By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Masters Degree

Ant

get yourself some envelopes...

I was offered a masters down south but didn't take it as I really didn't fancy going straight back into Education, plus I'd be out of pocket...again as a student and I really didn't fancy it.

Plus it's down south.

I was offered a masters down south but didn't take it as I really didn't fancy going straight back into Education, plus I'd be out of pocket...again as a student and I really didn't fancy it.

Plus it's down south.

with such a parochial attitude I'm sure you'll go far !

no point doing it now, get some experience first and then do one that most matches your career aspirations

Spot on.

Not everyone who has worked at the coalface makes a good manager. But, in my experience, the best managers have all worked at the coalface first.

Haha It's something I really need to look at concretely but the whole process just put me off slightly. I was just hoping some of the guys here who have been educated to such a level know whats the best route in.

Earning potential I guess. Looking at doing something along the lines of management. Always good to keep learning

Thats pretty much the wrong reason to do it then. Won't make any difference to you right now for where you are in your career. The world is full of over qualified people doing jobs (or not in work) below their academic achievements.

My nephew went straight into doing an MSc when he finished Uni in Leeds - studied anti- terrorism or something - he now works in a cigar shop in London. I finished my degree over 20 years ago but due to my work am seriously considering doing an MSc or equivalent which would bump me up the professional ladder. Plus the company would pay for it.

Dont do it for the sake of it, get a few years of experience in the workplace first and if there is an opportunity to develop yourself further along a specific career path then seriously consider it - it can be full time/part time or distance learning and should fit in with your work/life

You realise he's a spy don't you?

Lol my nephew has many qualities but keeping a secret/being incognito isnt one of them!

He did it cos he thought it would be interesting and didnt want to get into the real world of work - think he wants to get into advertising/marketing but has tried the civil service too.

Lets face it how many people know what they want to do in their early 20's - I didnt - in fact I still dont!

Ant,

With your degree (computing right) I would look at doing a few years work and then decide into your mid / late 20's if you are going the technical or management route.

Then you could do an MSc in a relevant technical field (although how long they stay relevant for...) or even look to do an MBA. If I was looking at an MBA I would be looking at trying to get into one of the top American Uni's and do it on a year out.

IMO you get would little real benefit from doing an MBA until at least your late 20's, as you need some real world expirence behind you, but others may disagree,

The only advice I can offer from personal experience it to get as much of your studies out of the way as young as possible. That doesn't mean you can't go to work for a few years then go back to Uni at weekends or night classes but don't leave it too late. I'm 40 next year and am trying to complete my CIMA qualification at nightclass. There was a gap of 18 years between leaving college and going back to college and it's bloody hard work. Add to that, having kids in the house who you will want to spend time with rather than study, makes things even harder.

I haven't a clue about computing or how far your qualifications can get you but my advice would be to get it out of the way before wife/kids/age become a barrier to completing it.