By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Make people's lives better

charlie clown

I know this is going to open up some, erm, interesting suggestions... I have been asked if I can come up with some ideas to make the company I work for a better and more attractive place to be... so in the time-honoured tradition, I thought I the obvious thing to do was to ask the assorted twunts, nonces and no-marks of the genny.... over to you chaps: what benefits (or owt else) would you like to see at work to make turning up on a Monday morning a more palatable experience?

A few that worked from the last time I had to endure this:

- No offices. Completely open plan for everyone - including senior management who must be sat amongst the staff and not like the Japanese model of sitting behind them like overseers (this works very well a Bloomberg).

- A break-out area that is not just a rusty kettle and a dirty sink, but somewhere that you can sit (without filthy looks from management) on a comfy chair for 10 minutes and enjoy a cup of tea in peace even when it is not lunch time.

- A vending machine with free coffee and tea in it. Even if it tastes vile the thought is appreciated.

- A cuddly toy.

Edited by DanielS

I know this is going to open up some, erm, interesting suggestions... I have been asked if I can come up with some ideas to make the company I work for a better and more attractive place to be... so in the time-honoured tradition, I thought I the obvious thing to do was to ask the assorted twunts, nonces and no-marks of the genny.... over to you chaps: what benefits (or owt else) would you like to see at work to make turning up on a Monday morning a more palatable experience?

What's the job / office ?

Flextime.

If the managers / supervisors can do it then a 9 day fortnight - do your regular hours in 9 days instead of 10 – that way you get a day off every two weeks.

Lunches/ piss ups paid for by management on a regular basis (not daily!!)

Get everyone to meet with their manager at least once a fortnight.

And a totally serious one – company sponsored charity days. Set up a charity group. Once a quarter pick a charity from the ones proposed to the group and actually go do some hands on work for them. You can limit the amount of staff volunteering for it so that you get say 10 people for 2 days. Costs the company very little – people get to do something worthwhile and on company time and the company gets the headlines for it. Charity gets work done for free. It’s a winner all around.

We have a proper breakout area with comfy seats, a proper table and chairs to eat at, tv, games console, fridges, vending machines and sofas to lie on. We also have volunteer days at local charities etc. bottom line, its still a poor place to work because the managers still think they are the most important people in the business.

There was a fella on the tv explaining how if you ask a german what he does, he will say telecommunications and only when he is asked further, will he say he is a manager. In britain, the opposite would happen. Its attitude that needs changing, without that all the extra trimmings are wasted

We have a proper breakout area with comfy seats, a proper table and chairs to eat at, tv, games console, fridges, vending machines and sofas to lie on. We also have volunteer days at local charities etc. bottom line, its still a poor place to work because the managers still think they are the most important people in the business.

There was a fella on the tv explaining how if you ask a german what he does, he will say telecommunications and only when he is asked further, will he say he is a manager. In britain, the opposite would happen. Its attitude that needs changing, without that all the extra trimmings are wasted

That's a huge daft generalization.

That's a huge daft generalization.

What all of It? Or did you just go quote crazy?

It is a generalization thus the use of two countries.

In my experience, having to ask what is needed to improve the working environment shows that you have no communication with your workers, except to give them s***. If the people who run these comPanies spent time with and around their workforce, they wouldnt need to ask. Its all a lot of nonsense. Treat people with respect and they will not worry about their surroundings, if need be an engaged workforce will look after things like this themselves.

What all of It? Or did you just go quote crazy?

It is a generalization thus the use of two countries.

In my experience, having to ask what is needed to improve the working environment shows that you have no communication with your workers, except to give them s***. If the people who run these comPanies spent time with and around their workforce, they wouldnt need to ask. Its all a lot of nonsense. Treat people with respect and they will not worry about their surroundings, if need be an engaged workforce will look after things like this themselves.

The bit about a typical German worker v a typical British one. It's rubbish.

I was on my phone and couldn't be arsed to not be 'quote crazy'.