Jump to content
By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The six kiddies that died in a house fire..


Recommended Posts

Beggars belief... :angry:


Mick Philpott planned to frame ex-girlfriend for fire, court told

A jury has heard that a fire that killed six children was started deliberately by their father in a bid to frame his former lover



A jury heard that Philpott began to 'set up' Willis by complaining to police that she was threatening him, his wife and the children. Photograph: Rui Vieira/PA

A house fire that killed six children was started deliberately by their father as part of a plot to frame his ex-girlfriend, a jury has heard.


Mick Philpott was facing a custody battle with his former lover, Lisa Willis, who had ended their relationship months earlier. A jury at Nottingham crown court heard that Philpott began to "set up" Willis by complaining to police that she was threatening him, his wife and the children.


Philpott, 56, his wife Mairead, 31, and Paul Mosley, 46, all denied six separate counts of manslaughter in relation to the deaths.


Mick and Mairead Philpott's children – Jade, 10, and her brothers Duwayne, 13, John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six, and Jayden, five – died in the fire, on 11 May last year in the semi-detached house in Allenton, Derby, where the couple lived.


Willis, 28, had also lived at the property but left in February 2012 after becoming fed up with the living arrangements.


Opening the prosecution case, Richard Latham QC branded Philpott a "very controlling and very manipulative" man who was determined to punish Willis for leaving him.


The jury was played a 999 call from the night of the blaze made by the couple as the children were trapped inside. Philpott tried to leave the dock, saying, "I can't listen to it" before being made to sit down by court security guards. He sobbed as the eight-minute recording was played.


The jury were told on Tuesday that the third defendant, Mosley, said to a friend who asked him if the Philpotts were behind the fire: "What if I told you we actually rehearsed it six weeks prior to it happening?"


He told a friend that a plan was set for him to rescue the children from the blaze, the court heard. Mosley said he was to kick the back door in while the Philpotts ran out of the front of the house, and he was then to go upstairs to save the children, Latham told the court.


A total of 11 children lived in the house. Six were the offspring of Mick and Mairead Philpott, while four were his children with Willis. Another child was Willis's, who she had had with another man.


Latham said the fire was started in the early hours of the morning on the day Willis and Philpott were due in court to discuss the residency of the children.


In February 2012 Willis left Philpott and took her children with her. He began making complaints to the police, Latham told the jury: "By 1 May, Mick Philpott was reporting to the police that Lisa Willis had made telephone threats to kill him. The police visited him. He was at times highly emotional and made it clear that he wanted Lisa arrested.


"If she had been, this would have assisted him in the court proceedings, wouldn't it?"


Latham added: "It became apparent to him that Lisa was going to do what she wanted and not what he required or demanded. He began to set her up. We say that this was a plan that went horribly wrong and resulted in total tragedy." He told the court that Willis denies threatening to set fire to the house.


The court heard how, on the night of the fire, neighbours tried to rescue the children from the burning house but were beaten back by the smoke and flames. When the bodies of the children were carried out of the house by police, Philpott ran forward and had to be restrained, Latham said.


"It must have been quite clear the plan had gone horribly wrong."


Philpott was heard telling people that Willis had threatened to kill them or to set fire to the house. Police reported his behaviour following the fire as "unusual". One constable said Philpott showed "no emotion" and acted as if at a social event.


At the hospital, onlookers said he was looking "spotlessly clean" for someone who had been in a house fire, Latham said. His wife was seen to be distraught and constantly crying at the hospital. Philpott was overheard at the hospital saying: "It wasn't meant to end like this."


Philpott first met Willis when she was 17, and she moved into the house soon afterwards. While Willis and her children were living at the three-bedroom council house in Victory Road, most of the children normally slept upstairs, while Mairead Philpott slept in either the living room or the conservatory.


Her husband slept in a caravan outside with Willis.


The adults had a sexual relationship but Philpott often said he was unhappy with his wife, jurors heard. He said he wanted to divorce her and marry Willis while still wishing for all three of them to live in the house together. "Mairead was Lisa's lapdog, Lisa was who he wanted," Latham told the court.


Willis became unhappy with the relationship, Latham said, but did not express her feelings to Philpott because she was worried about his reaction. He had in the past attacked her with a piece of wood.


"Michael Philpott was convinced she was having an affair with everyone," Mr Latham said. "She was not allowed to speak to another man."


Latham told the jury that Philpott become depressed and even tried to take his own life after Willis left.


When Willis returned to the house with a friend on 14 February to collect clothes for her and the children, she was challenged by Philpott. "There was an incident on the doorstep, Philpott manifesting huge aggression, and the police were called," Latham said. "What she had done challenged the very core of his attitude to his family and his women."


During the eight-minute 999 call, made from Philpott's mobile phone at 3.46am on 11 May, the distress and panic could be heard when both Philpott and his wife talked to the operator. He could be heard crying and saying: "I can't get in."


His wife put her hand up to her eyes and wiped away tears as the recording was played.


The trial continues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...