By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Blackberry

SkippyjonJones

Was worth $100 Billion in 2007.

now sold for $4.7B to Fairfax....

gonna be an interesting ride as Blackberry will have to prove they are capable of running as a profitable unit - or they'll probably get carved up for the value. They must be sitting on a bundle of cash for Fairfax to be interested in the whole lot.

anyone here affected by the job cuts?

No, but work have just switched to Apple, so I'll be getting rid of my BB and getting an iPhone shortly. I presume a lot of their customers have done the same thing.

I don't think the takeup on the new phone was near the amounts that they'd anticipated.

Its good but its tough to compete with the saturation of the market by apple and google based products.

It's a tough one - there are a lot of costs involved in maintaining enterprise Blackberry.

For us we have 4 Global Sites, each of them as clustered servers, and SQL - so I think it's 4 servers per location for 16. That's blackberry 10, we have the

same for Blackberry 4.

So 32 servers to allow the remaining 250 or so users to keep it, versus iPhone with activesync.

now sold for $4.7B to Fairfax....

Not sold to them yet - might be in 6 weeks.

anyone here affected by the job cuts?

Not by the previous rounds - next lot will be over course of 9 months or so, so we'll see....I'm holding out for the redundancy package.

I presume a lot of their customers have done the same thing.

Gained customers actually - BES 10 supports non-BB phones too. Just not selling enough phones.

So 32 servers to allow the remaining 250 or so users

Overkill - who signed that one off? Could easily reduce the number of servers if they tried.

Not sold to them yet - might be in 6 weeks.

yeah but with Fairfax being the top shareholder already and having spend over a billion in shares so far then I can't see then letting the money they have go down the drain. Fairfax are pretty good at the due diligence - if theres value there for them then they'll uncover it.

The good news (or bad depending on your point of view) is that Prem will let them run the company - with maybe one or two appointments. What Fairfax does is invest. Any cash will be handled by their investment arm and put to work.

be interesting to see how it falls out.

Good luck with the payoff NE.. It was Fairfax I worked for until last January. They stuck to their side off the bargain with the payoff. I then spent 5 months getting a job and it all went :D

Right I am off to lump all my money on Fairfax in the morning. There's my endorsement right there.

haha! actually that's not the worst idea you've ever had....

that's a lot of competition at that end of the scale :D

Apple-Schmapple

Over-rated, innovation-bereft cash-cow, now Steve Jobs is dead.

nothing wrong with a cash cow as long as its cheap enough. Innovation berift? maybe - I think the next gen of phones will show that - or not. they have a lot of people working on new stuff.. or they buy it.. may pay off.

Over rated? 9 million new phones bought over the weekend... so I think your opinion is in the minority.

as for Fairfax - they aren't putting any more money up for blackberry - they are throwing their 10% of the company in the ring and looking for investors to join them... wonder who will be up for that...

Over rated? 9 million new phones bought over the weekend... so I think your opinion is in the minority.

No accounting for taste or those that think "If it ain't Apple, it's nothing"

This queuing up all night for new Apple products is the nadir of capitalist consumerism.

Do people really care that much and, if so, I don't believe their priorities are sound.

This queuing up all night for new Apple products is the nadir of capitalist consumerism.

Do people really care that much and, if so, I don't believe their priorities are sound.

its not about priorities of the people - its the finacials that need to stand up in a valuation.. and give the short term nature of the products you have to make assumtions in future cash flow and products..

thats a bit off the wall for me - I don;t own apple and the price would have to drop a long way for it to be attractive

People have queued for stuff forever.

How much is 'that much'? Are you equally dismissive about people who spend a whole day on the phone/computer trying to get Glastonbury tickets?

Apple products just work so easily that's why they got to a place where they became consumer-desirable

not for me, my missus is forever shoving her iphone at me to ask how such and such works, and I get confused thinking there must be at least a couple of buttons missing and lash it back again

its not about priorities of the people - its the finacials that need to stand up in a valuation.. and give the short term nature of the products you have to make assumtions in future cash flow and products..

Management gobbledygook for "pile em high-sell em cheap"

People have queued for stuff forever.

How much is 'that much'? Are you equally dismissive about people who spend a whole day on the phone/computer trying to get Glastonbury tickets?

Hardly the same thing. If you really want a memorable experience of a 3-day festival, fair enough. But queuing up for a commodity that will be obsolete in a short space of time is beyond me.

Edited by Duncan Disorderly

It's a bullsh** deal - Fairfax are paying well over the odds to help keep the window dressed nicely whilst they take the company private.

Blackberry really took their eye off the ball whilst this industry pushed ahead - and I fear that they are keen to dig their heels in and prove they were right along. Taking the company private will allow them to do that without quarterly interrogation by analysts ... the Fairfax deal will probably only delay the arrival at their ultimate destination.

Edited by RP

It's a bullsh** deal - Fairfax are paying well over the odds to help keep the window dressed nicely whilst they take the company private.

Blackberry really took their eye off the ball whilst this industry pushed ahead - and I fear that they are keen to dig their heels in and prove they were right along. Taking the company private will allow them to do that without quarterly interrogation by analysts ... the Fairfax deal will probably only delay the arrival at their ultimate destination.

Its a decent deal for Fairfax if they lead the consortium of buyers without buying any more shares. They get costs paid and get to direct the way Blackberry goes without putting up more cash.

If Blackberry can't stop losing cash then liquidate. they have plenty of cash now and the patents may be valuable.. I don't know where any other value comes from though.