Sign in to follow this  
David Hodgson

Big squad overhaul likely this summer ?

So Aspas and Toure aren't upgrades? Coutinho not likely to be better than he was last year? We now have cover at LB too

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I think it's better than some are saying.

clutching at straws a bit there Kahnee. we've finished a mile behind the CL places the last few seasons. last year we were in the running for nothing. i dont think the signings of Toure and Aspas are going to be the catalyst that will springboard us back in to challenging for honours or getting into the top 4, and i cant believe anyone actually does think that either.

Yeah but we don't have a marquee signing do we? bleh.gif

:D

Oh the humanity

clutching at straws a bit there Kahnee. we've finished a mile behind the CL places the last few seasons. last year we were in the running for nothing. i dont think the signings of Toure and Aspas are going to be the catalyst that will springboard us back in to challenging for honours or getting into the top 4, and i cant believe anyone actually does think that either.

I think the fact the players have had a season to get used to Rodgers style of play, plus Coutinho growing and improving as a player, will be a bigger boost than people think.

We also drew a lot of games that we could have won. Turn those points into three and it's a different picture.

I'm not saying things are perfect, but I don't think we're doomed and I'm fairly certain our owners aren't happy with a balance sheet over results

Aspas over Downing? All to prove

Toure over Carra? Marginal

Coutinho was already here

Cover LB is improving the squad

Again, i think the squad is better but the first team improvement is marginal

Coutinho and Sturridge is a major improvement on much of last season, on top of these.

As is Rodgers having had his bedding in season now and the squad being more drilled into his methods.

Frankly, I expect an improvement in the league similar to what we saw from Rafa's first and second league seasons based on the above alone. The changes made aren't too different in scope.

=====

That is one thing. Besides that, we really should be building even more on top of the expected improvements we have already, given that we Rodgers is starting from further behind than Rafa did and the competition now is stronger.

FSG might feel that the like of Lamela are overpriced but stark reality is we finished well off the pace for the CL places and the improvement is marginal at most. They might be forced to abandon their principles knowing that they'll have an increasingly disgruntled and suspicious fanbase given last years fiasco and the pressure that comes with our rivals such as spurs really splashing the cash. I just hope they don't back themselves into a corner where they spend 30m on a 15m player like in Carroll but rather they spend 30m on a 25m player in the like of Lamela. FSG don't seem to grasp the concept that a player is worth what you need to pay to get them.

Edited by Moe Szyslak

Coutinho and Sturridge is a major improvement on much of last season, on top of these.

Coutinho and Sturridge were already here.

The issue in hand, is about transfer improvements to the first team. I think its marginal

Is the overall squad better. Without doubt.

Coutinho and Sturridge were already here.

Not in the first half of the season - where we lost a lot of ground.

Don't under-estimate the benefit of them having bedded in

FSG might feel that the like of Lamela are overpriced but stark reality is we finished well off the pace for the CL places and the improvement is marginal at most. They might be forced to abandon their principles knowing that they'll have an increasingly disgruntled and suspicious fanbase given last years fiasco and the pressure that comes with our rivals such as spurs really splashing the cash. I just hope they don't back themselves into a corner where they spend 30m on a 15m player like in Carroll but rather they spend 30m on a 25m player in the like of Lamela. FSG don't seem to grasp the concept that a player is worth what you need to pay to get them.

The club have been struggling to grasp the concepts and oddities of the transfer market for 20 years, it's nothing new, this current set up is no different so far, but we need it to be.

I wouldn't put a lot of money on another forward. Someone like Kone at Everton. Just someone with pace and movement and a goal threat who can play when Sturridge can't, who can lead the line.

Or Bruno Mendes if you like.

We also drew a lot of games that we could have won. Turn those points into three and it's a different picture.

The manager has come out (after we signed Aspas etc.) and said that he thinks we need 20 more goals, and a player to help us get those.

The fact we haven't got someone the manager has identified as needed is the worrying thing.

So Aspas and Toure aren't upgrades? Coutinho not likely to be better than he was last year? We now have cover at LB too

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I think it's better than some are saying.

Early days and all, but hopefully Toure will do as good a job as Jamie last year.

I don't think Aspas is a regular starter, he's a useful squad option.

And yes hopefully Coutinho will continue his steep upward curve, but whether he does or not has no bearing on what we've done to improve the other positions.

Edited by Heighway 61 Revisited

The manager has come out (after we signed Aspas etc.) and said that he thinks we need 20 more goals, and a player to help us get those.

The fact we haven't got someone the manager has identified as needed is the worrying thing.

I'll agree there - but, while it doesn't look promising, there is still time

:D/>

Oh the humanity

I think the fact the players have had a season to get used to Rodgers style of play, plus Coutinho growing and improving as a player, will be a bigger boost than people think.

I'm not saying things are perfect, but I don't think we're doomed and I'm fairly certain our owners aren't happy with a balance sheet over results

Every team in the league can make the same claims you have there

I'll agree there - but, while it doesn't look promising, there is still time

It's a concern, no doubt about that. It will remain a concern until we land someone of the calibre we are trying to bring in, and intensifies every time we miss out on a target. The fact we've gone from HM to Costa to Willian, shows there are more than one of this type of player out there, and so at the moment I'm OK with us making sure we get the right deal for the club. If we think we can find quality elsewhere, rather than get involved in auctions, then let's see who's next on the list.

The current squad is challenging for sixth place, we're behind both Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs. Everton are an unknown quantity next year, but we should be passing them. We need more quality, if we're going to get near them.

It's a concern, no doubt about that. It will remain a concern until we land someone of the calibre we are trying to bring in, and intensifies every time we miss out on a target. The fact we've gone from HM to Costa to Willian, shows there are more than one of this type of player out there, and so at the moment I'm OK with us making sure we get the right deal for the club. If we think we can find quality elsewhere, rather than get involved in auctions, then let's see who's next on the list.

Willian was just opportunistic wasn't it? Was he a target before hand?

The club have been struggling to grasp the concepts and oddities of the transfer market for 20 years, it's nothing new, this current set up is no different so far, but we need it to be.

i think there's been a difference in terms of the quality of the player we've consistently gone after. which is important in itself. getting deals done is only a bottom line if there's sense in the scouting. and no panic or rashness in looking at 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th choices. and to me it looks like there is more of all that now. clearly essential that we pull off as many of these deals as we can. but i much see us fail occasionally or even regularly to secure one really good player, than see some of the more variable squad filling, money splurging exercises of previous years.

Apart from the ones who changed their manager in the Summer of course. Never mind the fact not everyone has a Coutinho.

Good for them. I'm focused on us though.

Some of our rivals haven't strengthened at all, though, while others have changed managers. That helps us a smidge

The form of the squad from January onwards was not far off being 4th placed form. The wonderance being, was it because the pressure was off.

We conceded goals in 2's too often. Hopefully we improve on that.

As was said in the Summer, the games at the start of this season resemble the games that we finished off last season with i.e. mid-table teams. There should be enough in squad to keep us near 4th until the tough games kick in and we will then see what the squad has to offer.

Willian was just opportunistic wasn't it? Was he a target before hand?

Either way it's still evidence that there's more than one 15-20 goal forward in the World.Infact is he even such a player ?

Edited by Davvo

The form of the squad from January onwards was not far off being 4th placed form. The wonderance being, was it because the pressure was off.

We conceded goals in 2's too often. Hopefully we improve on that.

As was said in the Summer, the games at the start of this season resemble the games that we finished off last season with i.e. mid-table teams. There should be enough in squad to keep us near 4th until the tough games kick in and we will then see what the squad has to offer.

Our form was sixth best wasn't it?

Either way it's still evidence that there's more than one 15-20 goal forward in the World.Infact is he even such a player ?

Of course there is, there's plenty. The problem is obtaining them, when they become available.

it does happen.

Everton were nearly relegated in 2004. they sell Rooney and a year later they're top 4.

it does happen.

Everton were nearly relegated in 2004. they sell Rooney and a year later they're top 4.

Hardly a plan though is it?