By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

IT Question - MS Access

John am Rhein

does anyone have much knowledge of MS Access development? If so then is there any way to achieve the following?

We have an MS Access app, using Forms, Reports, possibly other bits and pieces, which stores its data in an SQL Server database. Is there any simple way to run this app (preferably with little or no modification) on a web server so that users can use it in their web browsers? - the data can continue to be stored in SQL Server as before

There seem to be one or two possible ways to achieve this - MS Office 365 or Alpha Five, perhaps - but while they seem to accommodate existing access databases it's less clear if they can accommodate existing forms, reports, etc. and, in particular, the fairly complex business logic that's build into some of those forms.

Any suggestions for this?

sounds like it IS potentially quite a lot of effort - in which case we'd just redevelop it on a different platform anyway (probably retaining the SQL Server database in the background)

What I was looking for is some way to take the existing Access app with little or no modification and make it run on a web server. Reckon that would be impossible?

sounds like it IS potentially quite a lot of effort - in which case we'd just redevelop it on a different platform anyway (probably retaining the SQL Server database in the background)

What I was looking for is some way to take the existing Access app with little or no modification and make it run on a web server. Reckon that would be impossible?

Yes, John....it would be impossible unless you converted it as described in that link I provided (which is why I provided it)

Yes, John....it would be impossible unless you converted it as described in that link I provided (which is why I provided it)

sounds like you're being facetious, which is what always seems to happen when you try to answer IT questions

Certainly it's clear that the tool you gave the link to wouldn't do what I'm asking for, but are you saying that there is definitely no way no doing this without some kind of conversion or just that this particular tool can't do it?

sounds like you're being facetious, which is what always seems to happen when you try to answer IT questions

Certainly it's clear that the tool you gave the link to wouldn't do what I'm asking for, but are you saying that there is definitely no way no doing this without some kind of conversion or just that this particular tool can't do it?

nothing facetious, John.....just trying to avoid stating the obvious as you are an intelligent bloke. And it's not clear that the tool I gave won't do the job...it does the job, hence why I linked to it. It's just that I regretted using it....my regret doesn't mean it didn't work....it means I regretted using it, and not doing something else that would have removed the need for the access front-end.

But here's the obvious anyway - an access database is an file intended to be opened in Microsoft Access. Host it on a web server, try to open it in a browser and guess what will happen? If no Access installed on the machine, then the file can't be opened....if access installed, then a copy of that file will be downloaded to the machine and opened. And note that -. a copy. It won't be a live version....no idea how it's going to behave in your environment. There would be no benefit to putting it on the web server.

So....you will need to convert it, somehow. My link is a suggestion on how to do it. Another suggestion, which I've given and used myself multiple times in the past, is to develop a front-end for it in the browser.....the data is already in SQL.

Is that ok now?

the thing I'm looking for would be some kind of tool which automatically generates a front end for the Access app when it opens it on the server and presents that front end to the user in their browser. This is technically possible, of course, but there doesn't seem to be any existing tool which actually does it (or does somebody else know of one?)

As I said above, if the effort of converting the app to make it work with a web interface is anything more than trivial then we'd redevelop it on another platform anyway