Sign in to follow this  
Sir Tokyo Sexwale

What are you listening to right now

surely we're all listening to the top 10 albums of all time, as voted for by Radio 2 listeners

1 Coldplay Rush Of Blood To The Head (2002)

2 Keane Hopes and Fears (2004)

3 Duran Duran Rio (1982)

4 Pink Floyd The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)

5 Dido No Angel (1999)

6 The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers (1971)

7 The Pet Shop Boys Actually (1987)

8 The Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

9 U2 The Joshua Tree (1987)

10 Queen A Night At The Opera (1975)

The top album was revealed by DJ Jo Whiley following a countdown of the favourites throughout the day.

Radio 2's head of music, Jeff Smith, said: "With albums ranging from Sinatra in the 50s to Emeli Sandé in the last year, the range of eras and genres exhibited by the chart is typical of the breadth of Radio 2 and its distinctive music policy.

"Musicians such as Coldplay and Dido have struck a chord with listeners and are in good company in the top 10 alongside legendary bands like the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, whose appeal remains undiminished after all these years.", droned Smith, til he vomited himself dead with boredom.

I just can't work out how, if you're not related to them in any way or earning a living out of it, someone could say a Keane album was one of the best of all time. I mean, it's not compulsory to hate them or be entirely disinterested in their pie-faced whatever you'd call it, but there must be loads of people whose life has suffered some sort of impact and movement due to a collection of songs by Keane, I dunno.

Radio 2 will never shake that Terry Wogan, didi David Hamilton image for me. That list confrms it.

There was a period about 8-10 years back when I listened to R2 a fair bit - some or their speciality programees were really good (Radcliffe/Maconie in the evening which was bland but enjoyable, Mark Lamarr's reggae slots, some of the folk, jazz, C&W and blues stuff) but it seems to have just developed into R1 for people too old to tolerate R1 now, just a blander, homogenised version of the yoof radio of yesteryear.

The Complete Columbia Recordings of Billie Holiday has just dropped through my letterbox - 10 CD boxed set of wondrous music. So that will be next up as soon as I've got a few phone calls out of the way. Not all of it maybe but at least two or three of em.

The Liz Kershaw show on a Saturday also deos my hed in on R6. It's just waaaaaay to close to being one of those really kak 'text in and tell us what you're up this Saturdee'. I say 'close to', it actually is one of them.

Like anyone feckn cares what Trevor and Melissa from Militon Keynes are doing.

Having gone through the stream of Stone Sour's newie twice, am now on Alkaline Trio's new one (also streamed).

Good day for music so far

Radio 1 in the office.

I think I heard the voice of that bellend Scott Mills before the latest batch of non-descript songs.

Funk yourself - Volume 2 - track currently on is; The Crown - Gary Byrd and The GB Experience.

Absolute tune.

Absolute tune.

can remember getting the 12" of that ( not sure if it was on 7" actually), seems decades ago. haven't played it in years.

got deptford goth on again, its a beautiful album.

Edited by muleskinner