Phone Hacking

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One might've hoped that one of these would've wanted to actually get justice but seems like these millionaires are happy to take a few extra quid to settle.

Nice one guys.

Sir Elton John, Gordon Ramsay, David Tennant and Heather Mills haven't taken the money.

The ones who did settle don't all sound like millionaires to me really either.

Not exactly hurting for cash tho are they?

Fine, they'd rather take a few extra quid rather than do the right thing

Doherty maybe. He's a known t** and I wouldn't expect any better though. The others I'm not so sure. These articles are all weighted towards making the reader believe phone hacking happens to celebs only. Actually it's ordinary people who've already been through hell a lot of the time.

These papers need ending. So does the attitude they speak to in this country.

Doherty maybe. He's a known t** and I wouldn't expect any better though. The others I'm not so sure. These articles are all weighted towards making the reader believe phone hacking happens to celebs only. Actually it's ordinary people who've already been through hell a lot of the time.

These papers need ending. So does the attitude they speak to in this country.

We'd be a lot closer to this happening if people didn't keep making out of court settlements and there were more proper hearings

I imagine a few off of the celebs gave their payouts to charity and most probably just didn't fancy their whole lives dragging through the courts. Hard to criticise really.

They carry far less cuplability for this stuff continuing to happen than those who buy those papers.

• 4 months later...

Four people settled within hours of a hearing yesterday that would have dealt with potential criminal activity at the Sun by Rebekah Brooks and James Murdoch. Mr Justice Mann was apparently furious as this was a test case with many more piled up behind. Vic Reeves was one of the four, which I found disappointing.

When will there be somebody who is going to refuse to settle no matter how much is thrown at them?

Four people settled within hours of a hearing yesterday that would have dealt with potential criminal activity at the Sun by Rebekah Brooks and James Murdoch. Mr Justice Mann was apparently furious as this was a test case with many more piled up behind. Vic Reeves was one of the four, which I found disappointing.When will there be somebody who is going to refuse to settle no matter how much is thrown at them?

How much are they settling for or is it undisclosed?

How much are they settling for or is it undisclosed?

"Six figures" is all that's quoted. There was a trial set to last 6 weeks and the settlement was within hours of the start.

The Murdochs are obviously prepared to throw millions at claimants to avoid an examination of the deletion of millions of emails and have Brooks in the witness box again.

"Six figures" is all that's quoted. There was a trial set to last 6 weeks and the settlement was within hours of the start.The Murdochs are obviously prepared to throw millions at claimants to avoid an examination of the deletion of millions of emails and have Brooks in the witness box again.

I can see why someone of Moirs age would take a big 6 figure boost to his pension. Any trial would be all over the media and he might have had enough of being in the papers for stuff other than his work, it's happened to him a fair few times over the years.

It's frustrating on a wider level though.

Thing with not settling is under litigation reforms it can make you liable not only for your own legal fees but for the other sides as well, if you end up getting awarded less that you were offered. So no lawyer worth their salt would recommend you keep going if there’s a decent settlement on the table.

I don’t remember anyone mentioning the moral impact of these reforms at the time or when I was studying law, which is interesting in itself.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...