By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Sony Studio Liverpool (Psygnosis) closes

Barnesy_10

This morning I heard the sad news that the studio was to be closed.... proper gutted for some absolute genius individuals who have developed some revoltionary games over the years... Many ex colleagues who I worked with whilst I was there

It was the UK's longest running studio and has an unbelievable catalogue of games under its belt....

The industry in this country is looking even bleaker..... I just hope they all find jobs soon.

Sad day :bye:

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1696/A-Brief-History-Sony-Studio-Liverpool

3D Lemmings

3D Lemmings Winterland

3X: The Science of War

Adidas Power Soccer

The Adventures of Lomax

Agony

Air Support

All New World of Lemmings

Alundra

Amnios

Anarchy

Aquaventura

Armour-Geddon

Armour-Geddon 2: Codename Hellfire

Assault Rigs

Atomino

Attack of the Saucerman

Awesome

Baal

Ballistix

Barbarian

Barbarian II

Benefactor

Bill's Tomato Game

Blast Radius

Blood Money

Bloodwych

Blue Ice

Bob's Bad Day

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Brataccas

Brian the Lion

The Carl Lewis Challenge

Captain Fizz Meets The Blaster-Trons

Carthage

Christmas Lemmings

Chronicles of the Sword

Chrono Quest

City of Lost Children

Colony Wars

Colony Wars: Vengeance

Colony Wars: Red Sun

Combat Air Patrol

Creepers

Cytron

Darker

Darkstalkers

Daughter of Serpents

Deadline

Deep Space

Defcon 5

Destruction Derby

Destruction Derby 2

Destruction Derby 64

Destruction Derby Raw

Diggers 2: Extractors

Discworld

Discworld II: Mortality Bytes!

Drakan: Order of the Flame

Eagle One: Harrier Attack

Ecstatica

Ecstatica II

Eliminator

Expert Pool

Formula 1

Formula 1 97

Formula 1 98

Formula One 99

Formula One 2000

Formula One 2001

Formula One 2002

Formula One 2003

F1 04

F1 05

F106

Formula One: Championship Edition

G-Police

G-Police: Weapons of Justice

Global Domination

Globdule

Guilty

Hired Guns

Infestation

Innocent Until Caught

The Killing Game Show

Kingsley's Adventure

Krazy Ivan

Lander

Last Action Hero

Leander

Lemmings

Lemmings 2: The Tribes

Lemmings Paintball

Lemmings Revolution

Lifeforce Tenka

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Matrix Marauders

Menace

Metal Fatigue

Microcosm

Misadventures of Flink

Monster Trucks

Nations: Fighter Command

Nevermind

Nitro

Novastorm

O.D.T. - Escape... Or Die Trying

Obitus

Obliterator

Oh No! More Lemmings

Ork

Overboard!

Panzer Elite

Perihelion: The Prophecy

Prime Mover

Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame

Pro 18 World Tour Golf

Psybadek

Puggsy

Pyrotechnica

Rascal

Rastan

Retro Force

Ring Cycle, The

Riot

Roll Away

Rollcage

Rollcage Stage II

Rollcage: Limited Edition

Rosco McQueen Firefighter Extreme

Rush Hour

The Second Samurai

Sentient

Sentinel Returns

Shadow Master

Shadow of the Beast

Shadow of the Beast II

Shadow of the Beast III: Out of the Shadow

Shipwreckers!

Speedster

Spice World

Stryx

Team Buddies

Tellurian Defense

Terrorpods

Theatre of Death

Thunder Truck Rally

Toy Story

Tricks N' Treasures

Walker

Wipeout

Wipeout 64

Wipeout: 2097/Wipeout XL

Wipeout 3

Wipeout 3: Special Edition

Wipeout Fusion

Wipeout Pure

Wipeout Pulse

Wipeout HD

Wipeout HD Fury

Wipeout 2048

Wiz 'n' Liz: The Frantic Wabbit Wescue

X-It

Zombieville

PopCap owned by EA is closing down in Dublin as well, it's a s*** time for games developers it seems

yup.... I left Sony last Autumn.... Previously was at Bizarre Creations which got closed down too.... The North West used to be thriving with development studios, but my current place and a handful of others on the outskirts of Liverpool (Travellers Tales in Knutsford) are all that remain..... For us with families its horrible knowing its getting bleaker... Canada seems to be the place to be.

Sorry to hear that.

I'd loads of those games from the C64 cartridges to the Amiga to the Playstation and even keep a copy of Wipeout on my PS3 for old times sake.

Shadow of the Beast was amazing back when it came out and loved all the box art and t-shirts with limited editions that came with Psygnosis releases.

That Formula One '97 is still the best version of the sport to this very day.

Bad times.

cheers guys, I am safe as I am working at a dev studio in the Elevator studios on Parliament St in town...

but yeah lets hope the government see just how critical the UK has been to the industry and sorts it out.

Wasn't there supposed to be a load of safeguards put in, in the last couple of budgets?

Remember Cameron making that pledge - obviously not materialised.

Real shame that - it's an institution, Psygnosis.

Wasn't there supposed to be a load of safeguards put in, in the last couple of budgets?

Remember Cameron making that pledge - obviously not materialised.

Real shame that - it's an institution, Psygnosis.

Yup, nothing has come of it at all.....

Not aware of all the facts yet, but I think a large issue here is hardware related.... Sony aren't financially in the best place, but the Vita hasn't sold particularily well.... (ironically mainly due to a small library of games)

yup.... I left Sony last Autumn.... Previously was at Bizarre Creations which got closed down too.... The North West used to be thriving with development studios, but my current place and a handful of others on the outskirts of Liverpool (Travellers Tales in Knutsford) are all that remain..... For us with families its horrible knowing its getting bleaker... Canada seems to be the place to be.

I suspect an expensive luxury like a video game is one of the first things to be cut from a family budget as belts are tightened, I'm not surprised the industry is being hit hard.

I suspect an expensive luxury like a video game is one of the first things to be cut from a family budget as belts are tightened, I'm not surprised the industry is being hit hard.

actually game sales aren't affected by the economy so much... Many families buy video games still as they are a source of entertainment for their child regardless.... Easter and Thanksgiving are the two peak sales times, always have been. Parents buy the kids a game and they get a few weeks out of it.. They are cheaper than the average day out too.... Alton Towers is what? £100 for a family of 4 to get in these days, £150 after refreshments etc.

What does affect the industry is the pre owned games... Now there are more pre owned games on the shelves than there are full price.... Obviously this money doesn't go back into the pockets of the publishers or developers. Parents and kids aren't fussed if the game is sealed or second hand, the fact they are a mere few quid cheaper is what appeals.....

actually game sales aren't affected by the economy so much... Many families buy video games still as they are a source of entertainment for their child regardless.... Easter and Thanksgiving are the two peak sales times, always have been. Parents buy the kids a game and they get a few weeks out of it.. They are cheaper than the average day out too.... Alton Towers is what? £100 for a family of 4 to get in these days, £150 after refreshments etc.

What does affect the industry is the pre owned games... Now there are more pre owned games on the shelves than there are full price.... Obviously this money doesn't go back into the pockets of the publishers or developers. Parents and kids aren't fussed if the game is sealed or second hand, the fact they are a mere few quid cheaper is what appeals.....

From what I've read, the sales of games and consoles are down year on year from the peak of the boom times, the lackluster sales of the Vita seem to be additional evidence. I wouldn't argue against the actual value of games (according to Steam I've spent 185 hours on CSS) but the initial £40 outlay is considerable for many families and their purchasing may be reduced to birthdays rather than every month.

If it isn't due to a lack of sales, why do think so many studios are shutting down recently, Pre owned can't be that important can it?

Edited by Spion kop

This is true. I'll be honest, I've spent less money on games in this generation that in any previous. Although I tend not to buy second hand, taking advantage of rather generous trade-in deals on Amazon and waiting for good deals on new games have meant that my total outgoing has been pretty small.

Another issue I've heard from other developers is the polarisation of the market during the last 5 years or so (and the increasing costs of developing new games). The big hitters are taking an increasing market share leaving pretty meagre spoils for the also-rans. It's getting increasingly difficult to sell the 1-2M copies you need to break even.

From what I've read, the sales of games and consoles are down year on year from the peak of the boom times, the lackluster sales of the Vita seem to be additional evidence. I wouldn't argue against the actual value of games (according to Steam I've spent 185 hours on CSS) but the initial £40 outlay is considerable for many families and their purchasing may be reduced to birthdays rather than every month.

If it isn't due to a lack of sales, why do think so many studios are shutting down recently, Pre owned can't be that important can it?

Studios in the UK are shutting down more so than any other place in the world at the moment due to problems such as Tax Breaks... Wages in the US and Canada are significantly higher and are now a bigger draw for developers... Its still a relevantly young industry, many people can afford to uproot before they settle down in order to find stability in the industry. Older devs like myself with families are less likely to want to move, and look within the UK but now its getting to the point where my only option would be Europe or the US or Canada if I want to stay in this industry.

Funding development of titles is a massive outlay for publishers. You see fewer AAA titles released. Instead we see the same AAA titles getting sequels as they have established themselves as the pinnacle of the genre. Uncharted, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Fifa, Forza.... They are all the top of the genres and all command budgets of over $20m but they are low risk as they are established and will always sell. People but COD because it has a high quality bar, many criticise some of the later versions of the game, but they still sell regardless. Publishers will not back or even consider backing a new IP due to the risk as competing with these established IP's is difficult. Instead the lower budget games for iPad or Android are being created. Smaller start up teams, with lower risk are setting up.... but the App Store is now diluted with so much s*** that this is now a major risk as the game can just evaporate and get lost in amongst all the crap.