By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Ramadan

KBR

Happy Ramadan to you all. May it be a blessed one.

First fast starting tonight by the looks of it here in London. Anyone else starting tonight?

It's going to be another tough one this year... 2:58am to 9:20pm. :ohmy:

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

assalam-u-alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

and here we go, eyes down for a full house and all that

you sure about those times? we've got 2.47 to 9.44 here, you're not blagging an entire half an hour!

http://www.liverpoolmuslimsociety.org.uk/3/28/ramadan-timetable-2013-1434h

Wa alaikum As Salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Not blagging kid. It's the times given by East London Mosque... but i'll take the half hour less anyday!

http://www.eastlondonmosque.org.uk/sites/default/files/documents/ELMT-Ramadan2013.pdf

You should have it in winter, like Christmas, or Winterval.

we do, when it's in the winter

Wa alaikum As Salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Not blagging kid. It's the times given by East London Mosque... but i'll take the half hour less anyday!

http://www.eastlondonmosque.org.uk/sites/default/files/documents/ELMT-Ramadan2013.pdf

aye aye!!!

what goes on here?

we do, when it's in the winter

aye aye!!!

what goes on here?

Being further north by a few hundred miles shouldn't mean that much of a time difference... you need to have words!

aye aye!!!

what goes on here?

The day is shorter the further south you go you know.

So a couple of Ramadan 101 questions. How do, for example, Norwegian muslims cope with a summer Ramadan? The days must be loooong up there?

How old are you when you begin fasting? Is it something children do as well?

Being further north by a few hundred miles shouldn't mean that much of a time difference... you need to have words!

Just checked MCR's and Regent's Park and we are indeed lumbered with an extra half an hour, as well as five minutes more than the mancs.

Yours, therefore, are nimps and ours are as tough as winning Wimbledon every single day for an entire month.

So a couple of Ramadan 101 questions. How do, for example, Norwegian muslims cope with a summer Ramadan? The days must be loooong up there?

this will be the first ramadan that my daughter will attempt to fast , she's 9 and a half

but half an hour!!!

Norway is solid, make even ours look like an agreeable stroll around one's drawing room:

http://hamariweb.com/islam/norway_ramadan-timings165.aspx?Page=1

Good question...

I've come across several different opinions given by scholars... but not a universally accepted one.

So if someone is fasting in a country where the sun doesn't even set then they are permitted to fast according to the times in Mecca or...

the nearest Muslim country (if you're in Norway, Finland Sweden - then I think it would be Turkey). I've also read that this can also apply to days which are longer than 18 hours. This is the opinion given by the Al Azhar University in Egypt.

The other side of the opinion comes from Saudi scholars who say that you must stick to the local times.... so long as night time & daytime can be distinguished. So if you're somewhere where it's 23 hours of daylight, and 1 hour of darkness, then hardlines, you must observe the 23 hours of fasting, or the flipside is of course that you're somewhere that has 23 hours of darkness and 1 hour of sunlight, then you're fasting day would only be an hour!

Just checked MCR's and Regent's Park and we are indeed lumbered with an extra half an hour, as well as five minutes more than the mancs.

Yours, therefore, are nimps and ours are as tough as winning Wimbledon every single day for an entire month.

haha! Nice try softy.

Just to complicate things further... they in Saudi be saying it's Wednesday http://www.makkahcalendar.org/en/ramadan-2013.php

Good question...

I've come across several different opinions given by scholars... but not a universally accepted one.

So if someone is fasting in a country where the sun doesn't even set then they are permitted to fast according to the times in Mecca or...

the nearest Muslim country (if you're in Norway, Finland Sweden - then I think it would be Turkey). I've also read that this can also apply to days which are longer than 18 hours. This is the opinion given by the Al Azhar University in Egypt.

The other side of the opinion comes from Saudi scholars who say that you must stick to the local times.... so long as night time & daytime can be distinguished. So if you're somewhere where it's 23 hours of daylight, and 1 hour of darkness, then hardlines, you must observe the 23 hours of fasting, or the flipside is of course that you're somewhere that has 23 hours of darkness and 1 hour of sunlight, then you're fasting day would only be an hour!

why does it have to be a muslim country? and is turkey even a muslim country?

makes more sense to follow the UK or Central Europe than Turkey

don't think the saudi fatwa is viable either tbh

[/size]

Why not just choose anywhere?

Turkey is a secular country, so wouldn't really call it muslim.

this will be the first ramadan that my daughter will attempt to fast , she's 9 and a half

This will sound worse than I mean it but has she chosen to try it? Isn't there an exemption for under 16s? And are sips of water allowed?

We've got a lot of girls at school starting and the concern is about their safety with the warm temperatures at the moment and their concentration later on in the day.

[/size]

aye, makes no sense

if someone in Norway was following Turkish, Algerian or Saudi times they'd be doing shorter days than someone in between in Holland or Germany - no dice

just enjoy it and consider yourself to be presented with the hardest challenge, is where the old head should be at

[/size]

I don't think there is a "muslim" country in the world last time I checked. Otherwise there'd be an Islamic state. I think they may be referring to a country with a majority Muslim population.... I have no idea what the significance of this would be.

I also heard an opinion where it was suggested the nearest country where you get a distinguishable sunrise & sunset, not necessarily a Muslim country... but this is something I heard and not attributed to any school of jurisprudence that I know of.

As for the Saudi fatwa... it's the one with the least amount of arguments, as it's very black and white... but it doesn't answer the question of perpetual daylight.

Why not just choose anywhere?

Turkey is a secular country, so wouldn't really call it muslim.

Think it has something to do with the Islamic university they have in Istanbul and the advice provided by the scholars rather than the country itself.

my local mosque in burton uses the advice from the scholars in turkey particularly on the sitings of the crescent moon. As a result we start fasting in Burton on Wednesday I believe.

Edited by Ibby

This will sound worse than I mean it but has she chosen to try it? Isn't there an exemption for under 16s? And are sips of water allowed?

We've got a lot of girls at school starting and the concern is about their safety with the warm temperatures at the moment and their concentration later on in the day.

Yeah, we've been having the same conversations today, think somoene was going to phone the nearest Mosque to ask for advice so will report back!

In my experience it can hit the lads just as hard, by the way (or are you all girls?)

Edited by kop205