By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Have I Got News For You TV Show

Nebraska Red

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought the piece on Savile in last week's show was used as an opportunity for the BBC to have a pop at the double standards of the newspapers who have been criticising the BBC for not taking action over Savile in the last 40 years, rather than taking the piss out of anything and everyone as they normally do - although jokes on the subject matter would have been thin on the ground and difficult to justify.

Thought the piece on Savile in last week's show was used as an opportunity for the BBC to have a pop at the double standards of the newspapers who have been criticising the BBC for not taking action over Savile in the last 40 years, rather than taking the piss out of anything and everyone as they normally do - although jokes on the subject matter would have been thin on the ground and difficult to justify.

interesting. i thought they did what a current affairs satire show should be doing.

it would be nice to see more of the bbc fighting back against scum like the mail to be honest.

interesting. i thought they did what a current affairs satire show should be doing.

it would be nice to see more of the bbc fighting back against scum like the mail to be honest.

showing the description of the pic of the 14 year old was proper fighting talk

has the mail responded in any way?

Perhaps that's why the BBC used HIGNFY as the vehicle to have a go at the likes of the Mail. The hypocrisy of the Mail is nauseating and a piece on Newsnight by Paxman would be harder hitting, but obviously Newsnight is not currently the place to be casting the first stone. Far safer to use a satire show to make the point.

They can't though, whatever we may think about the BBC now it allowed a lot of terrible stuff to go on then

it did, but that doesn't mean that today's generation of programme-makers was involved then. collective guilt doesn't have to apply really. just enjoyed seeing balding and merton come out swinging against that vile rag that is the mail.

it did, but that doesn't mean that today's generation of programme-makers was involved then. collective guilt doesn't have to apply really. just enjoyed seeing balding and merton come out swinging against that vile rag that is the mail.

No it doesn't Steve but when an organisations allowed such to happen and isn't leading the charge against it then it needs to back off.

How many people at the S*n where there in 89 how many decision makers in SYP?

Perhaps that's why the BBC used HIGNFY as the vehicle to have a go at the likes of the Mail. The hypocrisy of the Mail is nauseating and a piece on Newsnight by Paxman would be harder hitting, but obviously Newsnight is not currently the place to be casting the first stone. Far safer to use a satire show to make the point.

that's not really how things work

I'd agree under normal circumstances. The format of the show is fairly simple with the first section taking the 2 biggest news stories of the week and then poking fun at what's gone on.

Savile was the biggest story going, so they couldn't ignore it but equally they didn't poke fun at it either. They treated it seriously and turned it on it's head neatly with having a go at the Mail. I'm struggling to believe that some sort of conversation didn't take place fairly high up in the BBC on how that section of the show would be handled. The comments made by Hislop and Merton were all valid, but I felt it was a little out of kilter with the normal thrust of the show.

I'm struggling to believe that some sort of conversation didn't take place fairly high up in the BBC on how that section of the show would be handled.

Yes, that would have happened. But it would be a question of how it's best for HIGNFY to talk about the subject, rather than a strategic BBC swipe at the Mail.

No it doesn't Steve but when an organisations allowed such to happen and isn't leading the charge against it then it needs to back off.

How many people at the S*n where there in 89 how many decision makers in SYP?

oof, see there you go and sink my battleship. think my love for the bbc and what it stands for is colouring my stance on this. don't think that's something that s*n readers could cling to in a storm.

oof, see there you go and sink my battleship. think my love for the bbc and what it stands for is colouring my stance on this. don't think that's something that s*n readers could cling to in a storm.

I'm really proud to say is my national broadcaster, it's about as British as I ever feel when talking about it. It's the image of Britain I want people to have I love Radio 4, I think David Attenborough is possibly the greatest thing to happen to television, I think Patrick Moore comes close it's the one thing I can get nostalgic about. Horizon, Panorama, Blue Planet Reggae Britannia ;) f***ing wonderful television.

But they knew it was happening and did nothing.

And I get the issue with the Mail running the story because f***s sake it's annoying when the immoral anti everything that's not British, White and Middle Class+ points the finger at the BBC but we have to accept it's difficult to take the moral high ground in opposition to the mail from the BBC's perspective.

I'm really proud to say is my national broadcaster, it's about as British as I ever feel when talking about it. It's the image of Britain I want people to have I love Radio 4, I think David Attenborough is possibly the greatest thing to happen to television, I think Patrick Moore comes close it's the one thing I can get nostalgic about. Horizon, Panorama, Blue Planet Reggae Britannia ;) f***ing wonderful television.

But they knew it was happening and did nothing.

And I get the issue with the Mail running the story because f***s sake it's annoying when the immoral anti everything that's not British, White and Middle Class+ points the finger at the BBC but we have to accept it's difficult to take the moral high ground in opposition to the mail from the BBC's perspective.

yeah me and another english mate were recently boring the pants off some american and australian friends here about the bbc, about radio 4, about things like attenborough and the f***ing shipping forecast and they had no idea what we were talking about of course. but yes, it's a pride thing definitely.

them knowing about it and doing nothing is akin to having to accept that john peel was in the wrong for me. you just don't want to. but you know you have to. never meet your heroes.

quick edit to that: kenny dalglish notwithstanding.

I think that HIGNFY can take the moral stance though, theyve clearly given the BBC stick about different things in the past and as hislop said if someone knew and had evidence that it was happening then they should be arrested. HIGNFY doesnt seem to ever have had a problem biting the hands that feeds it....and long may that continue.

Edited by Ostrich Man