By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

work event activities

kozma

I've been volunteered to come up with an activity for around 100 people in a room for 45 minutes. The theme is celebrating success. Has anyone done one of these things that's worked well?

I've tried mining my own brain for ideas, but it hasn't come up with anything useful so far, especially given the theme. Any help?

Depends what you are hoping to achieve, but you could split them into smaller groups and get them to define what success looks like for them - everyone usually has a different idea of what success means, as they have different drivers/values/motivators.

To help illustrate the point you could put together a montage of a variety of famous people and ask people to decide if they are successful or not, last time I did that I used Churchill, David Beckham, Cheryl Cole, Rory McIlroy and so on. Some people argued Churchill was a failure as he was the Chancellor responsible for taking Britain off the Gld Standard and one person said Cheryl Cole was a failure as she was divorced. I was using this to generate a debate about success/failure and how we should handle it, but it's not too clear from your post exactly what the goal of the activity is.

Oh, I've gone all boring, the orgy and high 5's is the best way to go. :(

Edited by Billy Dane

Give everyone a pound (of the company's money) and say they have to convince as many people as possible to give them their pound by the end of the session.

At the end, you count up who's got what, and say 'Well, there you go.'

Then leave the room.

100 Employee Battle Royal.. no holds barred, winner takes all.

That's your success right there, then treat the winner to a cold beer to show you're a great organiser.

Edited by Kurt

Depends what you are hoping to achieve, but you could split them into smaller groups and get them to define what success looks like for them - everyone usually has a different idea of what success means, as they have different drivers/values/motivators.

To help illustrate the point you could put together a montage of a variety of famous people and ask people to decide if they are successful or not, last time I did that I used Churchill, David Beckham, Cheryl Cole, Rory McIlroy and so on. Some people argued Churchill was a failure as he was the Chancellor responsible for taking Britain off the Gld Standard and one person said Cheryl Cole was a failure as she was divorced. I was using this to generate a debate about success/failure and how we should handle it, but it's not too clear from your post exactly what the goal of the activity is.

Oh, I've gone all boring, the orgy and high 5's is the best way to go. :(

you were losing me until you got to the montage. shouting at pictures is something everyone can get on board with.

I don't know if I want an orgy with these people. high-fives are inevitable.

Holy hell, that sounds boring.

Divide the 100 people into 10 teams of 10 and have a boat race.

Give everyone a pound (of the company's money) and say they have to convince as many people as possible to give them their pound by the end of the session.

At the end, you count up who's got what, and say 'Well, there you go.'

Then leave the room.

I laughed, you've actually done this haven't you.

I laughed, you've actually done this haven't you.

No, I just made it up, based on the kind of bolllocks I can imagine people doing. :)

I expect I will do it at some stage though...

show them three envelopes, and tell them that you wrote the names of three employees who the management think will under perform during the next 12 months, and let them guess who's in the envelop

Split them into equal groups and challenge them to a race around the world. First team to get all its members back to the office wins. Then when they all run off, your team, which contains all the attractive members of staff, has a big orgy with high fives going on all round.

show them three envelopes, and tell them that you wrote the names of three employees who the management think will under perform during the next 12 months, and let them guess who's in the envelop

Have them say they are "doing it for Lucas" before or after they guess.