By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Buy a House in Liverpool for £1.00

Buzz

How do you legislate that?

What happens if they pay their £1, live in the house for 3 years and do f*ck all to it?

Yeah, thats the bit that I was wondering about. I can see it being exploited by dodgey landlords, but there is always that chance that it could help a young couple get a start in housing. I don't envy youngsters trying to get into the property market.

The geordie fella on Channel 4 did a program where a couple in Liverpool got the chance to do something like this a little while ago, dunno about Newcastle itself doing it. They got a house that was in a right state and did it up and got to live in it, don't think they owned it though.

How do you legislate that?

What happens if they pay their £1, live in the house for 3 years and do f*ck all to it?

the houses are not habitable though

Yeah, thats the bit that I was wondering about. I can see it being exploited by dodgey landlords, but there is always that chance that it could help a young couple get a start in housing. I don't envy youngsters trying to get into the property market.

The geordie fella on Channel 4 did a program where a couple in Liverpool got the chance to do something like this a little while ago, dunno about Newcastle itself doing it. They got a house that was in a right state and did it up and got to live in it, don't think they owned it though.

total fantasy

It's worth a try. The idea is it's for residents of the area who are concerned for and what to build and maintain the community there are the primary targets. It's a simple premise that if you give someone ownership and responsibilty for their efforts they will not feel disenfranchised. As a result the ghetto dimishes and the community values grow.

Might work.

I think they have admitted that they are relying on a certain amount of good will

But its either that or leave them all like they are. Its a relatively small scale trial I think.

Plus you have to apply, its not just first to throw in a quid

It's worth a try. The idea is it's for residents of the area who are concerned for and what to build and maintain the community there are the primary targets. It's a simple premise that if you give someone ownership and responsibilty for their efforts they will not feel disenfranchised. As a result the ghetto dimishes and the community values grow.

Might work.

I think it's a very promising idea, I'm all for making use of deserted properties like this.

I'd be more comnfortable with the relevant Housing Authorities doing something about it, but this scheme definitely has promise.

Ex-footballer Phil Thompson...grew up here

Is that right? Had he moved by the time Mr. Shankly gave him the nod?

if only

you won't be able to let these homes until the work is done as nobody would live in them...plus you get done by environmental health

and obviously the purchase deal will include a covenant to refurbish so the house gets took off you if you don't comply