By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Things to do to cheer us up

Stanley Leisure

Exactly Cobs

And yeah I thought so John reconciling UBI and Open Borders looks like the type of problem people on the left should be looking at and I'm sure we've discussed before so hopefully in 6 years I may have some idea whether they can be

Got an unconditional offer to commence my PhD, after an initial referral and work on the proposal, I start officially Feb 1st.

What the f*** am I doing and yeah I'm pretty excited by this.

Well done man, hopefully we can be in the same country if you're over here again.

Well done man, hopefully we can be in the same country if you're over here again.

I'm over March I think and am thinking of travelling via Pembroke rather than Anglesey

And cheers all, was disappointed but unsurprised that I initially got a referral but the proposal was written when I was in the middle of other stuff and am happy with it now.

Got an unconditional offer to commence my PhD, after an initial referral and work on the proposal, I start officially Feb 1st.

What the f*** am I doing and yeah I'm pretty excited by this.

Hey hey! Nice work there Vic. Last year not so good, this year will be cracking. The worm has turned!

Congratulations.

Cheers John, the research question may be of interest to you, it's how to reconcile welfare provision with open borders.

*light dawns on marble head*

Now I understand.

Hopefully get the chance to read some of it because I'm fascinated to understand how someone thinks it's possible given the current state of the world but also the natural distribution of resources even before the first lines were drawn.

I just don't think it's possible or practical

*light dawns on marble head*

Now I understand.

Hopefully get the chance to read some of it because I'm fascinated to understand how someone thinks it's possible given the current state of the world but also the natural distribution of resources even before the first lines were drawn.

it isn't possible because of human nature

it's theoretically possible of course but it won't ever happen as it's affected indirectly by too many other factors

that said, when our decision-making progress eventually surrenders to algorithms, if it's the best course of action at the time, it will happen

but of course there's a race against time viz impending climate catastrophe to be won first so if a tech solution for that doesn't pop up then it's probably all bets off

in that scenario, the complete opposite of open border policy will come in to effect

anyway, good news Vic

great news in fact

I'm going to be blogging to give me practice writing albeit less formally because the actual writing is my biggest challenge and there are a few. It won't be as academic as the thesis itself but it will be a good introduction to the area.

Fact is people have entertained freedom of movement for years before there were border controls and while the ideal of free movement seems implausible now there is still value in establishing the ideal as it informs how we address the needs of people in asylum, the stateless, refugees and so on.