By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Olympics TV/Radio Hosts, Commentators, Pundits

Ripley

Thought it might merit separating out from events/athletes.

Johnson and McEnroe are a given surely?

Thorpe was a revelation on a sport that is boring. Learned a lot (and I hope Jake did too) from Boardman and Cavendish.

Barker and Lineker are utter rubbish. Denise Lewis better than Colin Jackson if only because Johnson agrees with her regularly.

5Live shouty programmes introduced by Campbell and Derbyshire appalling. Do like the athletics commentary from Mike Costello and also Alison Curbishley (didn't know she was Cram's partner). Why does Pougatch shout so much these days?

Pearce and Lawrenson should be torn limb from limb obviously.

Nice to hear Barry Davies again.

David Bond should never be forgiven for his news piece to camera on the first Saturday. There had only been the road race and he said that "if medals don't start arriving tomorrow, difficult questions will start to be asked"

Oh, and Phil Jones, what does it feel like?

Best interviewee of those who "medalled"? Katherine Grainger by a mile

Edited by Ripley

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson and McEnroe are masterful, I really liked Thorpe and Foster? Boardman Cavendish and also liked Jamie Staff, also like Balding.

I was asking about the World Club Championship in 2005 the other day was it Pougatch covering it?

That "Gold" thing they do and pictures of medal winners stuck on boards is annoying on the highlights show. Its not f***ing TISWAS.

Michael Johnson would look cool and authoritative talking you through the ingredients for Rice Crispies.

Edited by D.Boon

Johnson and McEnroe are masterful, I really liked Thorpe and Foster? Boardman Cavendish and also liked Jamie Staff, also like Balding.

I was asking about the World Club Championship in 2005 the other day was it Pougatch covering it?

It was Pougatch when he was quiet and asking interesting questions forcing Hansen and Co to actually earn their money. No idea why he became so loud.

It was Pougatch when he was quiet and asking interesting questions forcing Hansen and Co to actually earn their money. No idea why he became so loud.

Thanks I suspect it was you that pointed this out at the time. He definitely showed up the rest.

I can't stand Clare Balding but thought she was brilliant presenting the swimming. She knew as little about the sport as the viewers so was asking questions, no matter how silly they seemed to the experts and got explanations for the viewers.

On the flip side, I was listening to Colin Murray giving his expertise view on the tae kwon do yesterday on 5live

I can't stand Clare Balding but thought she was brilliant presenting the swimming. She knew as little about the sport as the viewers so was asking questions, no matter how silly they seemed to the experts and got explanations for the viewers.

On the flip side, I was listening to Colin Murray giving his expertise view on the tae kwon do yesterday on 5live

Balding is ace

I had forgotten about the twerp that is Murray. He's everywhere too.

he must have been home-educated

He would surely have been beaten to death if he went to school?

he must have been home-educated

He would surely have been beaten to death if he went to school?

He was enough to make me stop watching the European Poker Tour he was that bad. I though Big Al had just taken a notion to despise him before I had to listen to him for 5 minutes

Best coverage for me has been Sky Sports News. Masterclass in how not cover an event you have no rights to - peaking with them explaining why Bolt's height was going to hold him back in the starting blocks...

Mind you, BBC's insistence on trying to compare Bolt with Owens consistently was painful. They just about stopped short of wheeling out Thatcher in a Hitler outfit

As for presenters, all of those who usually talk you through wheat prices or the cricket, but have been hired to talk about sport and horsies have struggled. And whoever thought Linekar was capable must have been on some serious Class As

Best coverage for me has been Sky Sports News. Masterclass in how not cover an event you have no rights to - peaking with them explaining why Bolt's height was going to hold him back in the starting blocks...

Mind you, BBC's insistence on trying to compare Bolt with Owens consistently was painful. They just about stopped short of wheeling out Thatcher in a Hitler outfit

As for presenters, all of those who usually talk you through wheat prices or the cricket, but have been hired to talk about sport and horsies have struggled. And whoever thought Linekar was capable must have been on some serious Class As

That would have been boss though

Darren Campbell, even though he's a Manc, has been good on the Athletics on the radio. Peter Allen has been good in showing how to present a sports event on radio without sounding like a prat.

Conversely, Kriss Akabusi (when he's on) just comes out with so much crap. Nicky Campbell, Rachel Burden & Victoria Derbyshire in the morning & afternoon have been shockingly bad.

The commentary on the basketball (Mike Carlson/John Amaechi) has been very good. Alan Green was good on the rowing as well.

On NBC, on their Prime Time program, they have Ryan Seacrest discussing the important events that occurred on Social Media throughout the day. I am not joking.

The same channel that decided America didn't need to see the opening ceremony tribute to the victims of 7/7 and cut to Seacrest interviewing Phelps...

Agree pretty much with everything said so far in this thread - the good uns have been great and the bad uns have been woeful. Irrespective of how much she knows or doesn't know Claire Balding does her job really well because she is just a very competent broadcaster, unlike Lineker, Lawrenson etc.

I only had 5Live on once and switched off within about three minutes it was that irritating.

The only commentary that I really thought was a left down was on the ladies' road race on that first Sunday. It was not particularly insightful and just seemed to be repeating the same obvious stuff over and over. It was like listening to Shearer or Jocky on MOTD.

I've no idea who it has been but the team doing the sailing has been excellent as well.

Edited by charlie clown

Hugh Porter good value on the track cycling too.

In fairness and relating to CC post above, they were let down terribly by the lack of on course information in the road races. Porter is too fond of "igniting the burners" though.

Jamie Staff also insightful, as mentioned earlier.

In fairness and relating to CC post above, they were let down terribly by the lack of on course information in the road races. Porter is too fond of "igniting the burners" though.

Yeah, I know, I think that commentary team was let down by the coverage in a lot of ways but when they had to 'fill' it was just tired cliches and banalities repeated endlessly. I know it's a lengthy event so there's a degreee to which there will be some repetition but they really did have me reaching for the mute button.

Jamie Staff also insightful, as mentioned earlier.

Yes, very good.

I'm mystified at how Cavandish won sports personality.

He sounds like he's permanantly moaning.

Hardly goes on personality though does it?

I think he's come across as sound anyway, and deserves a medal for putting up with Jake Humphrey.