By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Sonos

Cunny

I got a Vinylplay turntable - it's basically a Rega Planar 1 but with a pre-amp built in. From there I got a Sonos Amp that plugs into the TT and then fires it out over WiFi.

Problem with it is the analogue signal (?) is way heavier than a digital one is so it drops out frequently, but I had Sonos support on my machine and they ID'd loads of WiFi interference, we changed channels & all sorts over about a 6w period. Never sorted it but that intereference could just be living in a very built up part of Manhattan - I'm gonna take it to the house upstate where I have about 2 neighbours in a square mile & see what happens there

Other than having the sound in multiple rooms, I can't see the point of having vinyl wifi-ing into a multi-room system. For me (one of) the point(s) of vinyl is the act or sitting down and listening to it in a single room with a half decent stereo system.

If you're multi-rooming you're not that arsed about listening to it properly so why would you be bothered about having a turntable that enables that?

Edited by charlie clown

For those of you with a mix of old and new, I asked the SimplySound and Vision folk a question about a mix...

If it is the music sources that we are to see being restricted as a result of the decision from Sonos you will be protected somewhat by the access you have to your music library as this should still be accessible and playable across all devices in a blended system. If you were hoping that the newer devices would accept the newer software and could then send music to the legacy devices, I am afraid this will not be the case, due to the mentioned requirement for all Sonos devices to be on the same software version.

f***ers

I see that the Sonos CEO has rolled back the announcement because of the overwhelming customer outcry. Hugely embarrassing for them but good that they’ve had the cojones to do that.

Basically "no new features for old stuff but we'll continue to make them all play nicely together". Which is a good result - but if they'd done that from the start they'd have avoided the reputational damage

Basically "no new features for old stuff but we'll continue to make them all play nicely together". Which is a good result - but if they'd done that from the start they'd have avoided the reputational damage

Actually that's not what they're saying at all - in fact they're saying they're going to do exactly what they said - old stuff can't exist in the same group as new stuff

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

https://blog.sonos.com/en/a-letter-from-our-ceo/

• 6 months later...
12 hours ago, Gethin said:

So has anyone upgraded to the S2 controller software? Worth it?

Suppose so, it's a little more user-friendly. Put it this way, there's no reason not to.

Incredibly frustrating that so much stuff causes interference. When I went through the issues I'd been having it basically just came down to having powerline adapters in the same house.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

Suppose so, it's a little more user-friendly. Put it this way, there's no reason not to.

Incredibly frustrating that so much stuff causes interference. When I went through the issues I'd been having it basically just came down to having powerline adapters in the same house.

Don't get any interference on ours, but we also don't use powerline adaptors

If you want to get away from Powerlines these Wifi access points are awesome

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016K5A06C?tag=duckduckgo-ffab-uk-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

We've got 2 covering our place which is 4000ft2 with 2ft thick stone walls so 1 of them, placed centrally would cover most houses. Only issue is that you have to run Cat 6 cable from your router to where you want to position it. If you can do that it kicks the a*** of powerlines

14 hours ago, Gethin said:

So has anyone upgraded to the S2 controller software? Worth it?

Ive done it and seems to work ok. Havent even looked if theres any extra functionality on it tbh

2 hours ago, cymrococh said:

I use TPLink Powerlines and don't get any interference

I added youtube music to it as well and works fine

2 hours ago, charlie clown said:

I wish Sonos would allow iTunes to play natively. I find it a bit of a bind that I have to 'line in' to my phone or tablet to get my iTunes stuff to play. 

It's fine if you have your library on a NAS. Think you can also assign your laptop/PC a static IP address and link the Sonos to the library on your local drive as the static IP ensures its location on the network won't change.

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, Swipe said:

If you’ve got a Sonos product and have it registered online you can get a 15-30% discount on a new product atm.

Been thinking about getting one of their Arc soundbars. 

Mate has one of those, says it's ace but did warn it relied on your TVs specs too.

Edited by mofus77

5 minutes ago, mofus77 said:

Mate has one of those, says it's ace but did warn it relied on your TVs specs too.

Yeah I’m planning on getting a nice new tv too. Know the one I’m getting. Just waiting to see if it comes down in price anywhere on Black Friday. Read a review that recommended pairing it with an Arc or a Beam.

Edited by Swipe

27 minutes ago, Swipe said:

If you’ve got a Sonos product and have it registered online you can get a 15-30% discount on a new product atm.

Been thinking about getting one of their Arc soundbars. 

That's interesting - wonder if this is a reaction to sales having taken a hit off the back of not handling themselves particularly well recently? Discounts like this are pretty rare from them

57 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Yeah I’m planning on getting a nice new tv too. Know the one I’m getting. Just waiting to see if it comes down in price anywhere on Black Friday. Read a review that recommended pairing it with an Arc or a Beam.

I'm in the market for a new one too, what you going for?

10 hours ago, mofus77 said:

I'm in the market for a new one too, what you going for?

Gonna go for this:

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/lg-oled48cx

It's dear but I've been wanting a properly good one for ages and the reviews are amazing so f*** it! The bigger ones are actually cheaper but we've a small enough living room so it any bigger than 48 would likely just look a bit silly.

The same mate who has the Sonos Arc has the previous version of that. It's class. I bought one that size last time and regretted it, wish I'd gone bigger.

Think I'm going to go for a QLED as it's for our sun room and they're supposed to handle bright rooms better.