By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Dresden

£440,000

John Am Rhein might enjoy the AJP Taylor reference.

so he mentioned AJP Taylor in relation to a controversy on how many people died in this particular bombing raid - he reckons 25,000 is a gross under-estimate

More here: BBC - Up to 25,000 died in Dresden's WWII bombing - report

I always think there's a huge amount of disingenuity here (probably not from this particular veteran, TBF) - whether 25,000 died or 250,000 died or some number in between, every of of those individual people was every bit as dead regardless of the overall numbers - same applies to those dead in Coventry, Liverpool, London, etc. or, for that matter, Hamburg, Frankfurt, etc. even if those dead in Britain where in a completely different order of magntide - more due to relative ability to inflict damage rather than the actual will to do so

Interesting positive comment on the Bomber Harris at 2:58:50 followed by worthy contempt for Winston Churchill

Here's the same feller on video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21433759

so he mentioned AJP Taylor in relation to a controversy on how many people died in this particular bombing raid - he reckons 25,000 is a gross under-estimate

More here: BBC - Up to 25,000 died in Dresden's WWII bombing - report

I always think there's a huge amount of disingenuity here (probably not from this particular veteran, TBF) - whether 25,000 died or 250,000 died or some number in between, every of of those individual people was every bit as dead regardless of the overall numbers - same applies to those dead in Coventry, Liverpool, London, etc. or, for that matter, Hamburg, Frankfurt, etc. even if those dead in Britain where in a completely different order of magntide - more due to relative ability to inflict damage rather than the actual will to do so

Interesting positive comment on the Bomber Harris at 2:58:50 followed by worthy contempt for Winston Churchill

Here's the same feller on video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21433759

Thanks for the video link. Will watch it. I enjoyed the Churchill comment.

I agree about the number of dead. Whatever it was, one is too many. I think it showed his general discontent with how Dresden has been remembered though.