By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Expression of interest for an internal job

Elisha_Scott

My Mrs is applying for job internally in her current place of work for which she is perfectly qualified. She pretty much does the job now and fingers crossed she will get it, but they are asking for an expression of interest from people interested. How long should it be? I was thinking about an A4 page?

Should she basically just treat is as a supporting statement to a job application?

Just a formal letter would do wouldnt it?

I dont know to be honest, there are quite a few others going for it and I am not exactly sure what the difference is between applying for the job with a formal letter and applying via 'expression of interest' if any at all.

She should probably ask for some clarification, to be honest.

An expression of interest sounds like something very simple - like an email saying she is interested in the job. However, if they are to conduct interviews, then that would obviously not be enough. Perhaps they intend to ask for CV & List of key achievements later on, if they get more than 1 expression of interest? Like I say, it might be worth her asking.

I'd have thought it was a name-taking exercise, tbh.

Has she asked? Or is that a bonkers idea?

I suggested that but she doesn't want to. I think she thinks its assumed but she isn't sure what to assume. A woman boss advertising a job that a woman is applying for :rolleyes:

I dont think it's unreasonable to ask what form the expresison of interest should take. Maybe if she said, "I've got a single-sided letter drafted up but I cut it down to an e-mail or expand it into something more substantial depending on what you want" she will have covered her options and shown that she is on the ball enough to meet any of the requirements with having to put too much additional effort in.

I suggested that but she doesn't want to. I think she thinks its assumed but she isn't sure what to assume. A woman boss advertising a job that a woman is applying for :rolleyes:/>

Ah. One of them.

My one is leaving her job to come and work with me. 'but what do i tell them?', tell them i have gone mental i dunno, and dont care.

She should be sitting down with her Boss and telling her, "I want you to know that I really want this job, so will be putting in my application ASAP. How much information do you want from me at this stage?"

Expression of interest is usually just a short letter, saying you are interested and giving a flavour of experience and suitability for the role. Having the conversation with the Boss should be the first thing she does though, shows enthusiasm, initiative and how important it is to her. If she works in the same office as her Boss or speaks to her on a regular basis and doesn't speak to her about the job what message will that send?