By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Coaching kids football

owenthomas

so my 3 year old goes to footy training (if you can call it that) at the weekends and i've put myself forward to help out at the club and i take my level 1 badge in a few months time..

i'm after any good reading, advice, websites etc that can help me get a bit of knowledge on the subject and to help keep the kids sessions fun (no clowns please).. cheers :thumbs:

so my 3 year old goes to footy training (if you can call it that) at the weekends and i've put myself forward to help out at the club and i take my level 1 badge in a few months time..

i'm after any good reading, advice, websites etc that can help me get a bit of knowledge on the subject and to help keep the kids sessions fun (no clowns please).. cheers :thumbs:

As ever, speak to Molby.

Encourage them to talk to each other on the pitch/during pratcice as much as possible. Find out which of the kids is a natural leader and have him take the lead with talking on the pitch. My son is playing for the junior varsity team at high school with kids aged 15-18 and you hardly hear a word from any of them on the pitch.

Most of all though, make sure it's fun for them.

Coaching these kids is going to be demanding on you, but teach them well and let them lead the way.

Show them all the beauty they possess inside give them a sense of pride to make it easier.

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Coaching these kids is going to be demanding on you, but teach them well and let them lead the way.

Show them all the beauty they possess inside give them a sense of pride to make it easier.

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

:thumbs:

is the correct answer!

Encourage them to talk to each other on the pitch/during pratcice as much as possible. Find out which of the kids is a natural leader and have him take the lead with talking on the pitch. My son is playing for the junior varsity team at high school with kids aged 15-18 and you hardly hear a word from any of them on the pitch.

Most of all though, make sure it's fun for them.

they're 3

Been there! Now doing my sons u8's.

Give them lots of time with the ball. No using hands no keepers. Make it natural to kick with both feet.

A good one we did at u4 was control and pass in pairs.

Remember attention span is 2 minutes to change things often

It's a thankless task at that age too, so don't expect to see much if any improvement until months later.

Most importantly, get a stamp and sweets for the end. If they leave tired and sweating with a well done stamp on their hand and a sweet, they'll have enjoyed it.

so out of about 15 posts i've got two serious ones - that's actually much better than i'd thought! cheers to those.. :thumbs:

i hadn't figured on references to fiddling and Heal The World though so i'm proud that you's got them in! :D

aaaanyway... any resources for the age group i'm coaching? i'm struggling to find anything.. just games for them to play during the sessions etc..

so out of about 15 posts i've got two serious ones - that's actually much better than i'd thought! cheers to those.. :thumbs:

i hadn't figured on references to fiddling and Heal The World though so i'm proud that you's got them in! :D

aaaanyway... any resources for the age group i'm coaching? i'm struggling to find anything.. just games for them to play during the sessions etc..

http://www.soccerxpert.com/u6-u8-soccer-drills.aspx

http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/soccer_drills_and_games_for_very_young_children.htm

Were the parents pissed off at you for leaving the kids there? You seem like a 99 man to me.

It wasn't me mate, I never coached toddlers. My mate reckons they come up during a session asking to go to wee, how the f*ck can you get zonal marking at corners across when you're being interrupted 'cos they can't even go an hour without wanting a piss? :angry:

It wasn't me mate, I never coached toddlers. My mate reckons they come up during a session asking to go to wee, how the f*ck can you get zonal marking at corners across when you're being interrupted 'cos they can't even go an hour without wanting a piss? :angry:

Ironymeter Alert!