By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

If you had $60 million dollars to spend on a school

DanielS

its not like they were taking money from the education budget.

and they got a performing arts center out of it too.

so 2 areas that will bring money in at no cost to the rest of the budget..

can't see the problem.

apart from the fact that its in Texas.

its not like they were taking money from the education budget.

and they got a performing arts center out of it too.

so 2 areas that will bring money in at no cost to the rest of the budget..

can't see the problem.

apart from the fact that its in Texas.

Really? The education budget has been cut again and they are losing teachers (which they have offset, admittedly, by increasing local taxes) and the budget is at rock bottom anyway. Surely they could have spent that money on all of the students instead of just a few? Or maybe spend $30 million on their cathedral to adult regret and invest the rest in books, computers and teachers that will enrich the students' lives on the other 6 days of the week.

local property taxes raised to aid education budget.

Private bond raising the money for sports stadium.

Theres no money coming out of the education budget for this.

I think you are getting the worng end of the stick here.

I know it is not coming out of the budget - I never said it was.

I just think they could have spent the money on something to help all of the students rather than just a select few.

I know it is not coming out of the budget - I never said it was.

I just think they could have spent the money on something to help all of the students rather than just a select few.

you think they would have raised $60 in a bond issue based on "spending it on stuff that'll help people".

not sure you'd get too many takers.

should they spend more money on education at that school? - No idea - don;t know how it does, how well its funded etc etc.

What I can see is that there was demand for a bigger stadium and they went down the route of private funding in order to get it built. Can't see whats wrong with that - especially as they are doing a performing arts center as well (normally a well underfunded area).

there was never any chance of $60m being raised for education as the bonds woudl have sold.

They obviously did think that there was some issue on education to be resolved as local taxes were increased to fund education.

So to sum it up - the locals are paying more taxes to fund education and the sports area has raised money to build a bigger stadium and arts center without money coming from the education budget.

If there are problems to be address in funding I can't see that focusing on this school is the way into that discussion. Looks like they have it pretty much under control.

you think they would have raised $60 in a bond issue based on "spending it on stuff that'll help people".

not sure you'd get too many takers.

should they spend more money on education at that school? - No idea - don;t know how it does, how well its funded etc etc.

What I can see is that there was demand for a bigger stadium and they went down the route of private funding in order to get it built. Can't see whats wrong with that - especially as they are doing a performing arts center as well (normally a well underfunded area).

there was never any chance of $60m being raised for education as the bonds woudl have sold.

They obviously did think that there was some issue on education to be resolved as local taxes were increased to fund education.

So to sum it up - the locals are paying more taxes to fund education and the sports area has raised money to build a bigger stadium and arts center without money coming from the education budget.

If there are problems to be address in funding I can't see that focusing on this school is the way into that discussion. Looks like they have it pretty much under control.

They certainly know how to spend money on sport. This school is exactly the place to focus attention on the problems with funding and budgets. Because the locals decide that if they want to contribute it would be a good idea to build a sports stadium the state and federal budgets must cover basic education. The education that has seen America drop from amongst the top rated countries in the world to a position behind the rest of the western world in Maths and Science.

American companies are buying in expertise, but it is increasingly a case that the top minds are remaining at home. Even if the blue chip names are keeping the HQs at home they are taking not only the low paid manufacturing jobs overseas, but some of the R&D divisions too.

In the up and coming (and probably already there) economies like India and China education is still more important than reliving juvenile sporting fantasies on a Friday night and if they get a lead on science then the US is going to be in big trouble. Your labour force is expensive and unproductive in comparison with other countries at the top end of the manufacturing scale and relying on new technologies, etc. to keep you in the game is not going to last long if you aren't teaching the next generation of scientists

The whole attitude that stirs a local community to spend $60 million on a sports stadium and not on academically oriented programs is exactly the way into a discussion on the glaring funding issues in US education.

ok - but you are approaching this as if the school has education issues. Do you know that or are you assuming that it does.

Where do you stand if the education for that school is good?

Do you know how that school is doing?

From what I can see the locals have raised taxes to make sure the school doesn;t suffer AND also a group of locals have backed the bonds for a stadium and an arts center.

I don;t see the problem for THAT school.

Had the whole of texas decided to fund stadiums instead of schools and forced it on people then there is a discussion.

A quick glance at school ratings show that the school is highly rated. So they also have issued bonds to build a stadium.

This isn't a good example to use. As far as I can see they are a good school and have the backing of the local area to raise taxes and other funding to support the sports, arts and education. What more do you think that this area should do? The funding of education is partly down to the state and partly the town that the school is in. Not sure what else you expect of them.

If you are talking in more general terms then I agree that there is a lack of focus on certain parts of the education - although it has to be said that the choices for kids at schools is far better than it was when I was at school in the UK - and I went to a good school.

I've just moved and one of the main reasons for living in the town I live in was because it has an excellent high school. I was lucky enough to be in a position to pick where I lived. Teh biggest problem is that there are schools that aren;t so good and plenty of people who have no or little choice where they live. Then you end up in vicious circle thats hard to break.

My old Primary school in Southport chooses to spend its recession-hit budget on individual ipads for each year 6 student and more ipads for each class of other years. The kids get to take the things home and do all their schoolwork and homework on them. P'sses me off, we didn't even have an Amiga when I was there.

They certainly know how to spend money on sport. This school is exactly the place to focus attention on the problems with funding and budgets. Because the locals decide that if they want to contribute it would be a good idea to build a sports stadium the state and federal budgets must cover basic education. The education that has seen America drop from amongst the top rated countries in the world to a position behind the rest of the western world in Maths and Science.

American companies are buying in expertise, but it is increasingly a case that the top minds are remaining at home. Even if the blue chip names are keeping the HQs at home they are taking not only the low paid manufacturing jobs overseas, but some of the R&D divisions too.

In the up and coming (and probably already there) economies like India and China education is still more important than reliving juvenile sporting fantasies on a Friday night and if they get a lead on science then the US is going to be in big trouble. Your labour force is expensive and unproductive in comparison with other countries at the top end of the manufacturing scale and relying on new technologies, etc. to keep you in the game is not going to last long if you aren't teaching the next generation of scientists

The whole attitude that stirs a local community to spend $60 million on a sports stadium and not on academically oriented programs is exactly the way into a discussion on the glaring funding issues in US education.

Doesn't the US spend more per head on education than nearly any country on earth? I'm not sure there is any relationship between increasing education budgets and increasing attainment, or reducing class sizes and increasing attainment, the budget appears to more of a function of how much it costs to employ teachers in each country.

The main issue in terms of science education in the US has is in what their students are being taught and in what they go on to study, there have never been more going to college. The US has also not got the jobs for them, with huge swathes of employment in the service sector, public sector and such areas that rely on consumption (but are not productive enough to sustain the economy), where are the incentives to go into the depth of a science education? When you factor in that it costs much more to employ in America than near any nation, where are the incentives for industry to flood to the US as opposed to Germany, Japan or the emerging economies and provide those jobs?

There is a logic in working to increase the number of science graduates in the US, as where there is a supply, the demand will follow, however the nature of such large scale planning is that it's very slow to take effect and will miss the economic trends they set out to react to, misjudge and fail to predict the future and can't cater for simple things such as the mobility of people.

My old Primary school in Southport chooses to spend its recession-hit budget on individual ipads for each year 6 student and more ipads for each class of other years. The kids get to take the things home and do all their schoolwork and homework on them. P'sses me off, we didn't even have an Amiga when I was there.

Ah sharing the old bbc Micro to use that little turtle that drew lines.