By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Sky+

Tommok

Anyone know if I can transfer programmes recorded on my Sky+ box to another device?

Getting an HD box but don't want to lose the programmes on my old box if possible.

Cheers

I used to connect mine to a DVD player that had a built in HD. Can't remember the exact setup, but it wasn't difficult. You use the Copy function. You have to play the recorded program to do it so it is time consuming though.

Edited by DanielS

You have to play the recorded program to do it so it is time consuming though.

Thanks.

That rules out doing it for me then

Sky told me it couldn't be done, so it almost certainly can

Ha!

They're hopeless/misleading about everything.

That reminds me, I assume with sky hd, like sky+, you don't actually have to have a working phone line for everything other than box office or the games to work, despite sky insisting you do?

Thanks.

That rules out doing it for me then

Ha!

They're hopeless/misleading about everything.

That reminds me, I assume with sky hd, like sky+, you don't actually have to have a working phone line for everything other than box office or the games to work, despite sky insisting you do?

you need the phone line to access sky anytime plus. which is worth doing in my opinion

You can transfer stuff off the box, but not the in the same way you copy files on a computer. It has to go through what they call the 'analogue hole' - in other words it's not an exact copy as it undergoes a conversion from digital to analog and back to digital again if you're using DVD or hard disc recorder. Nowadays this is less of an issue with DVD recorders and hard disc recorders offering good quality as opposed to the generation loss you'd get with dubbing old VHS cassettes. With that said, it's time consuming as DanielS points out. You'd be better off just torrenting the stuff you want to keep. Less hassle and likely better quality than you'd manage yourself. Pretty much everything broadcast is available if you look in the right places.

The telephone line thing was originally brought in to stop you getting multiroom and giving the spare box to a friend. I presume this is still the number one reason they insist on it.

you need the phone line to access sky anytime plus. which is worth doing in my opinion

The on demand stuff? Pretty sure that comes through the ethernet connection to your router not the phone line, no?

You can transfer stuff off the box, but not the in the same way you copy files on a computer. It has to go through what they call the 'analogue hole' - in other words it's not an exact copy as it undergoes a conversion from digital to analog and back to digital again if you're using DVD or hard disc recorder. Nowadays this is less of an issue with DVD recorders and hard disc recorders offering good quality as opposed to the generation loss you'd get with dubbing old VHS cassettes. With that said, it's time consuming as DanielS points out. You'd be better off just torrenting the stuff you want to keep. Less hassle and likely better quality than you'd manage yourself. Pretty much everything broadcast is available if you look in the right places.

The telephone line thing was originally brought in to stop you getting multiroom and giving the spare box to a friend. I presume this is still the number one reason they insist on it.

Thanks.

Yes I agree about the phone line

The on demand stuff? Pretty sure that comes through the ethernet connection to your router not the phone line, no?

Not if you want to download from it, I dont think.

I maybe wrong and cant check as I dont have Sky anymore

Speaking as someone without a telephone connection, On Demand is rubbish on Sky. You have to download everything and it takes ages.

you can watch something while its downloading though

and the film and tv selection is pretty good

you can watch something while its downloading though

and the film and tv selection is pretty good

BT Vision was ridiclously better, and the Virgin offering looks good when I've seen it at other people's places.

Sky's feels like something from the dial-up era.

BT Vision was ridiclously better, and the Virgin offering looks good when I've seen it at other people's places.

The whole + thing was revolutionary, but the way that programmes are stored and presented on the planner pages is like you say, not far off ceefax. Surprised no one has hacked it like Apple tv.

Ive got Virgin and I think its pretty poor in comparison

Never had BT Vision so cant comment

On Demand is something Sky have got badly wrong. Compared with Netflix etc it's miles behind in terms of layout and performance.

It's surprising really because most of the innovative Sky products work very well.

Yeah, I really like the rest of it but I'm almost annoyed how rubbish the on demand stuff is.

Yeah, I really like the rest of it but I'm almost annoyed how rubbish the on demand stuff is.

I don't really have a big problem with the on demand stuff, Ive got 60mb broadband and I can usually start watching a HD film a few minutes after its started downloading. Its not the most well designed interface but at least its reasonably consistent and my five year old can find her way around it. The catchup stuff is great as well, iPlayer has HD versions for most of its programmes.

Ive got a big problem with the Sky Store stuff though, Id be tempted to use but I havent had a phone line connected since I had it installed. It really is daft that they still rely on it for purchases now that they have so much content coming over ethernet.

I don't really have a big problem with the on demand stuff, Ive got 60mb broadband and I can usually start watching a HD film a few minutes after its started downloading. Its not the most well designed interface but at least its reasonably consistent and my five year old can find her way around it. The catchup stuff is great as well, iPlayer has HD versions for most of its programmes.

The internet connection where we are is nowhere near that, I tried to watch a HD version of Silent Witness and 2% had downloaded overnight.

I don't understand why we'd have to wait at all though.

Got the hd box installed this morning, the engineer didn't even ask about the phone line and it all seems to work OK although admittedly I've not tried on demand or hooked it up to the router to access the full online on demand stuff yet.

Got the hd box installed this morning, the engineer didn't even ask about the phone line and it all seems to work OK although admittedly I've not tried on demand or hooked it up to the router to access the full online on demand stuff yet.

Its fairly simple to set up but they don't explain it well. Activate on demand on your sky account, then enable the broadband connection in your box settings and plug in the ethernet cable. Once you have your box hooked up to the network try out the Sky+ app as a remote, its brilliant when it works.

The anytime stuff isn't dependent on having an internet connection but you probably already knew that.

Edited by Moose

Set it all up, was pretty easy except sky don't tell you to switch broadband option on in a hidden menu in options.

Can't see what you'd need a phone line for, it's all working without. Maybe the box office stuff?

To be honest, there's not a huge amount of stuff in the anytime plus section I'd want to watch but there's a few decent bits and pieces and much more than in the anytime section on the sky+ box.

Picture quality is generally brilliant and I'm finally getting the most out of my tv (Sony 40hx853)