By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Wrongly Minted Coins

libero

I know there was someone on here who was an "expert" on things like antiques etc etc.

While rummaging around in my pocket this morning for change I noticed a rag on one of the coins, on closer inspection its a wrongly minted 1p coin481299_2687096031905_637507043_n.jpg

So,is it worth anything??

First person that says 1p has to give me Cobs fiver.

Is it worth the hassle trying to sell it or is it better just going in my copper jar??

I know there was someone on here who was an "expert" on things like antiques etc etc.

While rummaging around in my pocket this morning for change I noticed a rag on one of the coins, on closer inspection its a wrongly minted 1p coin481299_2687096031905_637507043_n.jpg

So,is it worth anything??

First person that says 1p has to give me Cobs fiver.

Is it worth the hassle trying to sell it or is it better just going in my copper jar??

just wait for Earl H to appear

he's not an 'expert'

he's literally an EXPERT

you're a scot right?

Your point is??

Just curious thats all, if its worth hee haw it goes in the copper jar with the other slush out my pocket.

Some people who collect coins might want it and have more need for it than me.

I am not going to go all Bilbo Baggins/Gollum with it :bleh:

just wait for Earl H to appear

he's not an 'expert'

he's literally an EXPERT

Yeah, wasn't sure if it was another dig but the coin is worth it'sa face value, maybe a touch more to a complete anorak. There are so many of these minted that error coins are common and enter circulation - i've had a 10p with two obverses. The scarcer / high value / less circulated the coin the better.

You can make a bit of money if you know your sovereigns or pre war coins.

The mythical penny : My link

I've got bags full of Victorian/pre-war coins of varying quality. Had a quick look on ebay and it didn't seem like they were worth anything, are you saying I'm wrong?

Could be. There are different dies. Sometimes a letter is reversed, or a 1 used for an I in Victoria. Doesn't have to be silver either, although it's generally the Victorian era where the variations occur in copper

Edited by Earl Hafler

I've got bags full of Victorian/pre-war coins of varying quality. Had a quick look on ebay and it didn't seem like they were worth anything, are you saying I'm wrong?

Any shillings, half crowns etc - pre-47 coins had some silver in them. So check the dates as silver content dropped over time but the silver will be worth something, even if the coins are not. "Silver" coins got their name for a reason: they used to be (very close to) pure silver

Edited by Tosh

Hopefully there's some reason why my nan hoarded hundreds of the things.

What's the earliest coin ?

Tosh is on the right lines, but you shouldn't be just scrapping them. This is a problem with many auction houses where they just bundle the coins together with little concern. £100 for a bag of coins might sound nice when the vendor didn't know any better but not when one was an Edwardian half crown worth several hundred or more.

Same for the pre war Irish coins