By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Diabetes

DPD1973

I was diagnosed in 1998, started off well controlled for a number of years then had an ambulance called in 2008 when i had a hypo, since then Ive been scared s***less to keep by blood sugar low over night and am often 15 or plus next morning. Anyone on here diabetic or know someone who is?

Edited by DPD1973

My dad is. Diabetes 2 that is, I am assuming that is what you refer to.

He completely changed his diet and started regular exercise. In a weird way, it's probably one of the best things that's happened to him in a long time. He is living well now, dropped a ton of weight, looking much more healthy, more energetic and in the past few years he's even gone off most of the regulatory medications because he's got the blood sugar levels so well controlled by now.

I partook in a medical experiment about non-diabetics with diabetes in the family and the propensity for inheriting it. Turns out, there is now actual traceable evidence of how genetic it is and I am one of those who have in fact inherited the propensity. Basically, if I don't stay healthy I will almost certainly be diabetic eventually myself.

My father-in-law has it and has been living with it for about 35 years now. He's done well to survive that long with it but as he is now well into his 80s, the effects of it have been showing for the last decade or so. His eyesight is very poor, and when he went into hospital about 18 months back for some unrelated treatment, they found that the site (on and around his abdomen) where he had been injecting for those 35 years was now so full of scar tissue that the medicine was not really getting through and he had effectively been living on partial dosages for a long time without realising it.

I'm the high end of normal when I have my bi-annual fasting blood tests although the last 1 was the lowest it has been so hopefully the risk of it receding. Really feel for anyone who has to live with it. My daughters best friend was diagnosed with type 2 when she was 3, watching her having to inject and be aware of her levels makes you realise how hard it can be living with it although its just normal for her now at 9.

Was reading today that a nasal spray is nearly ready to replace injecting, that must be a great boost for those affected.

I was diagnosed in 1998, started off well controlled for a number of years then had an ambulance called in 2008 when i had a hypo, since then Ive been scared s***less to keep by blood sugar low over night and am often 15 or plus next morning. Anyone on here diabetic or know someone who is?

Sure you know this but the bottom line is that your morning BMs are way too high and you're risking all the numerous complications of DM getting you earlier than they otherwise will.

What was your last HbA1c?

Think you should talk to your GP about this tbh - sounds like you might benefit from talking it through with someone.

I'm type 1 since 2007, juvenile my a*** I was 29! A bit different obviously but op definitely needs some advice as it sounds dangerous. Hypos are scary but you can manage the risk and severity of them. To be honest I've found most of the nhs advice to be pretty useless and totally obsessed with this hypo fear, which is counter productive, Eg always eat shed loads of carbs to avoid risk, ,means you take massive doses and any error is really serious and actually increases risk of a dangerous sudden one, as week as encouraging long term damage through the type of fearful approach you describe. Just cos you can't feel it doesn't mean its not f***ing you up!

Its obviously very extreme but to make one recommendation would be to read book by a Dr Bernstein on the subject, needs a pinch of salt with it but really useful, if scary in how dangerous it portrays the standard advice as being. A total shock to me at first, but have done OK for 5yrs our so. Tons f advice to offer if you're interested.

15 is way too high for a waking BG, god knows what your night time peak is with that sort of morning reading. You will be storing up loads of health problems in the future with that approach. What regime are you on? Mixed insulin or multiple daily injections? What's your HbA1c?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 two years ago when she was three. She was initially put on mixed insulin which was criminal for a child that age and made her (and our) life hell. We demanded she be put onto MDI which made her control much better but we realised that what would be best for her was an insulin pump. We had to move hospitals for that as the consulatant at her original hospital was about fifteen years behind current best practice and didn't do paediatric pumps, despite this being the NICE recommended treatment for children of her age. She's been on a pump now for six months and it has transformed her life.

With the pump we can set profiled basals to suit different insulin sensitivities at different times of the day and night. We can set different profiled boluses to deal with different foods such as slow absorbing pasta. We can accurately bolus down to 0.05 of a unit rather that 0.5 unit with injections. Set temporary basals for things like illness and exercise. If you put the work into it you can get very impressive control. Her HbA1c last time was 6.6.

Do you night test? My daughter, being so young, is almost completely hypo-unaware (though this is improving). We test twice a night at about 1am and 3.30am. Are you running so high that you are avoiding all hypos? My daughter probably has four or five a week though since she's been on the pump they are a lot "shallower" than they were, especially compared to when she was on the mixed insulin when she would crash rapidly to the point of unconciousness. Now one or two doses of glucose will usually bring her back to above 4 quickly. If we were to run her at a level which avoided all hypos she would be running generally much too high.

With the pump you can link it in to a continuous glucose monitor sensor which is inserted under the skin and talks to the pump by bluetooth. This provides a continuous graph of BG readings and the pump alarms when BG drops below or rises above set levels. It will also alarm when BG is rising or falling at at too high a rate so you can head off hypos or hypers.

This is the one she uses:

http://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/product-information/paradigm-veo/index.html

If you have a problem with night hypos maybe you could talk to your consultant about getting a pump and CGM.

My daughters best friend was diagnosed with type 2 when she was 3

That would be type 1.

Edited by Redwire

15 is way too high for a waking BG, god knows what your night time peak is with that sort of morning reading. You will be storing up loads of health problems in the future with that approach. What regime are you on? Mixed insulin or multiple daily injections? What's your HbA1c?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 two years ago when she was three. She was initially put on mixed insulin which was criminal for a child that age and made her (and our) life hell. We demanded she be put onto MDI which made her control much better but we realised that what would be best for her was an insulin pump. We had to move hospitals for that as the consulatant at her original hospital was about fifteen years behind current best practice and didn't do paediatric pumps, despite this being the NICE recommended treatment for children of her age. She's been on a pump now for six months and it has transformed her life.

With the pump we can set profiled basals to suit different insulin sensitivities at different times of the day and night. We can set different profiled boluses to deal with different foods such as slow absorbing pasta. We can accurately bolus down to 0.05 of a unit rather that 0.5 unit with injections. Set temporary basals for things like illness and exercise. If you put the work into it you can get very impressive control. Her HbA1c last time was 6.6.

Do you night test? My daughter, being so young, is almost completely hypo-unaware (though this is improving). We test twice a night at about 1am and 3.30am. Are you running so high that you are avoiding all hypos? My daughter probably has four or five a week though since she's been on the pump they are a lot "shallower" than they were, especially compared to when she was on the mixed insulin when she would crash rapidly to the point of unconciousness. Now one or two doses of glucose will usually bring her back to above 4 quickly. If we were to run her at a level which avoided all hypos she would be running generally much too high.

With the pump you can link it in to a continuous glucose monitor sensor which is inserted under the skin and talks to the pump by bluetooth. This provides a continuous graph of BG readings and the pump alarms when BG drops below or rises above set levels. It will also alarm when BG is rising or falling at at too high a rate so you can head off hypos or hypers.

This is the one she uses:

http://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/product-information/paradigm-veo/index.html

If you have a problem with night hypos maybe you could talk to your consultant about getting a pump and CGM.

That would be type 1.

Not according to her mother.