By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

FAO Eric

Murphman

Hello mate, can I pick your brains? He's apparently done well in his exams, he thinks he has at least ABB. He has his offer from Sheffield, a wonderful opportunity and he hasn't stopped going on about it. Then out of the blue he's now looking at the University of Kent? They've offered him a place and he's coming out with he's a tad daunted by the dual aspect of his Japanese studies at Sheffield i.e. history and language combined is a really tough call, and he is considering a straight forward history degree at Kent. Which is fine if that's the truth, but I've sussed he's fallen madly in love and his girlfriend starts at Kings College in London in September, I STRONGLY suspect this has much more with being able to see her than going to Sheffield. Is Kent such a bad option in comparison? He keeps asking about relevant travel into London, times, distance, rail fares etc, and of course we DON'T live in London, but she will be. I'm afraid he'll make the wrong decision for the wrong reason.

Cheers Eric oh font of all knowledge, etc. Murph X

Edited by Murphman

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello mate, can I pick your brains? He's apparently done well in his exams, he thinks he has at least ABB. He has his offer from Sheffield, a wonderful opportunity and he hasn't stopped going on about it. Then out of the blue he's now looking at the University of Kent? They've offered him a place and he's coming out with he's a tad daunted by the dual aspect of his Japanese studies at Sheffield i.e. history and language combined is a really tough call, and he is considering a straight forward history degree at Kent. Which is fine if that's the truth, but I've sussed he's fallen madly in love and his girlfriend starts at Kings College in London in September, I STRONGLY suspect this has much more with being able to see her than going to Sheffield. Is Kent such a bad option in comparison? He keeps asking about relevant travel into London, times, distance, rail fares etc, and of course we DON'T live in London, but she will be. I'm afraid he'll make the wrong decision for the wrong reason.

I've been to Kent Uni for a footy match when I was at Sussex uni

would strongly recommend against it

especially as your lad is from a sleepy village......he needs to hit a city for the sake of his cultural development, especially a city that brought us the Human league, Heaven 17, ABC, Cabaret Voltaire and Pulp

This would be a mistake. I went to Harvard Law School because my ex went there, after splitting up with me and I tried to win her back, but ended up getting shunned socially due to my rather common manners, of course, I had the last laugh after successfully defending my old fitness instructor who had been accused of murder.

He'd be f***ing crackers.

Hope this helps.

I'm inclined to agree. But but's his call ultimately, I'd like to know how Kent compares to Sheffield from a CV/prospective employers point of view, Sheffield was University of the year in 2011 and is in the Russell Group. Kent looks alright but it's not Russell Group, does it make THAT much difference?

This would be a mistake. I went to Harvard Law School because my ex went there, after splitting up with me and I tried to win her back, but ended up getting shunned socially due to my rather common manners, of course, I had the last laugh after successfully defending my old fitness instructor who had been accused of murder.

This can't possibly be true, I've met you regularly and can confirm you are a f*cking thicko who is shunned by society because you are a c*nt and don't wash.

If he's done better than he maybe expected and exceeded his offer then he would possibly be eligible for Adjustment, basically means he has 5 days to find somewhere 'better' than his firm offer who will now give him a place. If he doesn't he still has his firm offer.

Adjustment

So he could potentially still get the best of both worlds* - a place at a good, city university which is also nearer to his girlfriend.

re reputation of University...sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes it doesn't. At times mine (Durham) has definitely helped; at other times it has made f*** all difference.

It is more about what quality of teaching he'll get, ultimately.

* that is if you ignore the obvious and compelling counter argument that his girlfriend being miles away actually IS the best of both worlds.

I'm not sure if that's a kiss on the end of that or if you've rebranded yourself as a civil rights figure. Either way it's a little bit creepy.

I think the obvious, and unfortunate, starting point is that moving to another university than he had originally done so because of a love interest is a spectacularly bad idea. The thing is whilst Kent is, geographically, closer to Kings in many ways it's still a 'long distance university romance'. In this sense being at another university from her means wherever he is is much of a muchness really. It'll either work between them or it won't. I'd rather give it a go with her whilst staying at a Uni I like rather than move and still possibly (probably) break up anyway. He could end up resenting her for a break up and for making him pick a different university. Also how close is the Kent campus to Kings anyway? If that's all he cares about why not Kings itself? Or one of the other London unis? Hell Sussex is only a fairly direct train ride away.

But here endeth the relationship advice.

In regards to Kent as a university I know some people working there in the history department and they're pretty good. It does depend again a bit on what area of history he wants to study. I think I remember you saying Napleonic era before? I'm not overly familiar with Kent's history degree programme itself but in regards to my area (WW1) they're looking good. And I suspect that'll end up looking a bit better in recent months (a WW1 centenary thing I can't really go into details about at the moment).

But, much like last time, I think it largely depends on what it is he wants really. What sort of degree programme, what sort of historical periods he wants to study etc.

I'm inclined to agree. But but's his call ultimately, I'd like to know how Kent compares to Sheffield from a CV/prospective employers point of view, Sheffield was University of the year in 2011 and is in the Russell Group. Kent looks alright but it's not Russell Group, does it make THAT much difference?

Sheffield's an excellent university city ( unless you're a track athlete ). It's about progression and development. Moving away from the area you were brought up in being an early step. The chance to learn Japanese and visit there as part of his education ? Can't be underestimated. Sheff's also a couple of hours from London, close proximity to Liverpool and Manchester.

I think it would be ideal at his age but i have little knowledge of Kent Uni's academic prowess.

And if they are in love then Canterbury or Sheffield won't matter

Like Kop205's post though.

I'm not sure if that's a kiss on the end of that or if you've rebranded yourself as a civil rights figure. Either way it's a little bit creepy.

This post started as a PM but they wouldn't let me send it so it's a copy and paste onto the forum. I often finish pm's with a x, sorry if it spooked you.

This is a genuine question(s), apologies for my lack of insight, I know feck all about Uni's, my instincts tell me he's making a mistake but I can't just go with gut feelings.

Thanks for your input people (apart from Smithdown and that c*nt Matty of course).

If he's done better than he maybe expected and exceeded his offer then he would possibly be eligible for Adjustment, basically means he has 5 days to find somewhere 'better' than his firm offer who will now give him a place. If he doesn't he still has his firm offer.

Adjustment

So he could potentially still get the best of both worlds* - a place at a good, city university which is also nearer to his girlfriend.

re reputation of University...sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes it doesn't. At times mine (Durham) has definitely helped; at other times it has made f*** all difference.

It is more about what quality of teaching he'll get, ultimately.

* that is if you ignore the obvious and compelling counter argument that his girlfriend being miles away actually IS the best of both worlds.

If I were 18 going to Uni not having a girlfriend would be perfect, can't quite believe he's got himself all loved up so close to starting his new life but he has so it's an issue. It's a long wait for his results, I'll bear adjustment in mind mate, many thanks.

Edited by Murphman

She'll be riding half of the Strand Polytechnic by the end of freshers week.

Best he goes and does the same sort of thing in Sheffield.

he's got murph's genes and he's asking eric for advice. not being funny but it's hard to imagine he's going to be beating women off with a sh*tty stick here.

This post started as a PM but they wouldn't let me send it so it's a copy and paste onto the forum. I often finish pm's with a x, sorry if it spooked you.

Ha don't worry about it.

This is a genuine question(s), apologies for my lack of insight, I know feck all about Uni's, my instincts tell me he's making a mistake but I can't just go with gut feelings.

Thanks for your input people (apart from Smithdown and that c*nt Matty of course).

Just tell your lad what we've said here and then let him make his choice. Without being harsh, worst case scenario, better he resents her for sending him to the 'wrong' uni than him resenting you for the same thing.

Thing is he'll want her to visit him as well, so that he isn't doing all the travelling. If she wants a quality weekend away from london then sheffield with its pubs and clubs (cheaper than london prices) and peak district on its doorstep (chance to escape the city) is a far more attractive offer than f***ing kent.

he's got murph's genes and he's asking eric for advice. not being funny but it's hard to imagine he's going to be beating women off with a sh*tty stick here.

You don't think geeky WW1 historians get all the girls?

Because you'd be entirely correct in that assumption. I congratulate you on your astuteness.

Because you'd be entirely correct in that assumption. I congratulate you on your astuteness.

sorry eric, i'm sure you do just fine like. it's the murphy genes that'll be the real curse.

I had a long-distance relationship during my first year at uni. It was a massive waste of time. He should dump her, it will 100% not work out. And if he does marry her he will regret not shagging around when he had the chance.

My 2nd and 3rd year were boss, thanks for asking. I am beguiling you know

I had a long-distance relationship during my first year at uni. It was a massive waste of time. He should dump her, it will 100% not work out. And if he does marry her he will regret not shagging around when he had the chance.

My 2nd and 3rd year were boss, thanks for asking. I am beguiling you know

wise words mate.

Thing is he'll want her to visit him as well, so that he isn't doing all the travelling. If she wants a quality weekend away from london then sheffield with its pubs and clubs (cheaper than london prices) and peak district on its doorstep (chance to escape the city) is a far more attractive offer than f***ing kent.

She'll take one look at that grim s***hole full of Yorkshire c**** and dump him by text on the first train back to St Pancras.

why so?

The athletics ? Closing Don Valley Stadium down is a major blow, although other facilities are top notch. Brilliant if you're a biker, fell runner or climber though.

It appears Matty thinks Sheffield is like that pub in American Werewolf In London

:lol:

Years ago, after a night out on the razzle, we all went back to a mates hourse. Except one. Last we'd seen, he'd been talking to a right stunner dressed in one of those see through little black lace dresses. Anyway, half hour later he walks in with her, says hello and takes her through to the other room before we've time to take the piss out of him. However, he'd walked in during a heated debate about WWII, and Harold, although good looking, is a trench geek. One of the lads walked up to the other door, put his ear to it to listen what was happening. " and then during the second wave of attacks on the beaches..."

She didn't stay long :lol:

I haven't met one woman under 50 who's interested in anything about the two world wars

:lol:/>

Years ago, after a night out on the razzle, we all went back to a mates hourse. Except one. Last we'd seen, he'd been talking to a right stunner dressed in one of those see through little black lace dresses. Anyway, half hour later he walks in with her, says hello and takes her through to the other room before we've time to take the piss out of him. However, he'd walked in during a heated debate about WWII, and Harold, although good looking, is a trench geek. One of the lads walked up to the other door, put his ear to it to listen what was happening. " and then during the second wave of attacks on the beaches..."

She didn't stay long :lol:/>

I haven't met one woman under 50 who's interested in anything about the two world wars

Sounds about right. Although my ex was also a ww1 geek. Can't help but think she might have been the only one in the centre of the 'attractive and willing to sleep with me' and 'interested in ww1' venn diagram.