By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Survival tips for christmas

SkippyjonJones

OK - since I've been in the States I've only spent one xmas that didn't involve just the wife and kids (and me obviously). That one was a 5 day trip to Florida when my parents spent a month there (as they do tend to go somewhere warm every christmas for a month). It was survived because I was sick (night nurse and wine delivers a nice punch!) and we could go out to places.

Well this year they are also going somewhere warm - to visit me in Florida for a month!

Now its great that I see them - love them dearly - and that my kids will spend a lot of time with their grandparents.

However - a month? I fear that its flashback time as to why I left home at 18.

My parents are very good at blaming the UK's woes on everyone else. The immigrants are a prime target (they see no irony in their parents / grandparents not being born in Britain). The jews are another one. and the blacks. and the arabs.

I have got away from that and am especially aware of the blame the immigrant attitude as I am one!!

Oh and they'll probably have a few nights where they drink and spread the blame for the family strife on everyone.

Unfortunatley the office is shut for a quite a big chunk of xmas so I can't escape there. Oh and my dad detests christmas. Even calling it winterval isn't gonna help there....

so - anyone got any survival tips or should I just start digging "for the new patio" right now?

Can you arrange for one their neighbours to ring up advising that there has been some odd stuff going on at their house/in their neighbourhood so you can then volunteer to nip bck to check it out for them to save them having to ruin their break. Should be good for about a 5 day absence.

Can you arrange for one their neighbours to ring up advising that there has been some odd stuff going on at their house/in their neighbourhood so you can then volunteer to nip bck to check it out for them to save them having to ruin their break. Should be good for about a 5 day absence.

the $1,000 airfare is a bit of a stumbling block to that plan... I like the way you are thinking though..

my tip: avoid at all costs getting into the situation described above

thanks I did. Worked for years but it looks like I've been rumbled....

as ever, the key is to turn a negative in to a positive with a quick counter-attack, as you scuttle down to the hardware store and buy all the kit you need to install hidden audiovisual recording equipment all over the house

you'll end up with a month's worth of footage that could then be edited and at the very least be shown on here for our amusement

but who knows, if things really escalate you might have a reality tv show on your hands

Introduce them to your neighbors who will be delighted to spend some time with the British visitors. Arrange for these neighbors to take them out to places like malls, craft fairs, movies, free concerts, art shows etc.

At best you will see them every other day and most meal times.

It's what we do every time the two mothers come over for their 4 week stays. The neighbors haven't yet realised how they are being played.

My parents are very good at blaming the UK's woes on everyone else. The immigrants are a prime target (they see no irony in their parents / grandparents not being born in Britain). The jews are another one. and the blacks. and the arabs.

I have got away from that

Have you?

Have you really?

:macca3:

Leave the kids with them all the time and go out with the mrs. Once outside you can go your seperate ways if you want, but generally you and yer mrs should use this as an opportunity for a month of freedom. If yer parents start mentioning they havent seen much of you, just say how much the kids are loving it and that they will be going home soon......

Invite your black, jewish and hispanic friends round.

Might as well have a laugh and if it gets out of hand someone else will kill them for you.

I'll take them to work. I'm definatley in the minority there.

maybe to one of the inclusion meetings. that'd be fun.

Have you thought about going to England to visit your parents at this time

We costed it out with the idea of the 4 of us going for 10 days over Christmas. Flights alone were close to $2000, add in a rental car, petrol money and other expenses and we were looking at close to $10000 in total.

It would cost us $2300 to fly over both in laws.

We costed it out with the idea of the 4 of us going for 10 days over Christmas. Flights alone were close to $2000, add in a rental car, petrol money and other expenses and we were looking at close to $10000 in total.

Skype is free!

I meant if they're in Florida and you're in the UK problem solved. What are you spending $8000 dollars on though if the flights are 2?

I meant if they're in Florida and you're in the UK problem solved. What are you spending $8000 dollars on though if the flights are 2?

the $2,000 has be to a mistype.

From here flights to the UK that tie in with the kids time off school is just over $1,000 each.

add car hire etc and you've spent over $5K before you've left the airport in The UK,...

the $2,000 has be to a mistype.

From here flights to the UK that tie in with the kids time off school is just over $1,000 each.

add car hire etc and you've spent over $5K before you've left the airport in The UK,...

From Omaha to Manchester, with only 1 stop either way, the flights are just under $2000 for the dates we would have to fly due to school and work. I can get cheaper but there were 2 or 3 stops at least and some were in Paris or Brussels. We have no direct flights from Omaha and decent connections are hard to come by on certain dates.

We were getting some serious grief from the 2 mothers and other family members to go over this year, once I informed them of the costs they quieted down a bit.