By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

HDMI cables and 3d

Tommok

OK so I'm looking at getting a 3d compatible blu-ray player, probably a Sony BDPS490, and the chap in John Lewis said I'd need a high speed HDMI cable to get the best out of the 3d.

I'd thought this high speed HDMI cable thing had been proven to be a bit of a sham unless you want over 5m but this guy was adamant that on a top range 3d tv (I have a Sony hx853) I'd notice a big difference in picture quality with a faster cable.

Is he right?

Loosely related question - on most movies on sky movies and now on my new blu-ray player I keep getting the letter box bands at the top and bottom of the screen.

Now I understand that this is probably because the films are done in widescreen but my tv is a pretty decent 40inch Sony Hx853 LED and so surely can convert the widescreen to full screen? I've set it to to "full" in the screen options but this didn't work.

There's a 'zoom' option but this f***s the pic up

Anyone help?

Doing my head in.

Edited by TommoK

Your telly will be showing things in standard widescreen (16:9).. But films these days are shot in 'even wider screen' if you like. Basically, they're supposed to be letterboxed, so you can't fill the screen with the picture without either losing some image at the sides or forcing some weird ratio distortion.

Your telly will be showing things in standard widescreen (16:9).. But films these days are shot in 'even wider screen' if you like. Basically, they're supposed to be letterboxed, so you can't fill the screen with the picture without either losing some image at the sides or forcing some weird ratio distortion.

I find that annoying