Sign in to follow this  
New York Red

The 2022 World Cup

It's not the European Championships. 

no it's the World Cup and it's played June/July 

no it's the World Cup and it's played June/July 

It is normally, but 'It is in the middle of the season' is not a reason, given that the leagues in continents of Asia, North America, South America and even parts of Europe have to deal with it every four years and have done forever. I'm sure we'll cope once. 

It is normally, but 'It is in the middle of the season' is not a reason, given that the leagues in continents of Asia, North America, South America and even parts of Europe have to deal with it every four years and have done forever. I'm sure we'll cope once.

But I don’t want to. It will literally be less fun for me. I’m with Cobs.

TBF - there are greater reasons for it being s*** than it being played in Dec, like a murderous regime that tortures people, doesn't recognize LGBT & it'll be 40 f***ing degrees C during the day

3 years of messed up seasons in Europe isnt it?

No, it'll start a week earlier and finish a week later and won't affect the others. 

TBF - there are greater reasons for it being s*** than it being played in Dec, like a murderous regime that tortures people, doesn't recognize LGBT & it'll be 40 f***ing degrees C during the day

It won't be 40 degrees during the day. It won't even be 30. 

No, it'll start a week earlier and finish a week later and won't affect the others. 

that's not confirmed yet and seems highly implausible

that's not confirmed yet and seems highly implausible

Maybe. But there's no international breaks needed in September or October so you immediately claim back at least 6 weekends/midweeks before christmas. 

Thought it was 2 weeks break prior and a week after? With 2 weeks if you play in the final

the PL want to play games 9 days before the WC starts - i don't think that they're going to be allowed to do that

and you can't punch a 6-7 week hole in the season and replace all those lost fixtures by adding 1 week at the start and 1 week a the end of the normal season

we're yet to see UEFAs plans for the CL & Europa that season too 

Maybe. But there's no international breaks needed in September or October so you immediately claim back at least 6 weekends/midweeks before christmas. 

you might think that - but that's yet to be confirmed too.

Countries are going to want to play warm up games

I want to go and get a pint of lager thrown on my head in Hyde Park, this will bloody wreck that if it's like today, it's baltic!

you can get your Mrs to do it when you tell her you'd rather watch Qatar v Argentina than go Christmas shopping with her

Thing is there will be downstream impact to euro qualifiers too. They normally start after world cup. They have to go somewhere. If you kill the September October November breaks or shorten them, you make up most of the time.

Thing is there will be downstream impact to euro qualifiers too. They normally start after world cup. They have to go somewhere. If you kill the September October November breaks or shorten them, you make up most of the time.

Just cancel the pointless friendlies

Don't other countries/continents have their league seasons disrupted by a summer world cup?

three quarters of the players in a WC are playing for European clubs

not sure how big the disruption is elsewhere. I imagine most other leagues could carry on playing - dunoo if they do