By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

New Car

Ant

Alright plebs.

Looking for a new car, the main problem being insurance. Not sure whether it''s worth saving up for a car of around £4k and getting a loan to finance about £3k of it. Or going and getting it on HP. Which I'm told everyone can get regardless of their credit rating (mine isn't bad it just doesn't exist).

Ideally I'm looking at spending no more than £200 per month on insurance and a car. I know the likes of a Corsa, Golf, come with free insurance but does anyone have any experience with these schemes?

I was left speechless when a couple of friends told me how much their sons needed to pay to insure their (rubbish) cars. Having just passed my test I was paying about 20% of what they were paying simply down to age.

Have you checked out how much insurance will be Ant for various cars?

If the insurance is that much, at what point does it become cheaper to just not bother and take taxis everywhere instead?

Before moving to Ireland I did that all the time. Taxi to and from work never an issue with going and getting pissed and it was still cheaper than running a car

Alright plebs.

Looking for a new car, the main problem being insurance. Not sure whether it''s worth saving up for a car of around £4k and getting a loan to finance about £3k of it. Or going and getting it on HP. Which I'm told everyone can get regardless of their credit rating (mine isn't bad it just doesn't exist).

Ideally I'm looking at spending no more than £200 per month on insurance and a car. I know the likes of a Corsa, Golf, come with free insurance but does anyone have any experience with these schemes?

you probably know this already, but it doesn't hurt saying it , make sure that you include your father or mother as a second driver, as it will reduce the insurance premium

I am 34 and live in Aigburth and my insurance on my 2002 Golf is £900.... that is the cheapest by far that I can get.... I have 6 years NCB as only passed my test at 29.

its £300 at the postcode where I grew up in Worcestershire....

Elephant insurance do a bonus accelerator which is handy.... get 10 months insurance and you get a years NCB.... its just a way of accumulating them quicker... and they are a recognised NCB for any insurance company you go with later down the line... not just with Elephant.

Though from my experience the NCB count for f*** all to be honest... whether its 2, 5 or 10 years

I have 12 years NCB on my motorbike and the insurance is still £700 but that's a Yamaha R1 in Liverpool

You also might want to check the terms and conditions of the free insurance deals... Vauxhall only give you free insurance if you have passed your test over a year ago.

Though from my experience the NCB count for f*** all to be honest... whether its 2, 5 or 10 years

Definitely not true, I initially forgot to send my proof of NCD when I changed insurance and my premiums went up from £45 a month to £155 a month.

Admiral do the accelerated NCD thing as well.

Alright plebs.

As a new driver the golf will cost you minimum of £3k a year to insure if you are lucky - VW are likely not to offer you the free insurance either.

Looking for a new car, the main problem being insurance. Not sure whether it''s worth saving up for a car of around £4k and getting a loan to finance about £3k of it. Or going and getting it on HP.

Anecdotally, a few mates of mine got cars on HP at your age and regretted it hugely. After a year or so they were stuck with cars they didn't particularly want, with large monthly payments, and the value of the car far below what they still owed. I remember one of them had his car stolen and was over the moon when the coppers said it was a write-off.

I'd probably go for the loan option if I were you.

Hang on...

Looking for a new car, the main problem being insurance
Insurance isn't really a problem as such.
Edited by cymrococh

Anecdotally, a few mates of mine got cars on HP at your age and regretted it hugely. After a year or so they were stuck with cars they didn't particularly want, with large monthly payments, and the value of the car far below what they still owed. I remember one of them had his car stolen and was over the moon when the coppers said it was a write-off.

I'd probably go for the loan option if I were you.

Hang on...

I know I'm being confusing!

saw my cousin's lad on monday and he's just passed his test and got his first car. one litre vauxhall corsa or something i think it is. his insurance was three f***ing grand.

Yeah, three grand was more or less the figure I was being quoted by my friends. One of them decided not to bother and bought his son and Ipad instead.

My insurance is around £380 on a new license, no NCD. When I tweaked my age down to 21 on a comparison site that increased to £2000. Insane.

Insurance companies are checking on this dual driver thing now, especially if they're at different addresses. Two mates of mine have been asked for proof of them driving the car regularly, though how the f*** you prove that I don't know.

getting a named driver on there brings it right down too.....

Weirdly when I was learning to drive it brought my wifes car insurance down getting me on her insurance as a named driver, despite obviously being a bigger risk.

haha

Same here. Put me on as a named driver and the quote from M&S insurance was actually less. Very odd.

"I asked for a car and they gave me an Ipad"

To be fair there's only so much love you can give a child.

Ant if I were you I would get a good bike and kill two birds with one stone (keep costs down and keep fit)

I presume AIMES have showers and things in their state-of-the-art offices

I'm not biking to work!

There is a state of the art gym being built on site which is going to be ace, so that will keep me fit. Well that's the idea anyway. Audi TT's about 10 years old are relatively cheap as well!

Insurance isn't really a problem as such. My insurance isn't too bad as I have a box in it but with many firms offering free insurance with their cars I wonder if it's worth while?

Is that one of those monitoring boxes? My mates son has one of those and has been getting grief lately for doing 35 in a 30 and them saying that this will void his insurance.

Definitely not true, I initially forgot to send my proof of NCD when I changed insurance and my premiums went up from £45 a month to £155 a month.

Admiral do the accelerated NCD thing as well.

They all have a base premium and adjust that based on your NCD, so you pay what you would have paid anyway. Most insurers use NCD differently so it's a bit of a toss up.

If you don't provide proof of NCD they will shoot it up to the base premium.

Is that one of those monitoring boxes? My mates son has one of those and has been getting grief lately for doing 35 in a 30 and them saying that this will void his insurance.

That's because he's doing 35 in a 30.