By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Stevie -- The future?

New York Red

He's really had an exceptional season. Possibly his best ever for us. Sure, he's guided us to major titles in the past, but this season he has been more industrious, healthy and a magnificent example than ever before. The way he is going, I can see him chugging along just likes Giggs; in a limited role but hammering our great performances until he's 40+.

So what I ask is, will he be effective in that role? Will it work or will it be a hinderance for us?

A bigger question is this. Will he be our manager within five years? Possibly in a player-manager role?

I think he could be the best ever for us in that role. That's a tall order I know given our history. But, he really is that special...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's had a decent season, that at times has dropped below his norm, and at other times he's been fantastic. The fact that he's played every minute in the league is very impressive, but I don't think it's anywhere close to being his best ever season for us.

Think he can definitely continue to play a restrained, deeper role for us for a good few years, and I think he'd quit before he became a hindrance. Doubt very much that any top team will ever have a player manager these days.

He's really had an exceptional season. Possibly his best ever for us. Sure, he's guided us to major titles in the past, but this season he has been more industrious, healthy and a magnificent example than ever before. The way he is going, I can see him chugging along just likes Giggs; in a limited role but hammering our great performances until he's 40+.

So what I ask is, will he be effective in that role? Will it work or will it be a hinderance for us?

A bigger question is this. Will he be our manager within five years? Possibly in a player-manager role?

I think he could be the best ever for us in that role. That's a tall order I know given our history. But, he really is that special...

cast your mind back through his career and see if you still think this is his best season. he is playing well but he was amongst the top 3 players in the world a few years back.

Don't think you can be more wrong tbh. First half of the season he was awful at times, anonymous in many games. His form has significantly improved fair play, to a level you'd expect someone nearing the twilight years of his career. But this is Stevie G, captain of Liverpool and that renewed form is the minimum you'd expect.

Chuffed he regained that and think he can do a good job over the next couple of years but we seriously need to be looking for a long term replacement both in terms of centre mid maestro and a captain/leader.

To say this had been his bet season, when arguably it has been his worste when looked at overall , seems strange

Remember the season when he was playing just off Torres and ripping teams apart for fun?

That one

I'd go for the season he scored 23 largely playing off the right including winning the cup final almost single handedly.

He has really grown into this season, and the number of games he has played matched with him getting progressively better is a great indication he's here for a while. Seems to have settled into his role.

because there hasn't been an even vaguely successful player-manager for about fifteen years.

Well, Steven Gerrard hasn't been in a position to be Player- Manager in that time.

Not sure its not a self-fulfilling argument this; that there hasn't been one in that tme may just be about the zeitgeist rather than a studied analysis by Chairmen.

By the way, if its obviously not his best season, its unlikely to be his worst as one poster has suggested (2009-10, fwiw)

Remember the season when he was playing just off Torres and ripping teams apart for fun?

That one

I'd go for the season he scored 23 largely playing off the right including winning the cup final almost single handedly.

He has really grown into this season, and the number of games he has played matched with him getting progressively better is a great indication he's here for a while. Seems to have settled into his role.

Well, Steven Gerrard hasn't been in a position to be Player- Manager in that time.

Not sure its not a self-fulfilling argument this; that there hasn't been one in that tme may just be about the zeitgeist rather than a studied analysis by Chairmen.

By the way, if its obviously not his best season, its unlikely to be his worst as one poster has suggested (2009-10, fwiw)

did you just use the word 'zeigeist' on a football forum?

kenny dalglish, luca vialli. gordon strachan? ruud gullit? the modern era has been more about the shift to technically-minded managers who don't even necessarily need to have been players at all. would like to think that the player-manager model is a thing of the past really.

did you just use the word 'zeigeist' on a football forum?

kenny dalglish, luca vialli. gordon strachan? ruud gullit? the modern era has been more about the shift to technically-minded managers who don't even necessarily need to have been players at all. would like to think that the player-manager model is a thing of the past really.

Mea culpa, sadly.

I think those shifts are often post-rationalised, and Chairmen don't like to buck the trend. Young, old, ex-pro, player-manager, i'm surprised there hasn't been a rash of ex-interpreters. I agree that the current model to technically-minded, limited nor no career managers, seems to make most sense*, but all it will take is for one club to have a modicum of success with a player-manager, and the cycle will start again

* so, obviously, I'm as much a zeitgeist trend follower as current club owners.....

Nowhere near his best season. He was really below par for the first half of the season, which could be a result of the Euros and this new training regime we've got him on.

Hard to tell what kind of manager anyone will be on the basis of how he played. Inclined to agree with stevie h, though. Age of the player-manager is dead. Would like to see him retained, mind. Let him and Carragher be coaches at the club, send them out to other clubs to soak up other cultures. Let them develop. No need to rush them.

Edited by schmuckdonald