you getting this from? As I said earlier, the stats I see has us 11th overall and 10th at home, hardly any difference?

I think over the last 6 games or so, we've grinded things out a little and tonight was thoroughly deserved. I wasn't looking forward to tonight's game but it's a really good result. And fair play to Rodgers and the players - things haven't been too good this season but I think it takes guts to stick at it like he and (most) of the players have. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

In that initial post that people disagreed with, there's no mention of away goals and every implication that we're better defensively than others might suggest.

we've got the third best defence in the league at home. think we had the fourth or fifth best last season. it was a characteristic of his swansea side too. even in the championship.

Where are you getting this from? As I said earlier, the stats I see has us 11th overall and 10th at home, hardly any difference?

just the number of goals conceded.

In that initial post that people disagreed with, there's no mention of away goals and every implication that we're better defensively than others might suggest.

it's not an implication. and there's nothing to disagree with. we haven't conceded an unreasonable number of goals at home in either of his 2 full seasons or this one so far, considering there's been such criticism of the defending overall. clearly there's a substantial issue away from home (as could be much more easily implied from that post, and if not that one the ones after it).

I think over the last 6 games or so, we've grinded things out a little and tonight was thoroughly deserved. I wasn't looking forward to tonight's game but it's a really good result. And fair play to Rodgers and the players - things haven't been too good this season but I think it takes guts to stick at it like he and (most) of the players have. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Agreed. Even though results have been s*** we're finally moving in the right direction. Happy for him for the win tonight. I think we played good for large parts of the game.

I think it was fifty(!) consecutive passes before the first goal, and thirty for the second. I think he'll get us out of this rut we've been in and hopefully we'll find a way to stop fear from striking as soon as we've let one in. This was a good game to get back to the basics and we played some good football. Seems to be a lot about confidence at the moment for me, hopefully we'll build on this.

Agreed. Even though results have been s*** we're finally moving in the right direction. Happy for him for the win tonight. I think we played good for large parts of the game.

I think it was fifty(!) consecutive passes before the first goal, and thirty for the second. I think he'll get us out of this rut we've been in and hopefully we'll find a way to stop fear from striking as soon as we've let one in. This was a good game to get back to the basics and we played some good football. Seems to be a lot about confidence at the moment for me, hopefully we'll build on this.

That first goal was incredible. But the display last night (and against them at the w/e) that BR's system needs very good players up front. We need the top attacker in Jan, it has to happen otherwise there is no point persisting with this.

Think the 3-4-3 suits us at the moment, gets all of our best attacking players on the pitch and sets us up better for Pressing their back line and running in behind, certainly more than the 4-2-3-1 with Lambert up front.

As much as you can have a go at Brendan for getting things wrong this season he deserves credit when he gets something right. Obviously it's just a win against Bournemouth but there are signs that we'll fare well with this system until Sturridge returns.