By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

New Car time - to lease or not to lease

Barnesy_10

Been out today to look at new cars. Looking at 2008 era GTI or A3...

Ideally I'd get a newer one but funds are limited at the minute.

Was looking at lease companies as I could feasibly get a newer model and possibly a scirocco which are all out of my budget.

Anyone using lease companies? Any horror stories or things to watch out for?

The issue with leasing that I found in the past was the extortionate figures they come up with if the car has any dints or scratches when you return it back as you will have to pay for it.

have you thought about getting a loan to pay for the car? There are some very low rates available for short term loans up to 5 years if you have a good credit history

The issue with leasing that I found in the past was the extortionate figures they come up with if the car has any dints or scratches when you return it back as you will have to pay for it.

have you thought about getting a loan to pay for the car? There are some very low rates available for short term loans up to 5 years if you have a good credit history

Yeah a mate had an Audi on lease and he got grief for not putting their approved tyres on it when they collected it.

Will check out loans. Will be putting a big deposit down and then monthly payments

I was in the auto leasing business for a long time. Ask yourself this: are you OK with driving a car until it has 100K+ miles on it and do you need to drive more than the mileage allowance annually. If the answer is yes to those questions, then buy it.

If you can take care of a car well and you don't mind the extra cost overall for leasing and really want a nicer car, then lease it.

Yeah a mate had an Audi on lease and he got grief for not putting their approved tyres on it when they collected it.

Will check out loans. Will be putting a big deposit down and then monthly payments

Check put tesco and marks and Spencer's - saw on moneysupernaket that theirs were about 5.2% a couple of months back

Update:

Bought myself a new car today! Got a great deal.

Got myself a very low mileage 30th anniversary Golf GTI from 2008.

Sainsburys were by far the best deal!

Thanks for the help

How much did you borrow and at what rate if you don't mind me asking mate? Was it fairly quick to sort out the loan with them and to send the money over?

How much did you borrow and at what rate if you don't mind me asking mate? Was it fairly quick to sort out the loan with them and to send the money over?

I bought a car with a loan from Sainsburys a few months ago, they offered me a rate of 5.1% and it took a little over a week from initial application to receiving the money.