By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Holy land architecture

DanielS

Was very surprised by this Guardian article about some of the construction going on in Mecca. I'm no fan of any organised religion, but they do tend to do a good line in lovely looking old buildings and so finding out there is now a bloody great monstrosity looming over the haram Mosque is a bit depressing.

I don't want to come over all Prince Charles, but surely there should be some limits to the type of stuff you can throw up near an extremely sensitive cultural site?

Was very surprised by this Guardian article about some of the construction going on in Mecca. I'm no fan of any organised religion, but they do tend to do a good line in lovely looking old buildings and so finding out there is now a bloody great monstrosity looming over the haram Mosque is a bit depressing.

I don't want to come over all Prince Charles, but surely there should be some limits to the type of stuff you can throw up near an extremely sensitive cultural site?

they've been doing it for years, its shocking. Turfing out people from their homes at a weeks notice to build some glitzy hotel with inevitable shanty towns setting up on the edge of the city by those made homeless. Probably send the death squads in to clear those next.

That tower they've built is one of the ugliest buildings I've seen, hideous.

That's Makkah for you through the ages. Them people there like to make business. Cities like that are what they are, they create on top of themselves and lay waste to the past. That's why it's such a baffling place to be. What the Meccans do day to day between themselves and with that city is almost completely invisible to most of the millions there today, big clock and all. It's so irrelevant it's almost like some performance art project to be glanced at on the the way to learn the meaning of life.

The Saudis just like spending their money, is all it is at the end of the day. If they can let more in as a result of changes then that's their biggest duty.

When I went over there a few years ago it was what struck me most. I remember thinking this is the holiest place in the world for Muslims when you look at the Kabaa but when you go out there are these weird triangle shaped 5 star Hilton hotels and shopping complexes that tower over the grand mosque.

They have also got rid of loads of places of historical interest (different prophets homes or places of interest) to stop the shia and Sunni Muslims visiting them and treating them like shrines.

It's why a lot of the Muslims I know don't have a lot of time for the saudi's if it wasn't for the birthplace of the prophet and where the haram sharif was no one would ever want to go there.

Saw that yesterday. What with that and the article about the Italian seismologists being jailed for not predicting an earthquake, i thought someone had slipped a tab in my pint.

Crackers.