Phone Hacking

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it came out that they'd hacked into the phones of the family of Maddie McCann when that was in the news every day for a month.

Yeah, if thats what you are up to you'd be stupid not too

If you get what I mean

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Max Clifford is now on Sky News defending the honour of Rebekah Brooks, saying she wouldn't have known anything about this.

So there we have it, case closed.

It's being reported as "approved" rather than "known about"

Emergency Commons debate tommorrow:

"After John Bercow announced that the debate was going to go ahead, all the Labour MPs stood up. This does not normally happen in the Commons - MPs only stand up if they want to speak in a debate - but they were doing this because the standing orders say that MPs who want to support the decision to hold a S024 debate have to show that they do by standing up. If more than 40 MPs stand up, the debate goes ahead without the matter being put to a formal vote. From what I could see, all, or almost all, Labour MPs in the chamber stood up. (They had obviously been primed on the rules.) Most, but not all, MPs on the government benches remained seated. That might have been because they did not want the debate to go ahead. Or it might just have been because they did not know about the SO24 procedure."

Chris Bryant, who will move the motion tomorrow said in the House today:

"There cannot be a single person in the land who is not sickened by the news that a private investigator working for the News of the World hacked the mobile phone of the missing teenager Milly Dowler and deleted some of her messages, thereby leading the family to believe that she might still be alive.

That's not just a paper out of control, that's not just a paper believing it's above the law, it's a national newspaper playing god with a family's emotions. Those involved, those whose negligence allowed it to happen and those who covered it up should be truly ashamed. And the paper cannot pretend that this comes as a massive surprise to them - they actually ran a story directly referring to one of the messages in the News of the World.

This is not just about one incident, hideous as it is, it's about systematic criminality which has perverted police investigations and seriously damaged the reputation of British journalism and the Metropolitan Police. It is about the pattern of lies and half-truths told to parliament by the News of the World: that there was just one lone reporter, that no senior managers knew anything about all of this.

But what makes it really important and urgent is it's about the behaviour of the Metropolitan Police in who we put our trust. They had all this information in their hands in 2006 and yet they did nothing with it. Why have they lied time and time again to Parliament, saying that a full investigation had been done, saying that all the victims had been informed when self-evidently they hadn't been?

The only way we can get to the full truth and the heart of the cover-up is to have a public inquiry, led by a judge, in addition to the police investigation."

David Allen Green takes her apart:

The statement by Rebekah Brooks on phone hacking is fascinating reading and deserves to be read closely.

Dear All,

When I wrote to you last week updating you on a number of business issues I did not anticipate having to do so again so soon.

However, I wanted to address the company as a matter of urgency in light of the new claims against the News of the World.

We were all appalled and shocked when we heard about these allegations yesterday.

These are not new claims. They have been current in journalistic and media law circles for some time. For example they were mentioned in the recorded conversation between Hugh Grant and Paul McMullan, and they were put to John Yates by the Parliamentary Select Committee. It also appears from Nick Davies and Amelia Hill's report that the News of the World had already freely told the local police.

and so on

Full text here

Is her head still not on a pole?

She either an evil, despicable, lying cow who knew along or an incompetent, evil, despicable, lying cow who didn't know what her own staff were up to.

Either way, she's got to resign/be sacked and have her decapitated head stuck on a pole.

She hasnt been charged with anything, macca. It's still purely a matter of conscience and an internal disciplinary matter and there's fat chance of her being hung out to dry with all the sh*t she must have on those who matter. More likely to do her in or send her off on a long holiday than throw her in Holloway.

I hope their circulation suffers to the point that they never recover and have to close. Ford have pulled out of advertising in all News International publications, others are reviewing their position.

Peston was in DANGER of mmmmmmmmm EXPLODING there at the END of the mmmmmmmmm..................SIX o'clock NEWS

I hope their circulation suffers to the point that they never recover and have to close. Ford have pulled out of advertising in all News International publications, others are reviewing their position.

May many more follow in their wake!!!

Wasn't she the editor at the rag a few years back when they tried to "apologise" and tell us it was time we moved on? This attempt at renconciliation coincided with them serialising Rooney's autobiography if I remember - a clearly unconnected event.

Edited by le2red

Peston was in DANGER of mmmmmmmmm EXPLODING there at the END of the mmmmmmmmm..................SIX o'clock NEWS

He tweeted earlier that he was told by sources that this latest revelation isn't even the most shocking case of hacking the NOTW has conducted.

The mind boggles.

surely the burden of proof is on her to prove that she didn't AND COULDN'T have known (cover-up)? As the boss, you have to take the rough with the smooth, ignorance isn't a defence in the eyes of the law.

Not quite sure how she's supposed to prove a negative, but it seems clear she's doing all she can to deflect any responsibility from herself onto others, and is doing so in an incredibly crass and unpleasant manner as highlighted by David Allen Green. The 'role' / lack of action by the police is looking pretty damn shocking too.

Would be fantastic if there's a domino effect on this - Ford pulling out of advertising is a good start - hopefully others will follow and maybe even some of the people who buy those awful papers will follow suite...

C4 going with notw hacking a snr detective's phone while on a big murder case, and they have proof of brooks being told by the bizzies themselves.

A murder case in which, coincidentally, suspects included private investigators working for the NotW.

Not quite sure how she's supposed to prove a negative, but it seems clear she's doing all she can to deflect any responsibility from herself onto others, and is doing so in an incredibly crass and unpleasant manner as highlighted by David Allen Green. The 'role' / lack of action by the police is looking pretty damn shocking too.

Would be fantastic if there's a domino effect on this - Ford pulling out of advertising is a good start - hopefully others will follow and maybe even some of the people who buy those awful papers will follow suite...

I get your point, but for NoTW (or the Rag) employees let's let that lie.

My point really was that if you're a boss, or whatever level, you're responsible for what your staff are doing. So you have no defense unless they have deliberately gone out of the way to prevent you knowing/finding out

I get your point, but for NoTW (or the Rag) employees let's let that lie.

My point really was that if you're a boss, or whatever level, you're responsible for what your staff are doing. So you have no defense unless they have deliberately gone out of the way to prevent you knowing/finding out

Agree - hence why her attempts at deflecting the blame are so astounding.

C4 going with notw hacking a snr detective's phone while on a big murder case, and they have proof of brooks being told by the bizzies themselves.

Good that this comes out just a few hours after her poor attempts to play all innocent.