By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Life

smithdown

Whole-life jail sentences without any prospect of release amount to inhuman and degrading treatment of prisoners, the European court of human rights (ECHR) has ruled.

The landmark judgment will set Strasbourg's judges on a fresh collision course with the UK government but does mean that any of the applicants – the convicted killers Jeremy Bamber, Peter Moore and Douglas Vintner – are likely to be released soon.

In its decision, the ECHR said there had been a violation of Article 3 of the European convention on human rights, which prohibits inhuman and degrading treatment.

The judgment said: "The court found in particular that, for a life sentence to remain compatible with Article 3 there had to be both a possibility of release and a possibility of review."

The court emphasised, however, that "the finding of a violation in the applicants' cases should not be understood as giving them any prospect of imminent release. Whether or not they should be released would depend, for example, on whether there were still legitimate penological grounds for their continued detention and whether they should continue to be detained on grounds of dangerousness. These questions were not in issue."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2013/jul/09/whole-life-jail-sentences-without-review-breach-human-rights

what say the Genny-heads? is it worth all the agg if it's a purely theoretical possibility of review/release, eg like with the Breivik case?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks an obvious one to get all Daily Mail about and many will but it seems to me to be small details, it doesn't mean dangerous murderers are going to be dancing out of jail after 5 years.

Hang on, I've just heard a noise downstairs...................

I think the court has this right. It's a gift to the anti-Europeans, though, as it will be presented negatively.

Overall, some people probably deserve to spend that long in prison. But they should be re-assessed from time to time. Not exactly a controversial one, morally and legally.

What do you think of it all?

Not sure, whiffs of it being a bit of a parlour game to be enjoyed most of all by lawyers tbh.

Can see the point but instituting annual jarg reviews isn't going to do much to the price of fish.

I think the court has this right. It's a gift to the anti-Europeans, though, as it will be presented negatively.

Overall, some people probably deserve to spend that long in prison. But they should be re-assessed from time to time. Not exactly a controversial one, morally and legally.

what he said

How about we let the judge deciding the case with all the evidence before him make a decision on the viability of parole rather than a uniform 25 year parole review for everyone regardless of their crime.

How about we let the judge deciding the case with all the evidence before him make a decision on the viability of parole rather than a uniform 25 year parole review for everyone regardless of their crime.

cos when he's deciding the case he doesn't have all the evidence relevant to parole (however many years later it is) before him?

cos when he's deciding the case he doesn't have all the evidence relevant to parole (however many years later it is) before him?

It's good from time to time be reminded that yes - Spion Kop really is that thick.

I don't really need to add to what Cobs and Gilps have said. But I will anyway.

How long do you think Judges live? Something like those great leatherback turtles? Or Sequoia trees? I quite like the idea that they could be wheeled out to make parole decisions on the cases they previously tried, even if they couldn't remember them. It'd be like a great wheel, turning full circle.

Or are you suggesting some kind of time travel? Or astrology? Or soothsaying? The possibilities really are endless.

Why can't we keep the really bad 'uns locked up for good, I mean like, who gives a f*ck?

Why should Brady ever be released for example, you could have made that call in 1966, a catagory of prisoner too dangerous and evil to ever release is well appropriate, or are we saying we just pretend there'll be a review now and then to wind them up? I'm for that by the way.

Why can't we keep the really bad 'uns locked up for good, I mean like, who gives a f*ck?

Why should Brady ever be released for example, you could have made that call in 1966, a catagory of prisoner too dangerous and evil to ever release is well appropriate, or are we saying we just pretend there'll be a review now and then to wind them up? I'm for that by the way.

Bleeding Europe innit? that an bleedin 'elf and Safety.

Edited by D.Boon

Nothing wrong with having a look at it 40 odd years later and going 'yep, we still think you should be locked up' is there?

We do it because as a society we're supposed to be much better than those we lock up. Prison sentences are about punishment, justice, protecting the public, acting as a deterrent to others and also about the rehabilitation of offenders.

Nothing wrong with having a look at it 40 odd years later and going 'yep, we still think you should be locked up' is there?

We do it because as a society we're supposed to be much better than those we lock up. Prison sentences are about punishment, justice, protecting the public, acting as a deterrent to others and also about the rehabilitation of offenders.

I can't imagine any board who would decide that society, the victims or even the man himself is best served by releasing Ian Brady.

Charlie Manson keeps having parole board hearings doesn't he?

Edited by cymrococh

Bleeding Europe innit? that an bleedin 'elf and Safety.

Shut it Dopey.

release them, but into a big maze which leads back to their cell

:thumbs:

This is the most important bit. Predatory violent sex offenders etc, at what point are they 'safe'? No room for errors I'm afraid.