By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Christmas Baking

Nebraska Red

I have retreated to the basement with the dog and the cats. My wife is doing some baking for the holiday season. She does it now to get it out of the way and it allows her to distribute many of the baked items to friends and neighbors.

Tonight, she decided to get the kids involved, 2 boys aged 15 and 12, and it is not going well. Their "help" appears to result in screams and shouts, and quite a few "bloody hells".

I am pretty sure the oldest kid is pissing her off in the hope of being sent back to the computer to get on with his homework, the 12 year old appears to be just acting like a d****ead for the hell of it.

I think I'll go and watch some Tv with my noise cancelling headphones firmly in place.

I have retreated to the basement with the dog and the cats. My wife is doing some baking for the holiday season. She does it now to get it out of the way and it allows her to distribute many of the baked items to friends and neighbors.

Tonight, she decided to get the kids involved, 2 boys aged 15 and 12, and it is not going well. Their "help" appears to result in screams and shouts, and quite a few "bloody hells".

I am pretty sure the oldest kid is pissing her off in the hope of being sent back to the computer to get on with his homework, the 12 year old appears to be just acting like a d****ead for the hell of it.

I think I'll go and watch some Tv with my noise cancelling headphones firmly in place.

You could help?????

Christmas Eve is "bake off" at ours. Mulled Wine, Jamesons, G&T's, you name it. Biscuits made by kids, adults ... Great fun. All inclusive. No swearing, some sore heads on Xmas Day, but Xmas Eve is always better anyway.

I always make a honey roast ham/gammon on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day tea and Boxing Day. Mulled wine on, coffee machine on, wine open, other drinks ready if required, its great! Thing is, people used to pick at the ham so there was never much left for Christmas or Boxing Day, so now I buy a bigger joint and we have it with chip shop chips for Christmas Eve tea! Still enough left for Christmas day tea too! :)

I always make a honey roast ham/gammon on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day tea and Boxing Day. Mulled wine on, coffee machine on, wine open, other drinks ready if required, its great! Thing is, people used to pick at the ham so there was never much left for Christmas or Boxing Day, so now I buy a bigger joint and we have it with chip shop chips for Christmas Eve tea! Still enough left for Christmas day tea too! :)

I'm going to have a go at a ham this year. Do you have a preferred recipe ?

I've heard that's good, but I don't trust it. Instinctively wary of coca cola near meat, but then it's basically just a syrup when it boils down right ?

Doesn't really boil down to a syrup - it's much the same as boiling it in sugary water.

It is nice though.

Boil it in cider, be prepared to top up and skim off. You can use a water cider mix add only cider not water.

Do this for a few hours take out and pat dry cut into the fat on the top insert cloves, get some honey some mustard and some of the cider from the boiling. Mix together to taste and then cover the ham with it before putting in the oven baste regularly

I roast mine in a combination of cranberry jelly, muscovado sugar, and some winter spices - studding with cloves, obviously.

There are plenty of recipes around. I boil it first in a light veg stock, onion, leek, carrott, bouquet garni. Use this for soup later. Fantastic.

I roast mine in a combination of cranberry jelly, muscovado sugar, and some winter spices - studding with cloves, obviously.

There are plenty of recipes around. I boil it first in a light veg stock, onion, leek, carrott, bouquet garni. Use this for soup later. Fantastic.

I bet you have five tins of beans in the cupboard marked Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. At the weekend, you have those tins of beans with sausages in them for a special treat.

I bet you have five tins of beans in the cupboard marked Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. At the weekend, you have those tins of beans with sausages in them for a special treat.

I used to like those ones with the sausages in but I'd add butter as well.

Yep. Cannellini, Pinto, Borlotti, Black-eyed peas, Butter beans.

With artisan saucisses de Tolouse on saturday.

Magnifique.

Boil the pork for 5 mins, then empty out the water, replace with fresh water and bring back to the boil. Add 2 to 4 bay leaves, 4 -6 sage leaves and a sprig or two of rosemary (all fresh if possible) and a few black pepper corns and then boil it properly until about 3 quarters or fully cooked (depending how many visitors we have, how much I have had to drink etc - well it is christmas eve ;) ). For the glaze I mix some old english mustard, whole grain mustard and a little bit of honey together and smear it all over the ham. Then press brown sugar all over the top of all that and finish it off until cooked in the oven.

Now, I haven't mentioned any temperatures or timings because I can't remember them and they also depend on how big your ham\gammon is. if you look for a general recipe for honey roast ham it will tell you those.

I marinade and cook Pork in Cider with Juniper Berries, the liquid makes a lovely gravy for the dinner too.

I use Apple juice when doing a Pulled Pork.

Not done Pork in Coke yet, but several friends have and reckon it's ace.

You t***. I always make a proper roast ham thing at Christmas as well and thought of that with a big pile of chippy chips has just got my taste buds going big style. Not a bad thing in the general scheme of things but as I am not going to be eating for about another three hours I'm not happy.

You t***. I always make a proper roast ham thing at Christmas as well and thought of that with a big pile of chippy chips has just got my taste buds going big style. Not a bad thing in the general scheme of things but as I am not going to be eating for about another three hours I'm not happy.

Late supper? Weird diet? No kids forcing you to eat at 6? Tardy delivery boy?

My Mrs bakes and sells cakes as a P/T job.............I hate this time of year, the kitchen is a no go, there are cakes everywhere and to top it off she has this huge wedding cake she is constructimg, s*** scared to fart in the kitchen in case it falls apart

That was my mum when I was a kid. She used to make these big fruit cakes with marzipan amd thick iced snow scenes on top. She used to swap them for other christmas stuff with friends and family.

Sorry about the hunger pans charlie....

Well we are about to make our own Christmas pudding. We used our last shop bought pudding last year, the local stores do not stock them and I refuse to pay the ridiculous online shipping charges.

I have everything bar the suet which I will pick up tonight or tomorrow.

Hopefully, this will be a success.