By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

18 YO Spared the death penalty

Nebraska Red

as he was 17 at the time of the murder.

A US teenage robber who counted down to shoot a baby dead after his mother refused to hand over her purse has been jailed for life without parole.

De'Marquise Elkins, 18, shot 13-month-old Antonio Santiago, who was in a pushchair, between the eyes on 21 March this year in the US state of Georgia.

Elkins was spared the death penalty as he was 17 at the time. He showed no emotion as he was sentenced.

The mother of the dead child said Elkins had taken "the love of my life".

During Thursday's sentencing, the judge gave Elkins the maximum sentence.

He imposed an additional 105 years in prison on other charges, including 30 years for shooting and wounding a pastor outside his church 10 days before the killing.

The jury in the town of Marietta, Georgia, last month found him guilty on 11 counts, including two counts of felony murder and one count of malice murder.

During the trial, prosecutors said Elkins had approached Antonio and his mother, Sherry West, to demand cash.

When she refused, Elkins twice threatened her baby and counted down from five as Ms West pleaded that she had no money.

She tried to cover her child with her arms as the gunman fired a warning shot, a bullet into her leg and then shot her baby.

On Thursday, Ms West delivered a victim statement, made to rhyme like a poem, about the loss of her son.

"His first word was never heard. His first sentence was never said," she told the court through tears. "He never got to sleep in a toddler bed."

Defence lawyer Kevin Gough said afterwards that the sentence had been harsh.

"Life without parole for a juvenile, our position remains, is cruel and unusual punishment," he said.

The defence team said Elkins had been neglected by a mother who struggled with drug abuse and sometimes left him home alone without food.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24083509#

That occurred in Savannah didn't it? Odd that they would have the trial in Marietta. Maybe they couldn't find an untainted jury pool given the horrific nature of the crime.

Didn't his family help him try to cover it up too? Nice. They should get long sentences too if that is the case.

Rot in there you horrible little scumbag.

Shameful. Also note that the juvenile in the Delhi rape case got a sentence of 3 years despite what he actually did - I wont post details as it would sicken people but I can understand why some are going to be outraged at both of these sentences.

edited x 2 - previous text could be misinterpreted as insensitive.

Edited by DPD1973

There's no amount of bad upbringing or poverty that justifies shooting a toddler between the eyes in pre meditated fashion. It really is just evil.

Agreed. It is incredible how completely devoid of remorse, compassion and to some degrees comprehension of the magnitude of their crimes. It's really disturbing that these young people feel this way.

Harsh penalties coupled with teaching these young kids what will happen to them if they commit such heinous crimes is part of the answer. The other half is actually giving them some hope for a better life and a minimum standard to live in at all times.

Shameful. Also note that the juvenile in the Delhi rape case got a sentence of 3 years despite what he actually did - I wont post details as it would sicken people but I can understand why some are going to be outraged at both of these sentences.

edited x 2 - previous text could be misinterpreted as insensitive.

My friend told me details about that Delhi case - and in particular the 17 year old - that I didn't know about the other night. f***ing jawdroppingly hideous stuff.

Agreed. It is incredible how completely devoid of remorse, compassion and to some degrees comprehension of the magnitude of their crimes. It's really disturbing that these young people feel this way.

Harsh penalties coupled with teaching these young kids what will happen to them if they commit such heinous crimes is part of the answer. The other half is actually giving them some hope for a better life and a minimum standard to live in at all times.

mark of a psychopath though isn't it, no guilt/remorse?